Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Reach your music goals with Kronos

View previous topic :: View next topic  
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2018 11:34 am    Post subject: Reach your music goals with Kronos Reply with quote

https://medium.com/@nicolascole77/7-reasons-people-give-up-on-their-goals-too-early-479afa1ffa41

From the article (snip):

Too many people judge success by the day — which isn’t realistic, and here’s why.
They set a really big goal, usually something that combines the proficiency of multiple skill sets, each of which would take years to master. That goal is then tied to some sort of hope relating to external validation....

1) They want the outcome more than they want to obtain a skill.

2) They care too much about what people think (and fear judgment in failure).

3) They mistake failure for lessons learned.

4) They would rather throw in the towel than pivot.

5) They do not have the discipline to stick with their idea long enough to see it live.

6) They get distracted by what someone else is doing.

7) They don’t believe in themselves enough.
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2018 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The numbered paragraphs might resonate.

#2 was my nemesis for decades. Its similar to ' my playing sucks '.
Even worse its ordinary and attracts crickets.

I think some musicians , us creative types, suffer from being sensitive.

The world is a often a harsh and judging place. Thats a condition of our evolution, I think.
karmathanever
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2018 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agree Greg

Let's face it, Music is art and there ain't no way you'll please everyone.
But I reckon that if you love what you create, then that's 95% of the battle won!!!

Of course one has to please a paying audience but that's another matter.

Great post!!!

Pete Very Happy
...and play lots of music Very Happy
------------------------------------------------------------------
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2018 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

karmathanever wrote:
Agree Greg

But I reckon that if you love what you create, then that's 95% of the battle won!!!

Of course one has to please a paying audience but that's another matter.

Great post!!!

Pete Very Happy

Thank you, Pete !

You are wise about our art not pleasing everyone. I would settle for a few more
'some one's ' Wink

I have become idealistic at this stage of life. There is zero money connected with my music madness. I disassociate mercenary demands from artistic expression. Its liberating, I think.
PCFREE
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2018 7:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great post, Greg !

....as we forgive those who synthesize against us!!
Joe Gerardi
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

karmathanever wrote:

Pete Very Happy

To me, music is 95% practice, 5% art. One can be artistic as they want, but if they don't learn the technique, they ain't never gonna be able to play Chopin, Emerson/Wakeman's runs, or a fugue. Scales, arpeggios, they gotta be practiced until they're boring, and then one can practice their art.

A good friend is a professor of drawing at SCAD- I recently learned that even Leonardo and Rembrandt drew out their sketches in charcoal on the canvas before they painted them, and drew them over and over until they had the design they wanted. Again, they had to practice what they were doing, before the masterpieces took shape.

..Joe
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2018 5:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joe Gerardi wrote:
karmathanever wrote:

Pete Very Happy

To me, music is 95% practice, 5% art. One can be artistic as they want, but if they don't learn the technique, they ain't never gonna be able to play Chopin, Emerson/Wakeman's runs, or a fugue. Scales, arpeggios, they gotta be practiced until they're boring, and then one can practice their art.

I get that approach. Time is my constraint. I figure I have 20 yrs remaining
on this planet.

I am not going to be practicing scales 90% of the time for the next 20 yrs or when arthritis totally kicks in

I will never be a Emerson/Wakeman. I can handle a few parts here and there.
Thats adequate for my purposes.

As a practical matter, I am the flip side of your equation.

90% art/song writing. 10% technique. I am getting results
kronoSphere
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2018 6:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello GregC, Joe is right : practising and practising again and again gives the agility of the squirrel not only for running faster than the others with panache but most of all but especially to avoid all obstacles that divert us from being ourselves. Long live the musical forest Greg ! Very Happy

https://www.lairdeparis.fr

Current Gear : Kronos 88 / Seaboard Rise / Triton Extreme / Sequoia / Motif Rack XS / TC Helicon voicelive rack /Awave 11 / Audio & VSTi plug-ins connected /wide touchscreen / iPad Pro 512.
kronoSphere
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2018 6:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fix : I wanted to say: "especially not to run faster than the others" and I also add that in music we must run away from the false expression which is the real big danger.

https://www.lairdeparis.fr

Current Gear : Kronos 88 / Seaboard Rise / Triton Extreme / Sequoia / Motif Rack XS / TC Helicon voicelive rack /Awave 11 / Audio & VSTi plug-ins connected /wide touchscreen / iPad Pro 512.
Joe Gerardi
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2018 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GregC wrote:
I figure I have 20 yrs remaining

I hear you. That's what I figure I have before I'm dead, and it makes playing the violin more difficult, because it requires NO tension when you play. My teacher an I have sometimes worked on the same piece for over a year to get it right, and while a little frustrating, it does create more beautiful music.

The reason I wrote what I did is because if you can't play the music you're writing, you'll never get it out there, because you can't make the sound you're hearing in your head.

..Joe
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2018 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joe Gerardi wrote:
GregC wrote:
I figure I have 20 yrs remaining

I hear you. That's what I figure I have before I'm dead, and it makes playing the violin more difficult, because it requires NO tension when you play. My teacher an I have sometimes worked on the same piece for over a year to get it right, and while a little frustrating, it does create more beautiful music.

The reason I wrote what I did is because if you can't play the music you're writing, you'll never get it out there, because you can't make the sound you're hearing in your head.

..Joe

I love violin. I admire anyone who can play it decently. Trumpet is right
behind .

I consider my skills to be average at best. But I have just enough skill to create
interesting instrumentals. I have 20 copyright originals on SoundCloud.
IMO, the material and diversity speaks for itself. Not pimping my stuff, just underlining my point.

I will never be a technical wizard. I could knock myself out over the next 20 years , trying to improve my skill. And maybe have 10% of the prowess of an emerson or a wakeman. But what would I have to show in 20 years for all that ? IOW, I don't believe in comparing myself to an emerson or a wakeman.

I am not them. They are not me. Its simple, in a way.

I would rather stand for myself than perform cover tunes. That is entirely my preference. I do some covers , of course, but my portfolio is 90% original, 10% cover.

I am not much of a follower, either. But I also admire certain tribute bands , like the Genesis tribute from Canada. It takes tremendous skill and dedication to
make a near perfect re-production.

So ' both ' approaches are equally 'true '. Thats zen.
19naia
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2018 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The amount of practice and repetition that goes into my songs and sound creations, gets to be so repetetive that i have to step back after the first three days.
It takes three days minimum of playing a new piece for it to really sink in on every level. And thats after 30 years commited to playing keys.
But aftrer that 3 days or 1 week, it’s like having eaten the same meal for breakfast, lunch and dinner everyday because i don’t know how to cook anything else. So i leave the scene and head out to eat.

Then when i come back a few days later, i listen to a recording of it rather than listen to myself playing it. I imagine it isn’t me playing it and then i get an outsider perspective in my head, and this only really works after days away from the piece of music.
After that i have clearer perspective and decide if to keep working the song or move to another piece.

Worst case scenario is i lose my taste and feel for any of my playing and then i go back to square one, literally square one of musicianship, doing nothing but running scales and chord arps and linear chord progression with all the focus on my finger action rather than music. Do that until the feel changes up under my hands and then the music feel changes up in my perspective.

My sense of timing also gets a little too sharp for my own good and i am unable to find anything in good time in my ear. I come back a day or two later and realize how in the world did i ever hear that piece as off beat? I have even heard my same old trusty metronome tick off timing. My internal clock in my head shifts around now more than ever. Must be from playing back to back, so many songs all over the clock and time signature range. Could be similar to the same effect of spinning in circles for a while and then trying to walk off in a straight line. I have to wait a while before getting any real bearing back.

The best times are when i don’t have practice on my mind or any progect to focus on, any drea,smof crowd pleasing. Just when i sit in a mood immersing into the usic for howthe magic moves me, just like it did when music first inspired me to take up an instrument from zero hands on expereince.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: