Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Problems,problems and problems...
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
takis46

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2018 11:16 am    Post subject: Problems,problems and problems... Reply with quote

When I decided to buy PA-1000, I was impressed by the good critics I was reading on the media. 5/5 stars and nice wording everywhere. Now that I have it, and slowly the dust of enthusiasm is sitting down, I am left with some annoying problems. Apart from the low recording level coming out of the (...volume controlled) outputs, I now deal with problematic fillings... I will give you an example: I am playing-singing "Oh mammy-blue" at POP/SLOW POP style. After finishing the first part of the verse, its time to bridge the refrain. Therefore, I have to move from drums 2 to 3 via a fill-in. I press 3 and the PA does an ugly double step of the rhythm, like it loses the meter! I tried different timings of pressing 3, but still it is ugly! I expected the software to count and match, performing a nice fill-in... but NO! An ugly double step is what I get... Now I start to have second thoughts about my choice... Crying or Very sad
AntonySharmman
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 6:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Problems,problems and problems... Reply with quote

takis46 wrote:
I press 3 and the PA does an ugly double step of the rhythm, like it loses the meter! I tried different timings ...

Τάκη , if you're talking about custom styles , you always hear what has been "written" in fills , if creator made an ugly fill ,
then you will hear an ugly fill ...
In my commercial development for Pa1000 (Greek & Producer editions) all are working like a charm like in previous Pa3X & Pa4X ,
therefore there is no matter of Pa model but the fact of midi events written in that fill that might have desination of a bouble
tempo pattern or whatever.
Also there are many settings in Record mode like "next measure" , immediately , etc , where a fill or a Var will behave after recalling it ,
and this is almost the same for all PaSeries , so read advanced edit manual of how to adapt fills & vars according to your needs !

Hope this helps

Keyboards : Steinway-D, Kronos X, Pa5X 76, Pa4X 76, Montage M7 , Roland-XV88, Emu3,Emax II,Synclavier II,Yamaha DX Series, ΟΒ-8V
takis46

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your kind comment. I am not referring to personally customized styles, but to the styles embedded by the factory. I will put it simple, what I would like to have is the ability to press the fill button anytime I want, then expect the software to count the beat and bridge to the next session. A smooth transition without "hiccups"! In the specific pop style, only variations 3-4 have the drum, which is good since I need it to start halfway of the song. So, being at var2, I press var3 to start the drum... And I get a "hiccup", which also affects the accompaniment (guitar, piano,etc). For now I correct the problem by editing the sound afterwards on my computer, but this should not be the case... Maybe I do something wrong, I do not know, but surely I cannot re-write the factory styles...
AntonySharmman
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

takis46 wrote:
Maybe I do something wrong, I do not know, but surely I cannot re-write the factory styles...

Yes you can / Global / Unprotect Factory box , but I don't recommend it , you'd better edit style to fit it to your needs
since all you need are edditable and then save it at User possition.

Keyboards : Steinway-D, Kronos X, Pa5X 76, Pa4X 76, Montage M7 , Roland-XV88, Emu3,Emax II,Synclavier II,Yamaha DX Series, ΟΒ-8V
takis46

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Σας ευχαριστώ πολύ! Thank you, in both languages.. I will try to make a style of my own... A lot of things are different in this arranger, than my Yamaha. I also struggle with weird behavior of sax, brass and some other organs, that they seem to occasionally lag when I play fast. Not always, mostly when I play legato, I get lags and very weird cutoffs or bends. I suppose that I have to set it up to suit my needs, disable some automatic features, that is I have to read the thousand page manual... Crying or Very sad
AntonySharmman
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

takis46 wrote:
I also struggle with weird behavior of sax, brass and some other organs, that they seem
to occasionally lag when I play fast. Not always, mostly when I play legato, I get lags and very weird cutoffs or bends

Nothing is actually weird ... Pa1000 use DNC2 technology where multiple legato switches activate legato & glissando articulations of Sax ,
that you should be aware from Tyros.
If you are not comfort to adapt your playing technique according to those features , do not use "DNC" saxophones or find one that
all glissando articulations are assigned only at +-Y & Switches.
PaSeries are the only Korg keyboards (unlike Kronos & Oasys) that have those advanced legato features that makes all
natural instruments sound very realistic and I hardly managed to develop and use those in Kronos with tricky ways using Karma
programming in WavesArt Kronos libraries ! Wink

Shandera

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

takis46 wrote:
Σας ευχαριστώ πολύ! Thank you, in both languages.. I will try to make a style of my own... A lot of things are different in this arranger, than my Yamaha. I also struggle with weird behavior of sax, brass and some other organs, that they seem to occasionally lag when I play fast. Not always, mostly when I play legato, I get lags and very weird cutoffs or bends. I suppose that I have to set it up to suit my needs, disable some automatic features, that is I have to read the thousand page manual... Crying or Very sad

Yes. I have the same problem. In many styles, when changing from var2 to var3 to var4. there is some kind of illogical hesitation. This is a bug of programmers. Perhaps it can be called a marriage. Terribly annoying. But how to deal with this, until I understand.
Biggles
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do not care what anyone says.

Its a bug with the Korg system.

Its Style related, where most are fine but the odd few have a distinct hiccup when changing from one Var to another, there is also again a distinct volume change.

Some DNC sounds also suck very badly as does electric guitar sounds which are more like a kids toy.
siebenhirter
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2018 10:54 am    Post subject: Factory data are no OS-bugs Reply with quote

Biggles wrote:
.. I do not care what anyone says ..

Anyone do not care what anyone say, which is unable to adapt playing technique according existing features.

Same applies if anyone do not understand to fit styles with edit-parameters made for personal needs.

OS bugs really are something other than some factory data that does not suit ones personal taste.

Interesting facts about styles and stylePlayer functions can be found at http: www.elmarherz.de
stratquebec

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2018 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a thought…
Maybe Korg should add a kind of smooth variation switching feature by implementing a cross-fade like event on variation switching.

Some styles needs more precision from the performer when comes the time to switch variations. So I take time to practice my variation switching a lot. I’m not a keyboard player so I need to do this to get a smooth variation switching.
Biggles
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2018 4:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Factory data are no OS-bugs Reply with quote

siebenhirter wrote:
Biggles wrote:
.. I do not care what anyone says ..

Anyone do not care what anyone say, which is unable to adapt playing technique according existing features.

Same applies if anyone do not understand to fit styles with edit-parameters made for personal needs.

OS bugs really are something other than some factory data that does not suit ones personal taste.

Yes, one develops an acceptable workaround.
siebenhirter
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2018 8:55 pm    Post subject: No problems to switch variations Reply with quote

stratquebec wrote:
.. some styles needs more precision from the performer when comes the time to switch variations ..

If one would like to have the ability to press a fill button anytime one wants and expect the software to count the beat and bridge to the next session with a smooth transition without hiccups - it seems to be necessary, to use synchronizing as intended for Pa-keyboards with CueMode for StyleElements.

Go to the Style Record > Main page, and use the Cue mode pop-up menu to choose the way the Style Element will enter. There are four different options for Pa700 / 1000 (Immediate, first measure / Immediate, current measure / Next measure, first measure / Next measure, current measure).

Maybe there are some few styles that will have a distinct hiccup - using one of the CueModeOptions will be able to suppress this phenomenon, which occurs when you will press a Fill button against musical rules anytime you want.

It is not the same, if a style element enters immediately or at the beginning of the next measure and it also is not the same, if it begins from the current measure or of the first measure of the new pattern - and we should be happy to get an an instrument with parameters, where we could decide how a Variation or Fill Style Element will enter after having been selected.
takis46 wrote:
.. I was impressed by the good critics I was reading on the media. .. slowly the dust of enthusiasm is sitting down, I am left with some annoying problems .. I expected the software to count and match, performing a nice fill-in ...

Don't be impressed by the good critics reading on the media - better try to use characteristics of the instrument it offers. If you really want to talk about problems, why not about lost features to control styles.

With Pa3x we had StylePreferences to use VelocityControls for Break, FillIn1-4, Start/stop and Memory to be memorized separately for each STS - these controls are no longer available or are only adjustable globally - so worthless for an effective virtually styling control.

With such a demand to change an OS-system I would like to support, because that would also make sense in my opinion - but not to complain about some few factory data, easily correctable with existing editing capabilities, easy to do if you are interested how to use an Pa-Keyboards onboard-tools.

Interesting facts about styles and stylePlayer functions can be found at http: www.elmarherz.de
takis46

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2018 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Playing the PA1000 daily for nearly 4 months now, has given me enough experience to predict most of the weird instrument behavior and avoid most of it... However, there are some DNC instruments that are still "hands-off" for me, especially the DNC trumpet. The DNC "bend" sounds more like a squeaky duck toy, and I cannot imagine an appropriate occasion to use it. As you probably know, DNC bend engages whenever I use legato between notes that are distant>1 octave. Although the sax is smooth and sexy, the trumpet is short and squeaky... This renders it unusable for most of my songs. Another thing that I would like to comment, is the auto-ending... Awful! As you know, there are 3 end-styles, the first 2 being too long and the last too short... Pressing end1 puts you in a torturing repetition like shooting the song and refusing to die... While End3 is "Dam-dam-end", instant death... Smile
stratquebec

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2018 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

takis46 wrote:
...Another thing that I would like to comment, is the auto-ending... Awful! As you know, there are 3 end-styles, the first 2 being too long and the last too short... Pressing end1 puts you in a torturing repetition like shooting the song and refusing to die... While End3 is "Dam-dam-end", instant death... Smile

The good news is that with Korg PA's, you can rewrite a style completly, from intros to ending. Export the style to a daw, edit the section(s) to your taste, import the midifile back in the PA and voilà! Cool
diegodure

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2018 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am really surprised by the complaints about a fully editable keyboard, where, in the case of the fill, anyone with musical knowledge knows how to activate the fill, but the great advantage of Korg Pa over other arranger is that the mode can also be used simple to the Roland and Yamaha that makes for more than a fill out of time this wait for the compas, everything is in free programming, you can do what you want as you like, even, as I read, measure fill or ending according to your needs I had to go from a PA3X LE to a PSR S950, yes, Yamaha sounds nice with everything served, which for many is more than enough, not for me, and at the time of editing I saw many restraints, without hesitation I sold it and I went for the PA700, which I love and say, speaks in my language, where the free edition without restraints allows me to be my style. Returning to the topic, they have explained how to correct the Fill section and its behavior.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg PA1000/PA700 All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: