Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Minilogue midi out to several volcas

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Analog Synths (General)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
airplanehuh

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 2:14 am    Post subject: Minilogue midi out to several volcas Reply with quote

I'm hoping to use my minilogue as a main live performance keyboard and I want to use several volcas as additional voices/sounds to route back to the audio in of the minilogue or to a mixer as needed, but I want to be able to have different patches on the minilogue send to different midi channels out and filter the cc messages as needed to maintain some independence. It seems the minilogue only allows global editing of midi settings.

Am I wrong in my thinking that korg has disallowed using the minilogue as a master controller by limiting the internal midi options and where they apply?

Is a midi solutions or retrokits cable the only way to do this sort of thing? Im ultimately trying to achieve this without the use of a computer or ios system because a minilogue and a few volcas would give me plenty of live sound options with very few pieces of gear.

Perhaps buying a midi controller and a thru box to control everything is another good option and would cost about the same as buying a programmable midi solutions box.

Is anyone using these to perform live without computers? I am not seeing many videos of people using minilogues on stage. I may be the only computer resistant synth enthusiast left, ha.
megamarkd
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2018 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't think that Korg "disallowed" anything with their MIDI implementation. Minilogue isn't multitimbrel so doesn't need to run on more that one MIDI channel. A synthesiser with such functions come with multi-track sequencers generally and need to be run in sequencer mode. Multitimbrel synths will have a way to zone the keyboard and (usually) send a different MIDI channel for each zone, but Minilogue is only a single timbre.

Extensive MIDI filtering beyond things like prog change and sysex is again something you need to get a more utility type device for. Korg have their off/on setting for what they are calling "short messages", sysex and prog change, but that as techy as they get on their sub $1000 dollar synths.

Grabbing iConnectivity MIDI patchbay would cover all the things you are wishing for as far as routing and filtering is concerned and a nice 49key controller with knobs and sliders will fill the other wants and needs. Do some reading on the controller keyboards out there and make sure the controller you buy has keyzoning or a MIDI channel sellection button on the front face. I liked the Novation SL range, but they are out of production and Novation haven't replaced them with anything as versatile. Arturia make some nice and very customisable controllers. Hey, even look at Korg's range of controllers. But whatever you buy, read up on it big time before pulling out the cash. Reselling poor purchase is a real pain and often costly due to the 30% drop in value as soon as the carton is open.
Stuff I'm using: Umm right now, well there's a Volca Drum, a Micro Freak, an ADX-1, a Pulse, a Blofeld, a UNO Drum, KeyStep/Beatstep Pro/Keystep Pro (one of each), a Circuit, a LiveTrak L-12 and this nonsense: The Brief-case as it was about a bit over a year ago (the the complete ridiculous GAS monster collection here)and here
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Analog Synths (General) All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: