Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Newbie question about connections and hardware

View previous topic :: View next topic  
pianogospel

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2018 5:17 pm    Post subject: Newbie question about connections and hardware Reply with quote

Hi guys, sorry for this newbie question but I do prefer to ask masterminds than try by myself and make mistakes.

I have a Korg Kronos and two JBL monitors. The connections between Kronos and the JBL monitors are made by two TRS balanced cables. I have zero experience in studio equipments/hardware and audio connections.

I would like to use the Kontakt software and I have a pc with Windows.

Can anybody tell me what do I need to have/do to connect the Kronos on my pc and as a result a sound with no response delay / latency and good quality?

On this moment I have two TRS balanced cables, a korg kronos and a pc with windows.

I'm trying to find this answer and I think I need an audio interface, but as I already said, I don't know the best alternative for an audio interface to use with this configuration. I prefer an AI with low cost (preferable) and my objective is to connect the kronos on the laptop, no other instruments or microphones. And I don't know if I need any other equipment/hardware.

Thanks for all

Marcos
Falcon2e
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2018 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello and welcome. I know nothing about Kontakt software, but I do know TRS cables are the best to use from your K to an amp or mixer. If you want to use good quality 2 conductor cables they will work fine if they're not over 10 - 12 feet. (3 meters)

Are your JBL's powered? If not you'll need some kind of amp.
pianogospel

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2018 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Falcon, the monitors are powered (model lsr308).

Thanks
ronnfigg
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2018 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To connect your Kronos to a PC you would use a USB cable similar to the kind you would use on a printer. A type A connector on one end and a type B connector on the other end. The A connector is the rectangular one and the B connector is the square one. And if I'm not mistaken (because I have never done it) this should bring the audio from the Kronos into your PC. As far as getting the sounds out of your PC into your speaker arrangement, you can probably use the audio outputs on your computer, although I know many people add an extra audio interface for this purpose, since most of the ones on the PC I believe are fairly generic. As far as experimenting and making mistakes goes- this is how we learn things. Having things handed to you on a silver platter do not lend themselves to retention. This is the beauty of music. There are always do-overs. I would also recommend searching thePDF manuals. The OG is good for procedural knowledge and the PG is good for getting down into the nuts-and-bolts of the operation of the Kronos.
psionic311
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2018 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like ronnfigg said, all you need is a USB cable.

Your Kronos is already an audio interface, so you don't really need to buy another audio interface. You can play your Kontakt software through your JBL speakers just by using a USB cable between your PC and the Kronos.
voip
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2018 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The USB cable between PC and Kronos will also allow the Kronos to act as a MIDI controller for Kontakt. The Korg MIDI drivers need to be installed before connecting the Kronos.

pianogospel

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2018 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, but, when I read about audio interfaces many users said that it was necessary because it turns the latency off or almost that, and that a direct connection with pc can turn up the latency, is it not true?

And, don't I need an audio interface to use its output audio?

Will I connect the speakers direct on the kronos?

Thanks
ronnfigg
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2018 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pianogospel wrote:
Sorry, but, when I read about audio interfaces many users said that it was necessary because it turns the latency off or almost that, and that a direct connection with pc can turn up the latency, is it not true?

And, don't I need an audio interface to use its output audio?

Will I connect the speakers direct on the kronos?

Thanks

What "psionic311" said above. You would connect the Kronos directly to the speakers. Not sure about latency. Maybe psionic311 can clarify if he is familiar working with this configuration.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: