Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Moog One
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Synthoid
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2018 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hooked On Sonics

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2018 2:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And So It Begins ... Moog One / Tranquility BASE, the Poly has landed !!!
Korg Kronos II - Instant Karma's Gonna Get You, Synth Wars - The Rise of the KARP 2600, OBX8 Kenobi - The Return of the Synth, KARP & Odyessey, Moog One - The Poly Menace, Vintage 2016 Model D, Voyager of Sinbad XL, Fooger Family of Six, Three Mothers Like No Others, Naboo Royal MiniTaur, MoogClaraVox, Criklon V2, in living color, Elektron RytmII Avenue, Neuman U67
megamarkd
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2018 2:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stuff I'm using: Umm right now, well there's a Volca Drum, a Micro Freak, an ADX-1, a Pulse, a Blofeld, a UNO Drum, KeyStep/Beatstep Pro/Keystep Pro (one of each), a Circuit, a LiveTrak L-12 and this nonsense: The Brief-case as it was about a bit over a year ago (the the complete ridiculous GAS monster collection here)and here
billysynth

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2018 3:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Who said you need NAAM to release something new.

Now the only one left to release a Pro Flagship is Korg.

Come on Korg, how about a Pro Penis Tuner?? You can do it buddy. I know you can. Yes...you...can.

Vaso
RKfan

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2018 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks fantastic. There was an interesting discussion about this new flagship on Sonic Talk today. Ty Unwin made some very good points about people complaining about the price. This is the best Moog have ever made - and maybe the best analogue poly of all time.

I cant wait to hear it - and see how the the tri-timbrality works (can you define number of voices per synth) and what effects they have (more than just reverbs and delays? - would love a phaser). Hopefully next week (Monday) there will be some sound demos.

Off to the States in a couple of weeks - not sure if Sweetwater will have any in the stores - really want to play one of these.
Hooked On Sonics

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 2:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RKfan wrote:
Looks fantastic. There was an interesting discussion about this new flagship on Sonic Talk today. Ty Unwin made some very good points about people complaining about the price. This is the best Moog have ever made - and maybe the best analogue poly of all time.

I cant wait to hear it - and see how the the tri-timbrality works (can you define number of voices per synth) and what effects they have (more than just reverbs and delays? - would love a phaser). Hopefully next week (Monday) there will be some sound demos.

Off to the States in a couple of weeks - not sure if Sweetwater will have any in the stores - really want to play one of these.

Daniel Fisher from Sweetwater will be LIVE STREAMING a tell all along with taking questions in real time next Monday OCT 8, a date that will live in Poly Infamy.

Dan has not yet posted the time of the event, folks will have to keep an eye out on Sweetwater
Korg Kronos II - Instant Karma's Gonna Get You, Synth Wars - The Rise of the KARP 2600, OBX8 Kenobi - The Return of the Synth, KARP & Odyessey, Moog One - The Poly Menace, Vintage 2016 Model D, Voyager of Sinbad XL, Fooger Family of Six, Three Mothers Like No Others, Naboo Royal MiniTaur, MoogClaraVox, Criklon V2, in living color, Elektron RytmII Avenue, Neuman U67
Bachus
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 5:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Full Poly, as in polyphonic after touch?
Now that would be cool...
RKfan

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.soundonsound.com/news/birth-moog-one
Bachus
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2018 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some good marketing here..
Everyboddy is excited
And we haven’t heared a single note yer..

I bet this will make a great omnisphere controller too..
Koekepan
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2018 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RKfan wrote:

Ty made some good points, but his rant was disingenuous, to say the least.

In the sense that for some people it's an aspirational thing that might be cut out of a catalogue or magazine and taped on their bedroom wall, I'm sure it'll be as successful as Lamborghini (or maybe not) but what he pretty much ignored was the value for money side of the discussion. Even the cheaper, 8 voice model is $6K retail (give or take a few bucks for tax and so on).

I started to ask myself what I could do with six grand, and all sorts of ideas started tumbling through my head.

1) Kronos, plus pad controller, plus nice monitors, plus nice headphones, plus an external CD burner.

2) MPC X, Studiologic controller keyboard, Roland Integra-7, Waldorf Blofeld and Waldorf Streichfett.

3) Tascam DP-32SD, Yamaha MGP32X, Electribe, six Boutiques and six Zoom multi-effects pedals.

And so on, and on. Even if you want to get that ineffable Moog sound, you could go crazy on Behringer D, with an Electribe for MIDI sequencing and a portastudio or Livetrak for recording.

From Ty's perspective, it's just another nice synth that he can buy and put on display, with occasional use. Cool for him, and glad he got there, but to brush aside that cavalierly the value for money discussion is to ignore what gives rise to the precise comments that caused him to respond.
Bachus
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2018 7:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Koekepan wrote:
RKfan wrote:

Ty made some good points, but his rant was disingenuous, to say the least.

In the sense that for some people it's an aspirational thing that might be cut out of a catalogue or magazine and taped on their bedroom wall, I'm sure it'll be as successful as Lamborghini (or maybe not) but what he pretty much ignored was the value for money side of the discussion. Even the cheaper, 8 voice model is $6K retail (give or take a few bucks for tax and so on).

I started to ask myself what I could do with six grand, and all sorts of ideas started tumbling through my head.

1) Kronos, plus pad controller, plus nice monitors, plus nice headphones, plus an external CD burner.

2) MPC X, Studiologic controller keyboard, Roland Integra-7, Waldorf Blofeld and Waldorf Streichfett.

3) Tascam DP-32SD, Yamaha MGP32X, Electribe, six Boutiques and six Zoom multi-effects pedals.

And so on, and on. Even if you want to get that ineffable Moog sound, you could go crazy on Behringer D, with an Electribe for MIDI sequencing and a portastudio or Livetrak for recording.

From Ty's perspective, it's just another nice synth that he can buy and put on display, with occasional use. Cool for him, and glad he got there, but to brush aside that cavalierly the value for money discussion is to ignore what gives rise to the precise comments that caused him to respond.

Marketing wise Moog is in the elusive cattegory... like cars as Ferrari and lamborghini.. everyone wants one... but not many can and will pay the price...

This will make it even more elusive despite the quallity... people tend to allways want those things that are just out of their reach
Koekepan
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2018 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The thing is that beyond a certain level of coolness, Moog is still in the market in competition with a bunch of other manufacturers.

Imagine for a moment we lived in a universe in which Moog had never come back as an entity, and you popped up in 2018 saying: "Hey, everybody, I've got a 16 voice analogue poly synth with threefold polytimbrality and I'm selling it for four times the price of an Access Virus desktop!"

Do you really think that you'd get much more than a few pointed fingers and giggles, regardless of how fat it sounded? "Cool story, brah, are you paying for it with your trust fund?"

About twenty years ago there was a review of some motorcycles on motorcycle.com, (I found the link, read it yourself if you're bored: http://www.motorcycle.com/shoot-outs/open-twin-cruisers-98-15174.html) and one of the most telling things in it was the summary by the editor who pointed out that while the Harley was the better bike in his view, it cost five grand more than the Honda, and that for five grand you could trick out the Honda to be a way better bike, ergo the Honda was objectively better. The same logic applies to synths.

If price is what makes things a paragon, you could drool over the PERGAMON OAX-1000 instead. For 40K Euro it's way beyond what the Moog is in price - and frankly has more capabilities as well.

Alternatively, if you wanted the most expensive Moogishness that you could stuff into one purchase, why not start with the IIIP? $35K and at least it's a modular. Handwired, even. So cool.

But sure, I'm sure that people could aspire to this, and I'm happy that they found their iconic object of lust - it simply has no bearing on cost effective studio population, and won't until it drops in price to a level that I'm sure Moog would never, ever do. They seem to be trying to present their goods as Veblen goods, cost effectiveness be damned.

I should add: I'd take the Moog. For ... maybe $500. Objectively, that's the price point that would justify its place in my studio. I already have a polytimbral synth that can do things that the Moog simply cannot, although to be fair the Moog will do a few things that it can't. It's a Waldorf Blofeld desktop, and it sells for around $500. But to say that I lust after the Moog and aspire to own it? Nope. It's a Veblen good, and I'm Veblen-immune.
megamarkd
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2018 2:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Koekepan wrote:
I should add: I'd take the Moog. For ... maybe $500. Objectively, that's the price point that would justify its place in my studio. I already have a polytimbral synth that can do things that the Moog simply cannot, although to be fair the Moog will do a few things that it can't. It's a Waldorf Blofeld desktop, and it sells for around $500. But to say that I lust after the Moog and aspire to own it? Nope. It's a Veblen good, and I'm Veblen-immune.

Chuck a Pulse 2 (or even the original Pulse) under the Blofeld and you got a pretty damn good sounding synth, still not quite a Moog One. Very different sounding, but start stacking Pulses and it thickens up, as does the price. DSI's synths tend to do stacking too (but the Evolvers only stack with themselves Crying or Very sad)

You know why I love Waldorf and am non-plused about Moog generally? Waldorf have modulation options. They make synths for programmers. I have to look closer at what the Moog One's modulation options are, but I still think I'll only really love a Mother 32 (yeah yeah I'm a mummy's boy lol). A quick squizz at it's sources is impressive compared to usual, with CV/Gate i/o's in okay numbers. Ahh, I'm gonna build me a eurorack poly. Cost me more in the long run, but I won't notice it as it happens and it'll be perfect for me! Wink
Stuff I'm using: Umm right now, well there's a Volca Drum, a Micro Freak, an ADX-1, a Pulse, a Blofeld, a UNO Drum, KeyStep/Beatstep Pro/Keystep Pro (one of each), a Circuit, a LiveTrak L-12 and this nonsense: The Brief-case as it was about a bit over a year ago (the the complete ridiculous GAS monster collection here)and here
Koekepan
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2018 3:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup, that pretty much covers it. The Blofeld will do 3-OSC synthesis, with oodles of modulation options and even some cross-modulations. It rolls effects into the sound, and will also do wavetables, samples (if you pay for the little upgrade, which I haven't bothered to do) and comb filters. You could buy half a dozen Blofelds, have more voices even on the hungriest DSP patches than the Moog One's 16 voice option, and have spent half the price of the 8 voice Moog One.

Or even if you regard the Blofeld as a freak that shouldn't be in the mix, consider the Reface DX. MIDI-accessible 4-operator, multi-waveshape FM synthesis is nothing to sneeze at. 8 voice polyphony for less than the Blofeld. Or the Behringer DeepMind in its desktop form. If I remember correctly that will stack as well.

Please understand, I'm not saying that the Moog One is bad. I'm sure it's great. I'm sure it'll give you stronger pecs, better definition, and bronzed skin. Whiter teeth, fresher breath and even clear up that acne. It just isn't price competitive with other options in the market, the very instant that you take that shiny MOOG badge off.
I don't buy BMW, Mercedes, Aston Martin nor Maserati. I don't buy Cristal, nor Johnny Walker Blue Label. I don't even have a watch any more, but if I did it wouldn't be a handcrafted piece of swiss jewelry.

And I don't buy Moog for the badge.
psionic311
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2018 4:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not buying the One for its badge; I'm buying it for the sound, its tri-timbrality, and its synthesis capabilities. My Sweetwater rep gushed about how he got classic vintage tones out of it ranging from Roland to Oberheim to Sequential.

My synth chops are probably just average, having learnt on a Juno 106, DW-8000, Fantom Xa, Fusion, Micron, Kronos, OB-6, Rev2, Minitaur, and Andromeda. Of course the Andy is deep, but the Fusion and Micron also have amazingly deep synthesis capabilities, as well as the Kronos synth engines.

Being a player more than a producer, I've assembled combis as much as I've synthesized from scratch, and have my rompler needs covered with Kronos + Integra. I had a P12 that I returned, sold my OB-6, and am replacing my Rev2 with the One. Because of sound.

I hardly record but I do gig. I'm looking for that thick analog sound that seems to only exist in my mind and apparently in expensive and aging vintage gear. The Kronos combis cover the pop stuff great, but for the 70s and 80s prog and wave analog I spend too much time tweaking its VAs just to dial in *that* sound. Those deceptive music forum side-by-side audio recordings challenging you on whether you could suss out analog from virtual analog in blind listening sessions all miss the point. On your smartphone speaker you couldn't tell a General MIDI slap bass sound from a real bass guitar. In person, live, and through a sound system competing with drums and guitar is what separates the wheat from the chaff.

I dislike the sound of the much acclaimed Virus. Sure, there are lots of parameters to tweak, but in the end the sound is anything but meaty or monstrous. For me the lowly Micron sounds fuller. The Andromeda can be coaxed to get some big boy sounds, but it can sound a bit too thin or polite, and mine is fiddly enough to discourage loving it. It will probably help pay for the One.

I'm gambling the One will be that beefy multi-timbral poly analog I've been searching for for about 2 decades now. Then I can streamline my rig and sell off the pieces and parts I've acquired to approximate the One -- the Matrix 1000, the Slim Phatty, the Art tube pre-amp, the Boog D. I'll probably keep the Minitaur for its punch and form factor, and supplement all that analog with the digital wavetables in the multi-timbral Blofeld.

If I had the space, I'd get a baby grand piano, and probably an upright too. I may use software if I decided to record, but for that daily driver inspiration and performing creative fix, I'll stick with the real instruments. Of which I'm betting the One will be.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Latest News All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: