Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

X5DR Sound module Distortion

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Trevor05

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2018 3:14 am    Post subject: X5DR Sound module Distortion Reply with quote

I have a a X5DR which distorts several minutes after powering up. I don't have the original power supply so am using a generic 12 volt power supply. I noticed that its rated at 500 milliamps though the unit says it need 700 milliamp current. Could this be causing the distortion. I doubt its a leaky capacitor as it seems to work fine for the first couple of minutes. Can someone out there advise if changing the power supply might fix this problem. Thanks
voip
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2018 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are many possible sources of distortion. A failing power supply is just one of them. Current and power consumption figures printed on ratings labels are always given as worst case. I cannot speak for the X5DR, specifically, but most Korg devices consume half or less of the rated current on average, though it may peak close to the rated value when the device is busy e.g. when changing patches, or a heavy use of effects processors. 12V 1A power supplies are inexpensive and will give plenty of headroom, so there's little to be lost in trying a replacement, centre or tip negative, of course.

Other possible causes include oxidation of audio jacks and plugs, leading to poor contacts. Turning or wiggling the output jacks will soon reveal if this is the cause. Internal inter printed circuit board connections may have become poor, D to A converters may have developed a fault, the master volume potentiometer may have become noisy, electrolytic capacitor(s) may have gone bad....

Distortion doesn't appear to be a common problem for the X5DR.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> New Members Zone All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: