Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Creating A multi-sample from existing samples

View previous topic :: View next topic  
kathnrich1

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 6:26 pm    Post subject: Creating A multi-sample from existing samples Reply with quote

I have deleted a multi-sample but the created samples still exist. Is there a way to create a new multi-sample using the already created samples that are still there but not tied to a multi-sample? I cannot figure a way to tir these created samples to a new MS!!
pete.m

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's easily done. In sampling mode, on any of the first four pages indicated by those tabs at the bottom of the screen ('Recording' through to 'Multisample'), click on that long, thin multisample window near the top of the page. That will open up a list of all of your existing MSs. Scroll down to the first empty slot and click on it. You'll be invited to create a new MS.

Once you've done that, click on the multisample tab at the bottom of the page, and then assign the samples to the new MS. Once they are all assigned, click on the button in the top right of the multisample page and click 'convert MS to program'. Remember to save all the sampling data when you back up your work!
kathnrich1

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Pete, when you say assign, is it assign each and every sample one at a time? I sampled a Mellotron and would have to do each note individually? Or is there a way to assign a "group" of samples all at once?
It did work what you said if I re-entered one sample at a time....TY!!! Much better then loosing the whole hours worth of work.!!! TY again.
pete.m

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It depends on what you are trying to sample.

I use sampling a lot to create new drum kits, and in that instance I assign each individual sample to one key. So I end up with an MS of 61 different drum samples.

In your particular case, you have a choice. You can sample each key of the mellotron individually, and assign them as above. Or you could just sample some of the keys - maybe every fourth, fifth or sixth key - and assign them with a range. So, for example, if you were to sample every fifth key on the mellotron, you could then assign it to the same key on the Kronos, but set a range of two notes above and below that key (i.e. five notes in total). In that way, you'll only need to sample about 12 notes to do the job.

What you decide to do will depend on the character of the instrument you are sampling, and what you want from it. Some instruments are so individual that you may wish to sample most or all of the keys. Others - maybe synth patches on another synth - will be so uniform that you will only need to sample a small number of notes. You may only be interested in one or two octaves of a particular sound, and so might sample individual keys in that area, and only every sixth note for the bits you'll never really use.

One more thing. The wider the gap you leave between samples, the less natural your sampling will sound - in certain cases, of course, that might be exactly the effect you're after!
kathnrich1

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TY for the advise!!
This has been a BIG help as I was losing samples and MS's!!!!!
KK
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi there,

If you can still sample a real Mellotron or have the complete set of 35 separate samples (from G3 to F6), for optimal realism I recommend to assign all of them the same on the Kronos. This is because the Mellotron true signature and charm is that all notes were recorded using a slightly different temperament/intonation.

For example, the Mellotron violin G3 key is the only one recorded without vibrato, since it's the lowest note on a violin and it's impossible for the string player to create a vibrato on an open string.
kathnrich1

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HI KK and TY.
Yes each individual note was recorded from my Mellotron to the Kronos with each note length in its entirety. Correct, no other way to this instrument the justice it was created for..!!
KK
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 11:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kathnrich1 wrote:
HI KK and TY.
Yes each individual note was recorded from my Mellotron to the Kronos with each note length in its entirety. Correct, no other way to this instrument the justice it was created for..!!

Hi kathnrich1, that's great !

I did the same with my old (and now sold) M400S, except I created loops on the Kronos for infinite length notes.

I also added two fun effects on the Kronos to better imitate the feel of my old M400S :

1) Because the tapes on mine were pretty used (and they tend to get even more wear in the first seconds as you don't always play long notes), I added a slight gradual amplitude increase to imitate the gain in volume as I advance through the "tapes" on the Kronos.

2) I also assigned a slight pitch decrease on the Kronos aftertouch to emulate the loss in motor speed when I was pushing harder on the M400S keys.

There are quite a few advantages of course with the Kronos, no tape wear, probably about 75 lbs less to carry compared to the real thing, no stuck tapes, etc. Wink

Just curious, what are the three sounds you have on yours ? On mine I had strings, choir and flute.
kathnrich1

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 12:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey KK
I had an M400 with Strings, Choir, Cello, I now have an M400D I bought directly from Marcus in Sweden.
KK
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 1:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kathnrich1 wrote:
Hey KK
I had an M400 with Strings, Choir, Cello, I now have an M400D I bought directly from Marcus in Sweden.

Cool ! Cool
kathnrich1

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

M4000D not M400D...duh.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: