Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

How to install more than 3 EXs libraries into my new Kronos2
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2018 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KK wrote:
If we forget about the GM bank, we have only... 2560 programs. Laughing

Well, if some think it is not enough, maybe it's time to clean things up a bit. Unless your gigs last 14 hours each and cover an incredibly wide variety of

I made that point some months ago ( or yrs ago).
Plus I have quite a collection of USB sticks as backup and storage.

Recall a few replies that told me that many do not want to spend the time on
'house keeping '. Time is also a limited commodity.

Keep in mind many owners are spoiled by 500 gig or 1 TB storage. And its cheap. I know this is not exactly apples to apples comparison.

So to have such a limitation for a $3500 device , after all these years, does illustrate Korg needs to get on it.

If its physically possible with the current OS. Which is why it would be great to get expert assemmsnet on the K2. If there is headroom without causing other problems.
AntonySharmman
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2018 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KK wrote:
we read that 2560 programs is a serious limitation. Not for me ! Very Happy

The real limitation is that the any 2000 HD1 crappy sounds are wasting slots and the extra Ram space (default Rom) ,
that are precious for just some hundred of decent sounds that a Musician needs nowadays !
Also 257 organ sounds created by the same sample modeling engine (poor IMO) , or any similar , is not a big deal at all !

It would be more usesful for my usage only as a Musician , if Kronos had been distributed completely empty from samples ,
only with analog engines , in lower price and users would had the option to equipe it by purchasing extra libraries that they
would really need from third party developers ! Wink

Keyboards : Steinway-D, Kronos X, Pa5X 76, Pa4X 76, Montage M7 , Roland-XV88, Emu3,Emax II,Synclavier II,Yamaha DX Series, ΟΒ-8V
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2018 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AntonySharmman wrote:
KK wrote:
we read that 2560 programs is a serious limitation. Not for me ! Very Happy

1)The real limitation is that the any 2000 HD1 crappy sounds are wasting slots and the extra Ram space (default Rom) ,
that are precious for just some hundred of decent sounds that a Musician needs nowadays !
Also 257 organ sounds created by the same sample modeling engine (poor IMO) , or any similar , is not a big deal at all !

2) It would be more usesful for my usage only as a Musician , if Kronos had been distributed completely empty from samples ,
only with analog engines , in lower price and users would had the option to equipe it by purchasing extra libraries that they
would really need from third party developers ! Wink

1) This is the point I was trying to make. The sound engines dictate available
program slots. And even so, the HD-1 acoustic instruments range from average to good. But not great or very good.

And that brings up the PCG workaround. It would make sense to just scratch the factory PCG and start with quality 3rd party samples THEN supplement with SGX-1 , AL-1 and CX-3.

I just remembered - all the drums are HD-1. And I rely 100% on Kronos drums.

As you can tell, either I am confused or this custom PCG workaround is awkward to ' manage' the bank limitation. And PCG tools is not OS X. No help there.

2) I agree. This would have been a proactive approach. Of course, our hindsight is perfect Wink
AntonySharmman
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2018 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GregC wrote:
It would make sense to just scratch the factory PCG and start with quality 3rd party samples
Greg , it's not as simple as it looks like ... We've already paid for Korg sound development , a lot of hard work has been done there
but with poor sound resources and also existing Combis development is a great example for Kronos newbies or people with average
knowledge on this , so we can't just delete factory resources and create all resources from scratch ... this is sound developer's
job only and should had been arranged since Kronos birth , primary with Korg Store's developers that should had a complete
alternative full resources solution !

GregC wrote:
As you can tell, either I am confused or this custom PCG workaround is awkward to ' manage' the bank limitation.
And PCG tools is not OS X. No help there.

PCG & Samples arrangement is rather easy if you can understand how things are working , but there are so many parameters in every
premium EXs of third party developers that you will certainly miss something ! I always miss something in mine ... Very Happy
We need a very strong tool (compared to PCG Tools) , like PaManager II of PaSeries , in order to re-arrange PCG in deep level with WS ,
Drumkits , samples Bank ID etc ... Complete PCG Job can't be achieved with just copying Programs & Combis !
Kronos OS bank references change & Program reference change utilities are more important than any free tool out there ...
I always do the job inside Kronos , it's always more safe , my complex WavesArt Suite bundles with working factory Combis at X status
were made manually on Kronos ...

Keyboards : Steinway-D, Kronos X, Pa5X 76, Pa4X 76, Montage M7 , Roland-XV88, Emu3,Emax II,Synclavier II,Yamaha DX Series, ΟΒ-8V
theshinenz

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 1:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

KK wrote:
If we forget about the GM bank, we have only... 2560 programs. Laughing

Well, if some think it is not enough, maybe it's time to clean things up a bit. Unless your gigs last 14 hours each and cover an incredibly wide variety of styles and instruments, there is a good probability you won't need 257 different organs, 387 electric pianos, 1349 synth sounds, etc. On the worse case, you can easily load a different PCG file during the usual pause half way during the gig.

I bought several extra EXs, downloaded quite a few free ones, created my own multisample sets covering all the best sounds of three previous synthesizers and until now, still have space on the stock HD.

As mentioned in Kid Nepro's earlier post and also in my previous post above, simply following a few steps or using a couple of freeware you can move anything and clean up the half gazillion sounds you need only once every 5 blue moons. And also making sure all is still linked to the relative WS and combis, etc.

Some decades ago, I felt I was in Heaven using an incredible 8 memory slots on my Jupiter-4. Today, we read that 2560 programs is a serious limitation. Not for me ! Very Happy

For me personally its not that I cant do what I need with less programs I just that I like to have a larger palette of sound choices when constructing combis etc, its just a bit quicker to flick through on boards sounds of different genres to find what Im looking for. eg a bank of OBX sounds... bank of FM sounds etc but theres not really the space to do that currently.
Galf2

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 4:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are thousands of files in the PC, and the RAM somehow manages this, and than the Korg Kronos is worse? In my opinion, this is done specifically to create an agiotage and confuse for Kronos users, that them life doesn't seemed raspberries.

Maybe we need to write an electronic petition to the Korg. Where to demand the Korg to increase the number of banks at least twice. And to sign the signatures of all the members of this forum who are interested in this. What if this helps?

I just wanted to buy some libraries. But I'm not going to pre-clean the factory programs. I just want to install the libraries and everything. This is a serious question, because the Korg Kronos 2-88 is worth serious money. And the rest of Korg Kronos is a great synthesizer, except these idiotic banks.
AntonySharmman
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Galf2 wrote:
I just wanted to buy some libraries. But I'm not going to pre-clean the factory programs.
I just want to install the libraries and everything. This is a serious question, because the Korg Kronos 2-88 is worth serious money.
And the rest of Korg Kronos is a great synthesizer, except these idiotic banks.

Actually there is no file management real issue in Kronos 2 except the limitation of only 5 free Program Banks that should
had been changed to extra 3-4 more !
In Kronos X factory library the picture is clear , using Factory Preload.KSC we had 1200 Mb of free Ram and 7 free Program banks
that in normal circumstances , filling those 7 Banks with our custom sampled sounds we would had run out of Ram space.
Up to this point all would be fine strictly for user resources ...

The problem begun after circulation of Korg store 200 extra EXs libraries that all need 1-2 extra Program Banks plus WS plus
Drumkit plus individual Global settings ...
Then K2 comes with preset 2 commercial EXs (17-18 ) that have occupied another 2 free Banks U_AA & U_BB while they should
had been placed in internal banks (I) and now 200 extra EXs have been created by third party developers in Korg Store and must
be placed by default in the 5 only free banks with zero support of user customization !

This way , when a user selects up to 4-5 korg store's premium EXs (that is the limit of free Ram) , then happens all EXs to be
intalled in the same U_GG free bank mostly , overwritting each other User WS , Drumkits and Global settings and end-user
definately can not redirect resources and settings especially in complex premium EXs !
This will not change even if Korg will add other 6 Banks ...

All developers claim the same thing ... "Load our PCG & KSC files for our resources and then load back your own PCG Setup" ,
but what will be done when the 90% of users want all their purchased EXs that fit in free Ram , to work simultaneusly with
all Kronos factory resources ?
The obvious solution could be Korg to add extra 200 Program/WS/Drumkits Banks and devote them to specific EXs & developers
in order all to be automated , something that will not happen IMO.

Therefore the only feasible solution for now is every third party developer to customize his resources accordingly to users needs &
vacant banks , this is what WavesArt does for single EXs libraries for more than 6 years and a future OS update is required
to add 8 extra Combi,Program,WS Banks in order multiple EXs management to be easier for sound developers.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: