Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Cheap MIDI Interfaces for the microKorg and SysEx errors?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg MS2000 & microKorg
View previous topic :: View next topic  
XenoBreak

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 1:26 am    Post subject: Cheap MIDI Interfaces for the microKorg and SysEx errors? Reply with quote

Hello!

I'm looking for a cheap MIDI interface to use between my microKorg and Windows 10 PC. I will be using FL Studio as well.

I have seen a bunch that seem to have promise but a lot of them might have issues with sending or receiving "SysEx" messages or something along those lines... i have no idea what that means. Will this error/problem effect my ability to use the microKorg to control the VST Plugins within FLStudio or use its own pre-loaded sounds to make my music? I am very new to all of this btw. Many of the things i'm reading are older posts online so maybe the problem has been solved with updates or something? Or maybe there is some way to fix the problem by now?

I was looking at things like:

midiplus Tbox 2X2
M-Audio MIDISPORT 1x1
UM-ONE-MK2
M-Audio USB Midisport Uno

I know these are cheaper options but i can't afford anything more expensive. Since i'm just a beginner i can always upgrade to something better later once i get a grasp on this stuff.
OpAmp
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

SysEx messages are long messages. Cheap interfaces tend to cut off parts, overflow internally or something like that on these messages. So an improper exchange between the synth and the PC.

To control a VST from the mK or to play the mK from within FL, you typically only need the short messages, like notes, mod and pitch wheel, other CC messages. Those will be fine, otherwise the interface would be completely useless.

The mK uses the long SysEx messages to download or backup patches. (E.g. when using the editor.) For a performance you don't need that normally.

Have fun.
XenoBreak

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah OK, I appreciate the response! So what are patches and why would i want to download or back them up? Like a software/hardware update?
OpAmp
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Euhm, the official terminology according to Korg for a patch is a program. It is the set of parameters which create a certain sound, like type of oscillator, cutoff of the filter and so on. The mK has 128 of them. Some you will like, others are maybe useless for you. You may also tweak the parameters of the program yourself or create a complete new program and want to save it. At that moment you need to sacrifice one of 128 programs to overwrite it with your own new one. At that moment, or if you want to create more than 128 programs, you may backup some older programs on your PC or build up a library on your PC.

The programs can be backed up from the mK to the PC and later downloaded back again from the PC to the mK. On your PC you will not be limited to 128. So that is done via SysEx messages over the MIDI cables/interface. This is typically the approach for whatever intstrument with a limited set of programs. Personally I would really always want to have that. Therefore it is better to immediately invest in a bit more expensive USB-MIDI interface than regret it and buy it anyway later.

Which one is ok? Hard to say upfront. I would go for a box version with USB port and MIDI ports (to be completed with USB and MIDI cables) and avoid all-in-one cable like devices which have on one end USB and the other end MIDI.
gerardhvisser

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2018 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've read lots of complaints about cheap cables. I use the Midisport 2x2 or a Focusrite which work fine. You WANT to be able to load/store and edit patches, believe me, so you will need reliable Sysex transfer. HOWEVER: put the Midi clock to EXTERNAL during the transfer or you will get crazy from frustrating MIDI errors. (I've posted some YouTube video's on the PC-Editor).
Succes and have fun!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg MS2000 & microKorg All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: