Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

How do you link the red and blue electribes to each other?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
MrMacclesfield

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 7:56 pm    Post subject: How do you link the red and blue electribes to each other? Reply with quote

How do you link the red and blue electribes to each other?
megamarkd
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 11:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MIDI. Plug the MIDI out of one into the MIDI in of the other. Consult the manual on how to set them up to be master and slave. The unit that you have the MIDI cable plugged into the MIDI out of will be your master. Basically you need to tell that one it's going to dictate the tempo and be the start/pause/stop controller of the two. The manual is your friend, so is YouTube. Do a search for Electribe tutorials on there as pictures help a lot for beginners (as does the manual). It would pay to do a search on MIDI basics too. MIDI can be painted to be a nightmare, but it's dead easy with only a couple of instrument to connect.
Stuff I'm using: Umm right now, well there's a Volca Drum, a Micro Freak, an ADX-1, a Pulse, a Blofeld, a UNO Drum, KeyStep/Beatstep Pro/Keystep Pro (one of each), a Circuit, a LiveTrak L-12 and this nonsense: The Brief-case as it was about a bit over a year ago (the the complete ridiculous GAS monster collection here)and here
WestLondoner

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 12:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just want to add this for you, or (for that matter) anyone else who doesn't * yet * realise that midi can only ‘do so much’. And, please don't take this as a patronising post, because I have to admit, back in the day (eh... many moons ago) when I first tried connecting the two electribes, I was under the most embarrasingly mistaken impression that once midi was correctly set-up, that was all I needed to do to link the two machines, and surely the sounds and effects of each would be united by the great wonders of midi. So, of course I wasted a whole evening, in other words, wondering what was wrong with: 1) either/both of my electribes 2) my cables 3) my midi setup? For I expected that all I needed to do, to link two electribes together, and unite their sounds, was connect via midi, and configure the master slave connection and eh.. voila -> bob was your uncle... But... no!

The truth is: midi can only do so much. I'm sure you realise this already, but just in case an inexperienced someone else, comes to this thread later, and also proceeds to waste a whole evening, wondering ...why, after connecting his midi cables, he can’t hear any insert or master effects and the sounds of one electribe are not being reproduced correctly on the other etc.????

Midi sends basic on/off trigger signals between instruments. Midi is best for matching the tempo or basic keypresses only. In other words, once you’ve midi correctly set-up you will need more cables - if you want to work with all the sounds and the exact effects as you hear them, between the two machines, and these cables will most likely need to go from your electribes into a mixer. Repeat: you will need more cables, if you were thinking that midi was magically going to do everything you need to connect two instruments/electribes and work with the sounds of each!

Sorry again to everyone who already knows about the limitations of midi (as most of us do), but we all have to start somewhere, and just in case someone is left scratching their head wondering why the link between the two machines is not sounding the way he thought it would, I write this post to save you the time of wondering what on earth is wrong? Nothing is wrong.

Again, midi just has its limits, which is why you’ve other inputs and outputs on our electribes. Please use them too, if you want to work with all the sounds and effects etc., of each, together.

HTH someone someday, even if not today Smile
1_inch_punch

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 3:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[ -- ]

Last edited by 1_inch_punch on Mon May 14, 2018 3:42 pm; edited 1 time in total
WestLondoner

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Re 1_inch punch - Re "where is this bad info coming from?" Well excuse me! A mixer still has its uses. And once a person becomes comfortable with using one to mix and record, there's no looking back, and for good reason. I didn't say that a mixer was essential either - which IF I did, would have been "bad info", I said "most likely" meaning that a mixer is desirable but by no means essential to connect the two. "More cables" than just midi, just as you've elaborated on in your post, is of course, the option without a mixer.

My main point is that midi isn't everything, and given how old the technology is, that certainly soon becomes apparent - especially to the new, the inexperienced and the unwary (as we all once were). Hence my post. And I did admit that most of us, including yourself, are already well aware of that. You might have realised that before criticising it. I added the above for those few who may stumble across this thread one day, and misunderstand that midi might be all they need for linking electribes - as might be understood from reading the thread up to my post. As good as megamarkd's answer is, the point about midi only being able to do so much, wasn't exactly stressed. Again... hence my post!
1_inch_punch

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 1:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[ -- ]

Last edited by 1_inch_punch on Mon May 14, 2018 3:43 pm; edited 1 time in total
Neon Horn

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just hoping in here. I've experimented with different methods of running the two together. At the end of the day, I found it was best just to use one for master clock, so it'll send start/stop/tempo messages and that's it.

When I tried to use one sequencer to run both units, it had a quirk. When you Switch the pattern on the master sequencer, it automatically sent the program change message to the 2nd electribe (didn't wait to the end of the pattern) so the second electribe went to new patches before the pattern end.

The reason I wanted to do it that way was to alleviate the voice stealing, but only have to worry about programming 1 pattern... alas it didn't work, so I just turned on the midi send/receive filters and used the two units together, but utilizing their individual internal sequencer.

I kept the E2S for drums and voice samples and the E2 for all synth duties... as the filters on the E2 kick ass.

L8r,
WestLondoner

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent addition to this thread, Neon Horn.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Electribe All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: