Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Pa4x - output levels

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jaca63

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2018 5:47 pm    Post subject: Pa4x - output levels Reply with quote

Hi,
I'm a "fresh" owner of Pa4x and new here in the forum. I hope to get one or the other help and/or answer concerning the Pa4x.
So, I have the following question: Does anyone know, which levels have the line outputs Right/Left and Out1/Out2? Is it -10dbV, or + 4dbu, or others? Background: I'm recording audio from Out Left/Right or Out1/2 into the DAW via RME UCX with balanced cables and do not really know which level i have to set in UCX (-10dbV or + +4dbu). I am looking for the optimal setting for the signal from Pa4x into UCX. The outputs are known to be balanced - is that equivalent to + 4dbu? When researching the net and in various forums I found only the hint that one must look in the specification of the Pa4x. Only there is nothing about it. I hope you can help me.

Thanks and regards
D575
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2018 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Consumer line level is usually -10dBV (0.316 volts) and is what you will find in products like a CD player or hi-fi amplifier...Professional line level reference is +4 dBu (1.23 volts or higher) and are found on a mixing desks, wireless systems and signal-processing equipment... so as the PA4X has balanced output I would think it is safe to say they are professional line level and your outputs Left/Right are your main monitor sound ... additional assignable outputs 1/2 can be ideal for isolating a part for additional signal processing or feeding an external mixer etc...
Jaca63

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2018 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi D575,
thank you for your answer, the explanations and tips.That also confirms my guess. Somehow it is strange that this is not specified in a professional device.
I have also tried both settings in UCX and found that the signal at -10dbV is stronger and louder than at + 4dbu. Does that mean something? Is that normal from your point of view?

Thanks and regards
D575
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2018 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok I'm not 100% sure here but I'll take a guess so don't quote me and I stand corrected .....so my guess is the audio interface will need to level out both incoming signals whether it is a -10 or +4 to a similar workable input gain levels inside the audio interface preamps to control distortion (to hot) or noise (to weak)...so inside the audio interface -10 setting is to boost the incoming matching singal and +4 is to reduce the incoming matching signal....this could explain why you here a louder sound from the audio interface set at -10 from the PA4X signal if in both instances the PA4X output signals where identical... could it be then the audio interface set at -10 with the PA4X is in actual fact a little to hot as an input signal for the preamp of your audio interface if we assume the PA4X is equivalent to +4 but this would still give the same results you describe (-10 or +4) from the PA4X as this would be relative.....?
Jaca63

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I understand your guess and I think it's plausible.

I feel the signal at -10dbV too strong. At 100% volume at Pa4x it comes to clipping. If I reduce the volume, then it goes again, but the recording is somehow too pointed (?) and not as relaxed as + 4dbu.
With +4dbu at input of the interface I am therefore correct.

Thanks again for the explanation.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Pa4X All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: