Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Need Help Installing Sets
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bernie9

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 8:01 pm    Post subject: Need Help Installing Sets Reply with quote

I bought the PaXMagic Drawbar Organ set and have them in my USB drive. They are showing as Pa Sets, "Drawbar Organ.set" and "Res DO.set. I want to get them to my normal SB set. I see Sound and SB icons. I am not sure where to go from here.
Bernie
Hammond SK1
pa4x_user

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Bernie9,

I will let the experts answer your Set question.

But I tracked down the organ sounds your bought out of curiosity, very nice indeed. I'll probably buy these also.

https://www.paxmagic.com
Songbook+ app for iPad
Cubase12 Pro DAW software
Dorico Elements 4.2 scoring software
Band-in-a-Box 2022
Yamaha CVP-309GP
miden
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 2:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some of those are actually pretty good! The other sets I mean Smile as well as the organ one.
karmathanever
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 2:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Bernie

A colleague has one of PAMAGIC sets and I know he has some difficulty merging with his "normal" set due to the PAMAGIC sets requiring certain GLOBAL settings.

To merge with your currently loaded set you will need to "load" the PAMAGIC set "bank/sound/keyboardset-at-a-time" - just loading the SET will of course overwrite the banks it was created on and overwrite GLOBAL settings.

BACKUP all your data first!!!!
Then have a play around safely.

Cheers

Pete Very Happy

P.S. If you love and play DRAWBAR sounds when playing styles, DO NOT use the "ensemble" feature (button) as this will disable the DRAWBAR's "1st-note harmonic percussion" (whether you use it or not!!) until you re-boot the PA4X - long term bug!!!!!!
...and play lots of music Very Happy
------------------------------------------------------------------
Bernie9

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went to John's video like I should have in the beginning. It very simple to choose whatever direct set you want, without rearranging SB. It also automatically creates a discreet Set List ready for use. I installed on USB and created a Direct Set, per his video, and went into Global Mode Preference and installed to my main Direct Set after copying the program to HD also..

I backed up memory first just in case. It works like a charm on both HD and USB Set Lists. In addition, thanks to a few sound files, I now have left hand rotor speed control to boot. All for around $30 USD.
Hammond SK1
Stilli

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought the PAX Magic Drawbar Organ package and liked it so much I took a look at the other available sets from them. Ended up buying another two, they are great and work really well from Direct Access and the Songbook.
Korg PA4X, Kawai MPIISE, Ketron SD4, Roland Integra 7, Motu Midi Express XT, Motu Audio Express, Cubase 9.5 Pro, NI Komplete 12 Ultimate (Collectors), Omnisphere, TC-Helicon Voicelive 3, Bose L1m2 (x2) + B2 (x2)
pa4x_user

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I ended up buying 3 sets also. But the challenge of installing is still ahead of me. Backup, backup, backup... Very Happy
Songbook+ app for iPad
Band-in-a-Box 2022
Yamaha CVP-309GP
Stilli

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 6:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pa4x_user wrote:
I ended up buying 3 sets also. But the challenge of installing is still ahead of me. Backup, backup, backup... Very Happy

Installation is a breeze if you follow the included video instructions.
Korg PA4X, Kawai MPIISE, Ketron SD4, Roland Integra 7, Motu Midi Express XT, Motu Audio Express, Cubase 9.5 Pro, NI Komplete 12 Ultimate (Collectors), Omnisphere, TC-Helicon Voicelive 3, Bose L1m2 (x2) + B2 (x2)
pa4x_user

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 7:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
you will need to "load" the PAMAGIC set "bank/sound/keyboardset-at-a-time"

Pete,

Struggling a bit understanding the file structure (a) there are two set folders supplied with each PaxMagic package. One is described as resources and contains a SOUND folder only and is supposed to be loaded into main memory, but (b) the 2nd set folder contains 4 folders: GLOBAL, KEYBOARDSET, SONGBOOK, and SOUND and the supplier recommends that Direct be pointed to this 2nd set folder. As far as I can tell, the SOUND folder is the same in both set folders

QUESTIONS (I am trying to avoid having other set folders, and want to merge the purchase into my existing Direct set folder)
(1) If I were to follow the suppliers advice, and use the 2nd folder as a Direct set, will the GLOBAL folder within stuff up my current keyboard settings? [Hopefully your method means I don't have to point Direct to this purchased folder]
(2) If I follow your advice to load items one-at-a-time, should I ignore loading SOUND a 2nd time??

Sorry if this is complicated - I am quite computer literate, but the Korg file structure often baffles me

Thanks in advance for all your help.
Songbook+ app for iPad
Band-in-a-Box 2022
Yamaha CVP-309GP
karmathanever
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry but this is going sound like a mess but hope you can follow.

I am not aware of the new "instruction" regarding PAMAGIC sets - my colleague's purchase came as a single SET to load.

OK, so to merge your direct set with the PAMAGIC data you may need to do this...

Backup everything
Backup everything (in case you missed the above step Wink )
Load your DIRECT set into the PA4X as if it was a normal load
Your DIRECT set will now be internal.
Load the required PAMAGIC data (be careful as this may overwrite entire banks)
Save the DIRECT set
Reload your backed up set
Link to your DIRECT set

Now, this is really not good as the "merging process" when load PAMAGIC data may overwrite your DIRECT banks - so you may have to perform some individual data loads (i.e. not load entire bank-at-a-time)

If I now read the above I can appreciate that it may be driving you mad.
I can't think of another way around this - I am happy to keep going and fully understand if you are re-thinking Genos ( Wink )

Hope you can make some sense of this.

PAMAGIC's approach here is a bit odd BUT, I don't own it so I may not have the full picture.

Pete Very Happy
siebenhirter
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 12:42 pm    Post subject: Direct Sets - merging data Reply with quote

pa4x_user wrote:
... the 2nd set folder contains 4 folders: GLOBAL, KEYBOARDSET, SONGBOOK, and SOUND and the supplier recommends that Direct be pointed to this 2nd set folder. As far as I can tell, the SOUND folder is the same in both set folders ..

I think a direct set is always an extension of the internal memory, from which only the following additional data is read: Keyboard Set, Style, Pad, Voice and Guitar Preset, Song Book Entry and Set List. However, NO SOUNDS (.pcg, .kmp, .pcm) are read from a direct set, but they must ALWAYS be present in the internal memory to be readable for usage.

Therefore, SOUNDS for Direct Sets have to be preloaded into the internal memory without overwriting already existing data in the usersound banks of the internal memory (PCG, Multisamples, Samples). So using the 2nd folder with GLOBAL, KEYBOARDSET, SONGBOOK and SOUND as Direct Set only will use data of keyboardset and songbook.
In case of merging user data it should be noted that loading data into banks will overwrite that data already containing in that bank. Solution is to only load into empty banks or only load single items (one-at-a-time) into not-empty banks. In case of loading single sounds with user samples, the Pa-system automatically also write samples and multisamples (if they are not already present).

pa4x_user wrote:
... I follow your advice to load items one-at-a-time, should I ignore loading SOUND a 2nd time??

If you already loaded the sounds, they have already been written into the internal memory - so they do not have to be loaded again.

Interesting facts about styles and stylePlayer functions can be found at http: www.elmarherz.de
QuiRobinez
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 1:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Direct Sets - merging data Reply with quote

siebenhirter wrote:

I think a direct set is always an extension of the internal memory, from which only the following additional data is read: Keyboard Set, Style, Pad, Voice and Guitar Preset, Song Book Entry and Set List. However, NO SOUNDS (.pcg, .kmp, .pcm) are read from a direct set, but they must ALWAYS be present in the internal memory to be readable for usage.

Therefore, SOUNDS for Direct Sets have to be preloaded into the internal memory without overwriting already existing data in the usersound banks of the internal memory (PCG, Multisamples, Samples). So using the 2nd folder with GLOBAL, KEYBOARDSET, SONGBOOK and SOUND as Direct Set only will use data of keyboardset and songbook.

Exactly

It's quite simple in fact.

Sounds need to be added to your pa4x by loading them (once) in your pa4x.
They will be placed in one of the four banks by default which you can access by pressing the sound button (there are four tabs available).

Be carefull that you don't overwrite other people sounds in that bank, there are only 4 sound tabs available, so check first before loading if you have to backup that sound bank.

Then load the sounds in to your pa4x by pressing media - load, and then the sounds only.

The direct set file doesn't have to be loaded in your pa4x (you can do it, but it's not needed), just point the direct folder to that direct set and then in the style direct tabs your new styles are available and in the songbook the new songs are added and can be recognised as loaded from the direct set because they have a Square line around the Style marker in front of the song.
karmathanever
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

...and to clarify per Korg...
Quote:
Direct data are additional Keyboard Sets, Styles and SongBook Entries and
Set Lists,
residing in a storage device like the internal drive or a removable
USB drive. They can be considered as an extension of the internal memory.
Direct Keyboard Sets and Styles are immediately accessed when pressing
the USER/DIRECT button in the STYLE or KEYBOARD SET LIBRARY area,
or by selecting the Direct type of data while in the Keyboard Set Library
Select or Style Select window.
Direct SongBook Entries and Set Lists are automatically mixed with the internal
Entries and Set Lists, making a more extensive database.
You can choose any standard SET folder as the Direct folder.

Note that in SONGBOOK mode you can identify internal vs direct entries and choose where a new songbook entry is to reside.
If your internal songbook library happens to be the same SB data in your direct songbook you will see all the songs duplicated.
So it is worth organising/planning songbook to avoid confusion.

Personally, I do not use direct SONGBOOK (it is empty) - everything internal hence always backed up when I save to disk.
Direct SET is never backed up unless you manually "copy" the DIRECT set.

Very Happy
Stilli

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hope I can add some clarification to the PAXMagic stuff:

What you are buying when you purchase any of their Sets for the PA4X is Keyboard Registration Sets and they currently have six available. You get new Keyboard Sets which are made up from a mixture of new and edited existing sounds from the Keyboard.

I have 4 of them which include the Drawbar Organ Set, Classical Spectacular Set, Famous Names and Big Band Showcase Sets. All of them come with a set of new sounds apart from Classical Spectacular which only uses edited versions of existing PA4X Sounds. As far as I am aware there are no new Styles included only existing styles are used, edited into songs and arranged in Set lists which are available from the drop down menu on the Set List page.

Most of the Packs come with two SET files (the Classical Set has only one as it only uses edited existing sounds from the PA4X soundbanks), first you must load the Resources Set to load any new sound files and this only needs to be done once the sound files will remain on your system.

The Keyboard Sets are accessed via the other SET file and the recommended (PAXMagic) way to use them is via Direct Access which also creates the Set Lists of songs for you to use or just Demo the Keyboard Sets. As I pointed out above, the songs use existing Styles combined with the new Keyboard Sets and sounds.

The only need for caution is when loading the Resources Set, you may need to avoid overwriting any sound files from other sources that you may have loaded previously.

They provide excellent video intruction on how to back up your system and how to install their products, the installation video can be found here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-prMa4WLQ3w&feature=youtu.be

For more information on their range of products their home page is here:
https://www.paxmagic.com/

I have no connection to PAXMagic, just found their stuff very good and easy to use, haven't got around to tweaking my own sounds and keyboard sets yet. This was an easy option for me and the sounds are good.
Bernie9

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A very good explanation, Stilli

Bernie
Hammond SK1
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Pa4X All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: