Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA
 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

AL-1 Engine : SYNC option

 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Liviou2004
Senior Member


Joined: 20 Feb 2017
Posts: 402
Location: Fontainebleau - France

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2018 9:10 am    Post subject: AL-1 Engine : SYNC option Reply with quote

Hello,

Using the Sync option in AL-1 engine, I must say I didn't find it very efficient.
I have tried to test it with different settings for the OSC 2(as it is said in the Parameter's Guide), but I was unable to get this so caracteristic sync sound we can find in other synths. Of course we get the same kind of timbre modulation but it is quite light and I didn't reach a big sound.

Do you have any idea of some good settings in order to get a real big sync sound with AL-1 ?

Thanks
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
voip
Platinum Member


Joined: 27 Nov 2014
Posts: 1612

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2018 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try Double Saw, or one of the detuned saw waveforms. Detuning will fatten up a sound.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
CharlesFerraro
Platinum Member


Joined: 06 Feb 2010
Posts: 781
Location: California

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2018 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oscillator sync with AL-1 is a marvel of technical achievement. There are patents behind the tech that went into creating it. It's the cleanest, most pristine sync sound in the world.
Since it's so clean, why not try dirtying it up with the Drive and Low boost parameters in the Amp section? Also post an example of a sync sound you would like to create.

Some tips:
-turn down osc 1 in the mixer tab so you're only listening to oscillator 2
-put osc 2 up one octave with the Octave parameter. Or you could use the Transpose parameter instead.
-turn osc 2 down 1200 cents with Tune.

Now you can assign Tune to a Tone Adjust knob and sweep through two octaves of Sync. You don't have to start with oscillator 1 and 2 at the same pitch though, you could also give oscillator two another octave boost.
_________________
paypal.me/CharlesFerraro
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Liviou2004
Senior Member


Joined: 20 Feb 2017
Posts: 402
Location: Fontainebleau - France

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2018 6:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

voip wrote:
Try Double Saw, or one of the detuned saw waveforms. Detuning will fatten up a sound.


Thank you Voip. Though it wasn't exactly what I'm looking for.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Liviou2004
Senior Member


Joined: 20 Feb 2017
Posts: 402
Location: Fontainebleau - France

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2018 6:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CharlesFerraro wrote:
Oscillator sync with AL-1 is a marvel of technical achievement. There are patents behind the tech that went into creating it. It's the cleanest, most pristine sync sound in the world.


I didn't have these informations. Thanks.

CharlesFerraro wrote:

Since it's so clean, why not try dirtying it up with the Drive and Low boost parameters in the Amp section? Also post an example of a sync sound you would like to create.

Some tips:
-turn down osc 1 in the mixer tab so you're only listening to oscillator 2
-put osc 2 up one octave with the Octave parameter. Or you could use the Transpose parameter instead.
-turn osc 2 down 1200 cents with Tune.

Now you can assign Tune to a Tone Adjust knob and sweep through two octaves of Sync. You don't have to start with oscillator 1 and 2 at the same pitch though, you could also give oscillator two another octave boost.


Thank you very much, Charles, for all these useful tips. I will test them very soon.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
CharlesFerraro
Platinum Member


Joined: 06 Feb 2010
Posts: 781
Location: California

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2018 7:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I should say that you don't have to tune osc2 down 1200 cents before assigning it to a tone adjust parameter. Was just trying to point out that the tune parameter can smoothly sweep through two octaves. Also you can just use the value slider to audition the sweep.
_________________
paypal.me/CharlesFerraro


Last edited by CharlesFerraro on Fri Jun 08, 2018 6:47 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Liviou2004
Senior Member


Joined: 20 Feb 2017
Posts: 402
Location: Fontainebleau - France

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 5:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I did a try yesterday : excellent advice and settings, Charles. Tahnk you for your efficient advice. Id should be add to the Parameter's Guide.
The The sound is perfect that way. Thanks again.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Broadwave
Platinum Member


Joined: 25 May 2011
Posts: 1040
Location: Manchester UK

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can also try it with the Ring Mod... Go into the mixer turn Osc 1 & 2 down and raise the Ring Mod level fully. You can get some great vintage ARP Odyssey sounds that way.
_________________
Kronos 2 88, Roland System-8, Novation Ultranova, ARP Odyssey, Broadwave ARP 2600EX, Broadwave Sparta, Broadwave/Behringer Minimoog Clone, Broadwave Modular, Fender Deluxe Plus Top (iOS), Broadwave 12 String Telecaster

Synth DIY Projects
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Liviou2004
Senior Member


Joined: 20 Feb 2017
Posts: 402
Location: Fontainebleau - France

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2018 6:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Broadwave wrote:
You can also try it with the Ring Mod... Go into the mixer turn Osc 1 & 2 down and raise the Ring Mod level fully. You can get some great vintage ARP Odyssey sounds that way.


Yes, thank you. But my question was about SYNC, not about Ring Mod wich is another technique.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Broadwave
Platinum Member


Joined: 25 May 2011
Posts: 1040
Location: Manchester UK

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2018 5:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Liviou2004 wrote:
Broadwave wrote:
You can also try it with the Ring Mod... Go into the mixer turn Osc 1 & 2 down and raise the Ring Mod level fully. You can get some great vintage ARP Odyssey sounds that way.


Yes, thank you. But my question was about SYNC, not about Ring Mod wich is another technique.


I was suggesting trying Sync WITH Ring Mod.
_________________
Kronos 2 88, Roland System-8, Novation Ultranova, ARP Odyssey, Broadwave ARP 2600EX, Broadwave Sparta, Broadwave/Behringer Minimoog Clone, Broadwave Modular, Fender Deluxe Plus Top (iOS), Broadwave 12 String Telecaster

Synth DIY Projects
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Liviou2004
Senior Member


Joined: 20 Feb 2017
Posts: 402
Location: Fontainebleau - France

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2018 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Broadwave wrote:
Liviou2004 wrote:
Broadwave wrote:
You can also try it with the Ring Mod... Go into the mixer turn Osc 1 & 2 down and raise the Ring Mod level fully. You can get some great vintage ARP Odyssey sounds that way.


Yes, thank you. But my question was about SYNC, not about Ring Mod wich is another technique.


I was suggesting trying Sync WITH Ring Mod.


Oh, yes, ok. I didn't get it that way.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group