Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Delay Effects : 2 of them seem to be useless
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2018 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Liviou2004 wrote:
GregC wrote:
Liviou2004 wrote:
Well, I did several tests. Sounds alone, and inside SEQ (as suggested by Greg) :

Given the same settings (time, Wet/Dry, etc...), I didn't hear the least difference between effect 077 and effect 078. 078, as a long delay, produce the exact same qualitiy of sound as 077.

I tried in SEQ mode (with Metronome and so on) and the behavior of echoes was the same in both cases.

So, if you heard a difference, could you please tell me what settings you are using ?

big diff in delay times. These are factory defaults:

Fx 77 : 600 1000 400

Fx 78: 1600 2000 1400

If your K does not show this, your factory default settings got changed

Of course factory defaults are different. But that's not the point here. The point is the fact that Fx 78 covers all the delay times range of the FX 77, and adds to that all its own range. So, my conclusion is : FX 77 is useless !!

I misunderstood you, and I won't quibble technically.

I am certain the two FX behave differently , act differently, on a song or a sound. Thats my context.

Thus 77 and 78 are not redundant or 'useless'
BobTheDog
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2018 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you have 2 versions of the same delay with different maximum delay times you gave one of two possibilities:

1. One uses more ram than the other

2. They use the same ram and the sample rate of the longer delay is less.

So if your delay time required is less than the max of the smaller delay then choose that. Seems straightforward to me.
Liviou2004
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GregC wrote:
Liviou2004 wrote:
GregC wrote:
Liviou2004 wrote:
Well, I did several tests. Sounds alone, and inside SEQ (as suggested by Greg) :

Given the same settings (time, Wet/Dry, etc...), I didn't hear the least difference between effect 077 and effect 078. 078, as a long delay, produce the exact same qualitiy of sound as 077.

I tried in SEQ mode (with Metronome and so on) and the behavior of echoes was the same in both cases.

So, if you heard a difference, could you please tell me what settings you are using ?

big diff in delay times. These are factory defaults:

Fx 77 : 600 1000 400

Fx 78: 1600 2000 1400

If your K does not show this, your factory default settings got changed

Of course factory defaults are different. But that's not the point here. The point is the fact that Fx 78 covers all the delay times range of the FX 77, and adds to that all its own range. So, my conclusion is : FX 77 is useless !!

I misunderstood you, and I won't quibble technically.

I am certain the two FX behave differently , act differently, on a song or a sound. Thats my context.

Thus 77 and 78 are not redundant or 'useless'

Sure, I won't quibble technically either, it's not the most important. And we can suppose that Korg as put these two effects inside for a good reason.
But the reason why I have oppened this thread is that I do not hear any difference, be in Prog mode or Seq mode.
StephenKay
KARMA Developer
Approved Merchant
KARMA Developer<br>Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 7:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Essentially, who cares? Korg included both of them because there is some difference or trade-off between them. There is no way that a hugely lengthened delay time does not cause some sort of trade-off. If you can't hear or find the difference in usage meters, then the end result is this:

- If you want a shorter delay time that is provided by the short version, use it.
- If you need a really long delay time that cannot be provided by the first one, use the long version.

I understand you're trying to understand what difference there might be, but in the end, you're wasting your time, just use whichever one you want. Smile

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: