Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Introduction

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mighty Motif Max

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 2:14 am    Post subject: Introduction Reply with quote

Hi,

My name is Max Thompson. I'm a musician from Northeastern Minnesota, formerly of the Forest Lake area in the Twin Cities metro. I do a lot of performing, generally as a solo act, but have gotten more involved in band work in the last two years. I play piano, accordion, "keyboard", organ, and Native American flute. I'm currently learning a bit of jazz guitar, and have an interest in drums.

I've always played Yamaha instruments, as shows in my signature, but I needed to replace my aging YS200 from 1988 with something new. I used the YS200 as a MIDI controller for my Yamaha Motif XF8. I never used the internal sounds of the YS200 very much, as they were pretty dated. But it started malfunctioning a few months ago, which would send a midi message to my Motif and freeze it up. So I decided after it happening twice live that I needed to find a replacement. I also wanted something with more polyphony and decent passable sounds in case of emergency. With the help of some people from two other forums, I narrowed my selection down to a Korg Kross 2, a Roland Juno DS, or a Yamaha MX61, for new, or various older keyboards. I live approx. 5 hours from the nearest music retailer other than a Music Go Round (2.5 hrs), so there was no way for me to test these. I ended up visiting the Music Go Round last week to try out a used Yamaha MOXF6, which I liked. Today I went back with the intention of purchasing it, but they had a Krome 61 in, which was just brought in a few hours before I arrived. I A/B'd them, both in sounds and in keybed feel. I had done a lot of research on both models several years ago prior to purchasing my Motif, but had decided on neither. I refreshed my memory a bit on them while considering other keyboards in the last few months, in the event that one came up. I know a lot of people don't like the Krome/Kross keybed, so I wasn't expecting to like it either.

But when I A/B'd them, I liked the Krome keybed quite a bit more, and contrary to many reviews, I thought the keys felt sturdier as well. So, I bought the Krome 61. I've been working with it since, and I think it's a great instrument. Plus the internal sounds are not only passable, but I prefer some of them over the same sounds in my Motif.

So now I am a Korg owner, so I decided that I should join a Korg specific forum, since I already am a member of a Yamaha-specific forum and a general keyboard forum.

So that's my intro, essentially. Happy to be here.

-Max Thompson

Yamaha: Motif XF8, YS200, CVP-305, CLP-130, YPG-235, PSR-295, PSS-470

Casio CT-370

Titano Virtuoso Converter accordion, Resident Audio T4, Kimball Valencia and Broadway organs, Shure SM-57, Audio-Technica AT2035, Yamaha Pacifica 112V guitar, Yamaha MSR100 speaker, Yamaha P22 upright piano, Borsini Vienna 723 accordion
megamarkd
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2018 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome Max, great to have you here. Always good to have fellow oldies around, heheh.
Funny you should mention the YS200 as I was looking at the desktop version the other day, but decided that I should look at getting an FM module (or 6 if I want a polyphonic synth) for the eurorack synth I'm building instead of buying 30yr old synths. Did the YS200 have an alarm clock on it? It's desktop counterpart apparently did, lol!
Stuff I'm using: Umm right now, well there's a Volca Drum, a Micro Freak, an ADX-1, a Pulse, a Blofeld, a UNO Drum, KeyStep/Beatstep Pro/Keystep Pro (one of each), a Circuit, a LiveTrak L-12 and this nonsense: The Brief-case as it was about a bit over a year ago (the the complete ridiculous GAS monster collection here)and here
Mighty Motif Max

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2018 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

megamarkd wrote:
Welcome Max, great to have you here. Always good to have fellow oldies around, heheh.
Funny you should mention the YS200 as I was looking at the desktop version the other day, but decided that I should look at getting an FM module (or 6 if I want a polyphonic synth) for the eurorack synth I'm building instead of buying 30yr old synths. Did the YS200 have an alarm clock on it? It's desktop counterpart apparently did, lol!

Hi megamarkd,

Thanks for the welcome. To my knowledge the YS200 does not have an alarm clock in it. It's never mentioned in the manual, and I don't see any setting for it. I didn't know that the TQ5 did. Weird. Wink

I'm not the original owner of the YS200. I bought it used in 2015. I wasn't around when it was made (<30 yrs old). The internal battery needs replacing, and it was starting to jump to different settings and change midi channels etc all on its own, so it needed to be retired from use. So I'm not really an "oldie" anyways. In my book no one is really old until they hit 90. Smile

The YS200 and TQ5 are both 8-note polyphonic 4-operator synths. The Elektron Digitone is also 4-op and 8-note polyphonic. It's a module. There is also the Korg Volca FM, but it's only 3-note polyphonic. I'm not sure about others that are currently made.

Yamaha: Motif XF8, YS200, CVP-305, CLP-130, YPG-235, PSR-295, PSS-470

Casio CT-370

Titano Virtuoso Converter accordion, Resident Audio T4, Kimball Valencia and Broadway organs, Shure SM-57, Audio-Technica AT2035, Yamaha Pacifica 112V guitar, Yamaha MSR100 speaker, Yamaha P22 upright piano, Borsini Vienna 723 accordion
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> New Members Zone All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: