Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Austrian Grand
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ElevenPhingahz

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2018 3:45 pm    Post subject: Austrian Grand Reply with quote

I know this topic has been kicked down the forum road many times but I'm debating on getting it & wanted to know what the KK sages that already own it think. I like the demo (although hard to fully hear sustain with the demo fade, etc) but slapping down $250.00 of hard earned dough has made me tap the brakes some. I know it's subjective but what do the guys who've been playing the full version say...
Thanks.
KK
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2018 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi there,

It's actually an interesting topic for me, as it's been a while since I tried the demo. I keep only a couple of demos on my K2 and the Austrian grand is one of them. Still haven't purchased it, but it could happen at some point. Reading your thread I just retried it again and enjoy it even more now since I did my last little mod on my K2, namely reduce the height of the sharps one millimeter for optimal performance, but I digress.

I mainly play classical piano, so that is why at some point I might add the Austrian Grand. BTW the GrandStage, which uses the same SGX-2 engine, is equipped with an additional new Italian Grand, but from the info I got from Korg in my neck of the woods it seems unlikely they will offer it for the Kronos in the future, so the Austrian is becoming a bit more interesting to me for that reason as well.

IMHO the weaknesses of the Austrian are : 1) it doesn't have a real una corda separate set of samples and 2) you can hear a few keys sounding a bit out of tune depending on the selected set, even though they are not annoying that much at all.

One aspect I find that can be perceived either as a pro or con depending on the player/pianist is that its dynamic range is not as wide as the Berlin and more comparable to the German and Japanese grands, which were created at around the same time. But it also makes it easier to control compared to the Berlin Grand, which calls for additional playing precision.

Finally, IMHO the strengths of the Austrian are : 1) its distinctive timbre in the different registers compared to the other pianos and 2) the extra low keys as on the Bösendorfer Grand Imperial.
ElevenPhingahz

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2018 3:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool reply, thanks KK. The AP timbre seems like it's just bright enough to cut through the dense underbrush of a live band yet warm enough for intimate solo work. The "out of tune" factor gives a feel of authenticity IMHO, my RD-800 also has the tune drift for some reason.
What's odd to me is there are hardly any youtube vids of the KK Austrian Grand, I figured if it was something Korg was pushing / selling there would be some kind of endorsement vid by a name artist.
dzeykery@gmail.com

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2018 3:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I say the korg samples are WAY to overpriced, only way KORG will come to senses is not buying them. Single piano sample should not cost more that 49$ and even that would be expensive and the most that it should cost.

Instead of buying piano sample I rather saved some money and bought nord electro and use it connected trough midi with my korg kronos. It works like magic, and you have bunch of really great sounds free to use.
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2018 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dzeykery@gmail.com wrote:
I say the korg samples are WAY to overpriced, only way KORG will come to senses is not buying them. Single piano sample should not cost more that 49$ and even that would be expensive and the most that it should cost.

Instead of buying piano sample I rather saved some money and bought nord electro and use it connected trough midi with my korg kronos. It works like magic, and you have bunch of really great sounds free to use.

I agree with you. Korg, as author of their samples on their shop, that have been available for sale for some years, could afford a serious price drop.

Korg has not produced or authored any new samples or programming for Kronos for some years. While Korg Kronos sound products are high quality, I think its unfortunate that they have ceased new sound development.

If I were the Korg president, I would show more development interest in my $3000 ( or $3500) workstation product.

Reducing prices on the Korg Kronos sound software would be good step. The business proposition that some sales at a reduced price is better than next to no sales at an inflated and old price.

Like you, I had my requirements, went to a 2nd board plus diving into VST's.

Its good to have multiple choices that are high quality.
ElevenPhingahz

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2018 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agreed, the price is very steep especially for a working musician who's on a tight budget. I really don't want to bring two boards to a gig, that was the whole point of getting an "all in one" machine like the KK2. It surprised me that the Grand Stage includes the Austrian Grand, you'd think since the Austrian is several years old its would be part of an available free update. Nord (and a few other pro boards) has free sounds available to their customers on their website.
Not complaining, I understand that's the nature of business just wondering.
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2018 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ElevenPhingahz wrote:
Agreed, the price is very steep especially for a working musician who's on a tight budget. I really don't want to bring two boards to a gig, that was the whole point of getting an "all in one" machine like the KK2. It surprised me that the Grand Stage includes the Austrian Grand, you'd think since the Austrian is several years old its would be part of an available free update. Nord (and a few other pro boards) has free sounds available to their customers on their website.
Not complaining, I understand that's the nature of business just wondering.

Grand Stage is new product. Korgs priority is selling that new product.

No surprise it has the austrian grand. They want that stage piano to have it all.
That addition to the GS was next to no cost, I bet.

The business side for a working musician has been very tough for some decades. I couldn't do it. Hope you do great.
runningman67
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2018 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dzeykery@gmail.com wrote:

I agree. too expensive, I have my iPad USB'd with the camera connection kit playing through my Kronos and using the Kronos effects. iSymphonic, Waldorf Nave, Animoog, Garageband and they have some quality sounds for a bit of variation.
ElevenPhingahz

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll probably pass on spending $, seems to be an old "cash cow" Korg will keep in the pasture as long as somebody's willing to cough up.
The board has some good APs already & I'll try to tweak... that being said, why doesn't the KK2 have a good (or decent) upright? For the price tag you'd expect a really good one.
keego

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.kronoscopie.fr/austrian-upright.html

Previous:
Korg:X5D,Wavestation, N364, Trinity,Triton Classic,Triton Studio, Korg M3 61 w/ EXB-Radias
Ensoniq:TS12, SD1, ASR10
Roland:XP10, JD-800, Roland XV88, A90ex
Kurzweil:K2500RS, K2661, PC3
Nord: Electro 3
danmusician
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I purchased the Australian Grand years ago. I never use it. If I could will it to one of you, I'd be happy to do so.
ElevenPhingahz

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the link Keego, tried to load it but no dice, oh well. Yup Danmusician, I'm not too surprised you didn't really use it. It just wasn't pushed very hard as a selling point for Korg but appreciate your kind gesture...
kronoSphere
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And Korg has not even updated the koronos drums patterns for years...
And we still cannot test each of them and listening to at the same time the current song we are workin' on.
These drum patterns are useless because they have been perhaprs created by an enginner and not a musician. All of these drum patterns are full of useless not... : Simplicity must be the nerve of a moving drum pattern.That's it ! Very Happy

https://www.lairdeparis.fr

Current Gear : Kronos 88 / Seaboard Rise / Triton Extreme / Sequoia / Motif Rack XS / TC Helicon voicelive rack /Awave 11 / Audio & VSTi plug-ins connected /wide touchscreen / iPad Pro 512.
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kronoSphere wrote:
And Korg has not even updated the koronos drums patterns for years...
And we still cannot test each of them and listening to at the same time the current song we are workin' on.
These drum patterns are useless because they have been perhaprs created by an enginner and not a musician. All of these drum patterns are full of useless not... : Simplicity must be the nerve of a moving drum pattern.That's it ! Very Happy

Have said it often, the K is EOL IMO. Korg has done no new programming for the K for years. They are the high level experts so I miss all that potential talent.

So much could be done with Kronos drums. That instrument potential has been barely touched, IMO. I have gotten a lot out of Karma drums.

Fortunately, there are many very good alternatives on other platforms.
ElevenPhingahz

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The funny thing is seasoned pros like Jordan Rudess, Herbie Hancock & Jack Hotop are in the Korg orbit all the time, couldnt someone like them endorse the Austrian or other Korg merch?
My point being with artists at that caliber at Korgs disposal there seems to be a disconnect with those type of name musicians & the stuff being hawked on the Korg website.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: