Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

OG Kronos-73 end panels

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bach42t

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 11:10 pm    Post subject: OG Kronos-73 end panels Reply with quote

Does anyone know if the L and R end panels are still available? I look at them the wrong way and they get scratches. I understand Parts is Parts which may have had these list items and discontinued, but sometimes they are still available from Korg.
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it were me, I would call nearest Korg auth service outlets to see if they have them
Bach42t

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 2:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GregC wrote:
If it were me, I would call nearest Korg auth service outlets to see if they have them

Thanks, email sent. Hopefully we get some good answers. Either I look at it wrong or my one year old is sneaking over there and rubbing his paws on it.
Bach42t

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bad news - no more end panels and no suitable replacements are available. Note to self - next Korg workstation, or any other synth for that matter that is released I will purchase spares when I purchase the instrument. This is unfortunate, especially for those that gig and accidents happen. Perhaps the next option would be a 3D printer to generate replacements.
Sweat

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like this custom look. Perhaps something like this is available?
http://www.synave.de/kronos-darksides/
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bach42t wrote:
Bad news - no more end panels and no suitable replacements are available. Note to self - next Kong workstation, or any other synth for that matter that is released I will purchase spares when I purchase the instrument. This is unfortunate, especially for those that gig and accidents happen. Perhaps the next option would be a 3D printer to generate replacements.

Questions on replacement components come up all the time.

They have warranted that they would have parts available for
' x' years after production stops.

Kronos is still available for sale , Korg still assembles them and obviously the parts are available.

So something is not making sense here.

" not available " could be a brush off term for ' out of stock '.

I would keep pushing on Service and start complaining and demand an ETA
on the end panels.

FYI, complaining here is not very useful if you are trying to get Korgs attention.

Be more direct with service AND product support. At the same time.

Thats what I would do.
geoelectro
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They don’t still make the early side panels and in my experience as a service tech, cabinet parts are the first group of parts to be discontinued. In fact, they estimate the future need for parts for normal distribution. However, if a part ends up being troublesome due to a design issue or with the case of the end pieces, damage from use that is higher than expected, those parts tend to go away first because of higher orders.

I think someone made replacements made out of wood when people wanted wood ends before the K2 came out.

Geo
N.I. Komplete 11, Omnisphere 2, VB-3.
HP i7 8GB Win 10
Yamaha P-80 Weighted Keyboard. NanoPad2
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

geoelectro wrote:
They don’t still make the early side panels and in my experience as a service tech, cabinet parts are the first group of parts to be discontinued. In fact, they estimate the future need for parts for normal distribution. However, if a part ends up being troublesome due to a design issue or with the case of the end pieces, damage from use that is higher than expected, those parts tend to go away first because of higher orders.

I think someone made replacements made out of wood when people wanted wood ends before the K2 came out.

Geo

Sure, lets assume Korg does not make them, as you suggest.

Korg has the ability to issue a Purchase Order to their vendor to produce a parts supply, lets estimate a # ( 500 sets ?).

I am not passive about a co planning to run out of any part, especially when the $3500 keyboard is in production , selling at retail.

Korg makes plenty of $ selling the Kronos. So its a matter of company will and customer service direction on providing adequate parts supply.

BTW, I still think there is a fair chance, the end panels are available per normal
service co activity. Could be a matter, of simply persisting and finding them, talking to the 'right ' person.
Bach42t

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

geoelectro wrote:

I think someone made replacements made out of wood when people wanted wood ends before the K2 came out. This is really unfortunate now, I do not feel confident shipping my Kronos even in it's factory box. I do not feel comfortable taking it on gigs either, because I don't want to lose it's appearance.

Geo

Unfortunately, I was basing my timing off of a previous incident where I had a Korg Z1 delivered to me with a damaged end panel. I remember that was in 2006, and the Z1 had been discontinued back in the late 90s and end caps were still available in the mid-2000s. The Z1 also shared the same chassis as the Trinity. The Kronos does not share with another model. I agree I don't think that manufacturers are retaining these stocks, it's just the way manufacturing is now and production is faster, cheaper and quicker. Product cycles are turning over much quicker. There are some threads around 2014 or so sourcing these parts, so end caps for the original Kronos may have sold out very quickly.

Somewhat of an obsession of mine now, I have considered emailing a few different large repair operations to hopefully procure a set. I have also considered seeking out a used set in any condition to have 3D printed or sent to the far East for fabrication in the form of a large enough lot to be able to offer as replacements for other owners. I have to imagine there is still a professional market: the performers that gig with their Kronos all the time and will encounter the need for replacements. This will also drive me for future workstations purchases, to also order one or two more sets now that I know they will discontinue quick.
SeedyLee
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 3:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just my 2c here, and I might be wrong ...

My understanding is that ensuring adequate parts supply is the responsibility of the distributor in each region or country. This is partly because the consumer laws around parts supply differ in each country.

Whilst it would be nice if Korg Japan kept spare inventory, I can understand them wanting to minimize excess inventory holdings and push this liability to the distributors.

Part holdings also tend to be based on the expected Mean Time Before Failure and the total number of replacements required over the serviceable life of the device. What's the MTBF of a trim piece on the external casing? Pretty low I'd expect - most failures are likely to be due to accidents rather than failures.

All that being said, I did purchase some endcaps for my OG Kronos 61 from the Australian distributor about 9 months ago, so there might still be some around.
Korg Kronos 2 88, Reface CS, Roland JV-1080, TE OP1, Moog Subsequent 37, Korg ARP Odyssey, Allen & Heath Zed 18, Adam F5, MOTU MIDI Express XT, Lexicon MX200 & MPX1, Yamaha QY700, Yamaha AW16G, Tascam DP008ex, Zoom H6, Organelle, Roland J6 & JU06A

Previous: Triton LE 61/Sampling/64MB/4GB SCSI, MS2000BR, Kronos 1 61, Monotribe, NanoKontrol, NanoKeys, Kaossilator II, Casio HT3000, Roland VP-03, Reface DX, Novation Mininova, MPC One
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 3:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SeedyLee wrote:
Just my 2c here, and I might be wrong ...

My understanding is that ensuring adequate parts supply is the responsibility of the distributor in each region or country. This is partly because the consumer laws around parts supply differ in each country.

Whilst it would be nice if Korg Japan kept spare inventory, I can understand them wanting to minimize excess inventory holdings and push this liability to the distributors.

Part holdings also tend to be based on the expected Mean Time Before Failure and the total number of replacements required over the serviceable life of the device. What's the MTBF of a trim piece on the external casing? Pretty low I'd expect - most failures are likely to be due to accidents rather than failures.

All that being said, I did purchase some endcaps for my OG Kronos 61 from the Australian distributor about 9 months ago, so there might still be some around.

Thats a sound theory. In the case of our o/p, he is in the USA.

Thus Korg USA is responsible for providing adequate parts supply to authorized US service outlets. Per your assumption.

And when writing to Product Support at Korg I am 95% sure its going to Korg USA.

My same assertion holds. Korg USA can issue a Purchase Order to a vendor to make the end caps.

If I were President of Korg USA, taking care of my Kronos customers is #1.
No excuses.

Again, I am not totally convinced there is a shortage. If Korg USA states they don't have any and the service centers are empty , that would be conclusive.

Even so, I recall reading somewhere that Korg would offer parts for a period of time after a product EOL.

If so, Korg USA or whatever Distributor has to back this up.
SeedyLee
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 5:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Absolutely! I'm in complete agreement.

There's definitely a market there for the endcaps in particular, the question is what the markup on a second run would need to be to bridge any gap between the minimum order quantity and that expected demand. No one is going to pay $300 for end caps (or would they?)
Korg Kronos 2 88, Reface CS, Roland JV-1080, TE OP1, Moog Subsequent 37, Korg ARP Odyssey, Allen & Heath Zed 18, Adam F5, MOTU MIDI Express XT, Lexicon MX200 & MPX1, Yamaha QY700, Yamaha AW16G, Tascam DP008ex, Zoom H6, Organelle, Roland J6 & JU06A

Previous: Triton LE 61/Sampling/64MB/4GB SCSI, MS2000BR, Kronos 1 61, Monotribe, NanoKontrol, NanoKeys, Kaossilator II, Casio HT3000, Roland VP-03, Reface DX, Novation Mininova, MPC One
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SeedyLee wrote:
Absolutely! I'm in complete agreement.

There's definitely a market there for the endcaps in particular, the question is what the markup on a second run would need to be to bridge any gap between the minimum order quantity and that expected demand. No one is going to pay $300 for end caps (or would they?)

Appearance is important on a $3500 keyboard. No one ( or few) would buy or pay $2000 for a Kronos that has been trashed/trashed cosmetically. IMO.

We can safely use a 7 yr old Honda as an example. I wouldn't drive it around with a smashed bumper. Certainly not for long.

I can work the #'s and the costs. Customer service is expensive.
That cost has to be built into the annual budget as its necessary. Thats part of business planning.

Running out of necessary replacement components on a $3500 w/s still in production is not business planning. Gouging customers $300 end caps is also not business planning. IMO.

To be fair, if I screwed up and trashed the end caps on my K, I can justify $200 for a set. Thats the way I see it.
SeedyLee
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GregC wrote:

We can safely use a 7 yr old Honda as an example. I wouldn't drive it around with a smashed bumper. Certainly not for long.

Well, except the initial purchase price of the Honda was probably in the order of ten times higher than the cost of the Kronos, and therefore the expectation about its serviceable life (and therefore parts holdings) is also higher.

But even in the case of a 7 year old Honda it may still be hard to get ahold of a brand new bumper from the manufacturer. In many cases the bumper may be repaired instead of replaced.

In the case of a scratched Kronos end cap, nothing to stop it being refinished in the same way that a scratched bumper might be.

GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SeedyLee wrote:
GregC wrote:

Well, except the initial purchase price of the Honda was probably in the order of ten times higher than the cost of the Kronos, and therefore the expectation about its serviceable life (and therefore parts holdings) is also higher.

But even in the case of a 7 year old Honda it may still be hard to get ahold of a brand new bumper from the manufacturer. In many cases the bumper may be repaired instead of replaced.

In the case of a scratched Kronos end cap, nothing to stop it being refinished in the same way that a scratched bumper might be.

ok. most analogies are flawed. don't go by top line 30,000 car vs 3,000 keyboard.

My context was always replacement. Not repair.
I understand there is usually a frugal approach.

And owners interest in appearance. And maintaining resale.
Thats where my analogy has some weight. I am proud of maintaining
my 7 yr old Honda CR-V. I am proud of maintaining my 7 yr old Kronos.

I think there is a good % of folks that have pride of ownership. They are particular, discerning. It extends
to higher priced items, such as houses, certain possessions. Its a subjective thing.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: