Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Buying a used Kronos 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
LinnetEmerita

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 6:01 pm    Post subject: Buying a used Kronos 2 Reply with quote

I am a newbie with keyboards and looking to buy one used. A couple of decades ago I was blown away by the sounds on a Korg Triton (but couldn’t afford one Smile). I have seen a lightly played Kronos 2 (61 key) on Craigslist recently (for under $1800) but not sure what to ask/look for. Browsing online I see some potential concerns/posts related to the keybed and polyphony but not clear if these are important. Would appreciate any wisdom you can share on buying a used Kronos 2.

Thanks!
leonh

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is like buying any used keyboard turn it on play with it if you can for at least an hour ideally check signs of use the ones who are used for traveling musicians tend to have lots of scratches (they will still work ok).
I usually let keyboard play all on-board demos so you know OS is ok then check keybed and all buttons ect and if you happy there is and ask if is any warranty left good luck.
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 6:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Buying a used Kronos 2 Reply with quote

LinnetEmerita wrote:
I am a newbie with keyboards and looking to buy one used. A couple of decades ago I was blown away by the sounds on a Korg Triton (but couldn’t afford one Smile). I have seen a lightly played Kronos 2 (61 key) on Craigslist recently (for under $1800) but not sure what to ask/look for. Browsing online I see some potential concerns/posts related to the keybed and polyphony but not clear if these are important. Would appreciate any wisdom you can share on buying a used Kronos 2.

Thanks!

yes. Find someone local who has a Kronos ands understands it.
That person can put it thru its paces and properly diagnose it.

Without that, you are at a disadvantage and $1800 cash is a crap shoot.

Our local CL has crooks, etc. Suggest you also ask for proof of original purchase.

You might have better protection if the legit seller takes a credit card
studio460

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sweetwater has a Kronos 61-key B-stock for $2,399 (I've seen them even cheaper). You get free shipping, no tax, 30-day return policy, and a two-year Sweetwater warranty.

Korg Nautilus 61 AT + DS1H + EXP2 | Korg Kronos 2 Platinum 88 | Korg Radias | Korg Kaoss Pad KP3+ | Kaossilator Pro+ | Kronos Remote iOS
PCG Tools v3.2.0 | WavesArt Cinematic Suite EXs

LinnetEmerita

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks all for your advice!
ronnfigg
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Verify that is physically a K2. A K2 has an LED in the "O" of the KORG logo on the rear panel. Is this a dealer or private individual selling this Kronos. Inquire as to why he is selling the Kronos. He may give up some kind of a flaw that he didn't list in the ad. Has he added any expansions to the Kronos? A Kronos 2 comes bundled with some expansions. Also, remember, there is going to be a learning curve. You stated you never had a Triton. I had a Triton. And I jumped up to the Kronos. And there was a hell of a learning curve. But if you've got the time and ambition go for it. It would be a good idea to decide what you need and why you are considering a Kronos. It could be more machine than you need. Not sure what you are used to. Remember there is a Karma engine in there. Karma's cool but do you understand it and will you make good use of it? You might be better off putting the same amount of money or maybe even a little less into something that will get you where you need to be. Are you going to be performing live? Gigging? Anyway, just some things to consider. Besides figuring out whether an $1,800 Kronos is going to serve your needs and be a good investment.
LinnetEmerita

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 2:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks ronnfigg. Great advice.
xp50player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 3:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is no keybed issue in the 61 key models. Polyphony is the same on all generations of Kronos.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: