Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

How to Separate Sounds Generated by a Program?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
WVought

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2018 5:59 pm    Post subject: How to Separate Sounds Generated by a Program? Reply with quote

I'm using Program INT-D037 New Age Guitar. With KARMA on, in Scene 3, it appears to generate at least three distinct sounds.

How can I get Kronos/KARMA to generate only ONE of those sounds at any one time? I want to record them separately so I can mix them independently.

Thanks!
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2018 6:35 pm    Post subject: Re: How to Separate Sounds Generated by a Program? Reply with quote

WVought wrote:
I'm using Program INT-D037 New Age Guitar. With KARMA on, in Scene 3, it appears to generate at least three distinct sounds.

How can I get Kronos/KARMA to generate only ONE of those sounds at any one time? I want to record them separately so I can mix them independently.

Thanks!

looks like the Karma GE 2007 is a wave sequence[WS), a pre defined pattern.

I suppose you have gone thru the WS's looking for a briefer version ?

A few other ideas- watch the keyboard tick marks on that ARP. With some practice you can play that part.

At which point, you can have it in a SEQ song. I think RPPR might also do the job if you want to stay out of SEQ mode.
WVought

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2018 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks...something to think about.
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2018 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WVought wrote:
Thanks...something to think about.

if you don't mind working with SEQ, u should be able to edit out what u don't need.

It might be a good trick to see if you can copy or load that modified GE back into a user area.

I haven't tried that but it would be useful if it worked
CharlesFerraro
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2018 11:30 pm    Post subject: Re: How to Separate Sounds Generated by a Program? Reply with quote

Oh wow, that's the old voice name list... And it's "New Age Hybrid Guitar". Program U-E084 for updated systems. Super cool program! Very Twin Peaks or something retro.

Yes it's using a GE that utilizes KARMA wavesequencing (to great effect!).

Your inquery is totally logical but actually super difficult to pull off... The problem of how to separate the individual sounds of a KARMA wavesequence.

The wavesequence is sending out SysEx data which is choosing different samples to play at different parts of the phrase. That combined with some CC modulation from envelopes and other groups and you have a pretty intricate web to untangle. The easiest thing for me to do to separate the sounds was to record the MIDI generated by KARMA into Cubase and then dissolve the MIDI part into separate pitches. That way I could see exactly which note was being triggered after a particular SysEx change. That way I could, say, solo the track that contained the note which creates the noise burst at the end of the fourth bar of the phrase. Likewise I can solo any other part of the phrase.

In conclusion you're going to have to get savvy with recording KARMA into Cubase if you want to separate those sounds.

The particular program you chose has a suuuuper weird time signature btw. it's count is 3 > 3 > 3 > 5!

So:
1,2,3,4,5!

Very strange but very cool. You can force the GE to play in 4/4 by changing the time signature at the top of the KARMA GE tab or in the KARMA > GE Setup tab.

That was a fun exercise!
WVought

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2018 11:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A very interesting approach, and thank you once again for your assistance.

I'm actually fairly familiar with recording MIDI from KARMA into a Cubase, and I might give it a go.

But my main concern was the volume differences between the parts, and it turns out that judicious use of a compressor fixed most of that.

But I think I'll check it out just in case I can get a significantly better result, and as a learning experience.

THANKS!
CharlesFerraro
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 12:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh you were just trying to even out some volume levels? Definitely look into the multiband limiter, parametric EQ and multiband compressor for your needs. You could get away with using them in any order really. What's also nice is once you dial in some good settings for each, try swapping their order for interesting surprises!
WVought

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 1:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My original goal was to separate everything so I could EQ, compress, mix etc each sound individually. But it came out nicely with just the compression.

I tend to use UAD plugins, because they don't tax my CPU. But I'll eventually check out those effects you mentioned.

Many thanks.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: