Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Possible new Krome user - questions
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
lparsons21

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2018 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I decided that I wanted a pure workstation as well as the Casio arranger/workstation, so I ordered a Krome 61 key used off of Ebay, should get it sometime late next week.

In my research of the different workstations, I found it odd that the Korg Kross could do .wav outputs but the Krome does not. Seems weird that a more advanced version would have something less than the lesser one. I have to wonder why.

Thanks for all the feedback and suggestions, they were very much appreciated.
Koekepan
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2018 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My best guess is that they designed the Kross to be the bottom of the range, but able to cover (in principle) all bases (though not very completely).

The Krome was designed specifically for instrumentalists and synthesists, and completely ignored audio as a separate feature.

I agree that it was a questionable choice, but I just record what I compose in the Krome direct from its audio out.
lparsons21

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2018 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's what I'll do. Either via a small mixer board I've got somewhere into a computer for some massaging, or straight into the Casio as a wav sample capture.
Koekepan
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2018 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I keep a tiny handheld Tascam recorder around. Cheap, works great, and lets me also record live sound such as acoustic guitar.

But whatever works. Let us know how you like the Casio for what it does.
lparsons21

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2018 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will. I'm still in the early stages of learning with it and to evaluate whether I'll keep it or get a PA-600 or PA-700 instead. I'm on a time clock for doing that.

BTW, got the Krome 61 key yesterday and fiddled just a little with it. Got it used on Ebay and it is in pristine condition. Nary a scratch or any evidence it had ever been used. Even the manual and CD look brand new. Paid $745 total for it which is a significant savings over new.

On the Casio I'm primarily interested in the useage and programming of the Pads. Unfortunately the books from Casio are not very good and all too many of the YouTube videos that might help are not in English. So far it sounds quite good even with its internal speakers, the keybed is fine and sound/rhythm/styles are quite good.
lparsons21

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2018 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a quickie about the Casio MZ-X500. The jury is in, it is going back. It has a lot to like and seems like it would most likely do everything I would want to do with it, IF I could figure out how to do it!

And that’s the sad fact. The Owners manual is fairly sparse and the Tutorial manual isn’t a tutorial at all, more like short descriptions of what you can do with little on how you would do it. And the near total lack of video tutorials in English just adds to the frustration.

I’ll be doing the swap Monday and getting a PA-700.
Koekepan
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2018 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fair enough. Training and documentation are well-known sources of customer satisfaction, and perhaps Casio fell down on those grounds.
lparsons21

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2018 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Koekepan wrote:
Fair enough. Training and documentation are well-known sources of customer satisfaction, and perhaps Casio fell down on those grounds.

Lack of tutorial videos is the #1 complaint on the Casio forums, pretty much followed closely by poor documentation. Couple that with a very non-busy forum and you've got issues. I have to give credit to their forum expert though, he is very helpful and knowledgeable. But I was uncomfortable with the relatively low amount of traffic on the forum in the MZ-X500 section.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Krome All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: