Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Korg Pa4X With Cubase
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
congan2

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 3:04 pm    Post subject: Korg Pa4X With Cubase Reply with quote

Hello Friends,
- I am using Macbook Pro
I connected my Korg Pa4X with Cubase Ai 8, Using Korg Pa4X xml sequencer template., Installed Korg Pa4X driver for Mac

- Add a midi track and using Piano to record a couple of bars, press play back and the Midi track that I just recorded above play like a mess, it does not sound the same way that I play for the record..

What is wrong? please help me to explain, Where can I find the Korg Midi diver in Mac...it is real easy for PC

Thanks
karmathanever
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Korg MIDI driver for Mac seems to work fine with my PA4X and Kronos

Have you installed the latest version.
What version on OSX are you running - High Sierra is a pain but getting better......

Cheers

Pete Very Happy
...and play lots of music Very Happy
------------------------------------------------------------------
congan2

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

karmathanever wrote:
The Korg MIDI driver for Mac seems to work fine with my PA4X and Kronos

Have you installed the latest version.
What version on OSX are you running - High Sierra is a pain but getting better......

Cheers

Pete Very Happy

Yes, I download direct from Korg's website and installed the latest version.
Yes I have High Sierra...

Please help me with this since you already have an experiences with.

Thank you very much.
Sam CA
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So you have a working connections then. What the channel assignment for that midi track?

QuiRobinez
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i've mentioned this in a different thread where i showed how to use a midi file on your pa4x that uses sounds from your daw. In this example below i use ableton, but the procedure is exactly the same for cubase. In your case you forgot to set the global - midi channels (on your pa4x) to the corresponding midi channels in cubase.

Original post (excerpt):
For the people that doesn't follow my youtube or facebook channel, here is a new Korg Pa4x demo where i show the Korg Pa4x Songbook mode with one of the Ambient Piano sounds from the Korg Pa4x QR sound set.

The song is an ambient remix from me from the song Time from Hans Zimmer (theme from the Inception movie)

For the people that want to know how i created that song on the pa4x, here is a technical explanation:

- First i created a midi file from scratch in Ableton Live where i play all the midi parts that i don't play in this track.
- Then i exported this midi file to usb and imported it on the Korg Pa4x in song mode.
- then i created a keyboard set (in this case the Ambient Piano from the Korg Pa4x QR sound set)

Now you have the midi file and your own sounds combined. But in this example i use a combination of Korg Pa4x sounds and sounds from Omnisphere (strings, pads and voices) in realtime together triggered from the Korg Pa4x song mode (midi file)

You can set that up as follows:
- by connecting the usb of the Korg Pa4x to your computer you can use the midi functionality of the Korg Pa4x.
- then what you do is start Ableton Live, add 16 midi tracks over there and route them to the Korg Pa4x for each midi channel by selecting Pa4x 1 Keyboard and the corresponding midi channel below it and set the monitoring for each channel to In.
- the next step is to set on global mode - midi out on the pa4x that you route every channel (16 are there) to the corresponding channel and set global Local midi control to off on the pa4x, because you do the routing now through Ableton Live.

Now press play on the korg pa4x. The routing above ensures that you hear all the sounds the same way as normally on your pa4x because the routing is done in ableton now to the pa4x. But if you want for instance change the strings in the midi file to Omnisphere VST instrument, then the only thing you have to do is to load the omnisphere synth for that specific channel and select a string sound in Omnispere. Now the string midi information is still set from your pa4x to the daw but you routed that specific midi channel to Omnisphere instead of the internal sound on the Pa4x.

This is what i do in this video for the strings and choir sounds. It sounds more complicated then it actually is. Once you understand the midi routing then it's really easy to do on your computer.

Note: Omnisphere is a virtual synth from Spectrasonics that you can load in your DAW (sequencer) of choice.
congan2

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sam CA wrote:
So you have a working connections then. What the channel assignment for that midi track?

Yes, that's why I asked Because I am not sure how to setup these channels.

Thanks
congan2

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

QuiRobinez wrote:
i've mentioned this in a different thread where i showed how to use a midi file on your pa4x that uses sounds from your daw. In this example below i use ableton, but the procedure is exactly the same for cubase. In your case you forgot to set the global - midi channels (on your pa4x) to the corresponding midi channels in cubase.

How to set the Global - Midi Channels (on Pa4x) to the corresponding midi channels in Cubase.?

Thanks for your help !
Sam CA
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

congan2 wrote:
Sam CA wrote:

Thanks

You still didn't say what the channel assignment was in Cubase. You're the only person who could possibly know that.

QuiRobinez
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

congan2 wrote:
QuiRobinez wrote:

How to set the Global - Midi Channels (on Pa4x) to the corresponding midi channels in Cubase.?

Thanks for your help !

the method i use in the video is a little more complicated then your situation, but in your situation you should do the following:

On the Korg Pa4x:
- press the global button
- press the midi button on the touch screen
- press the midi IN tab on the touch screen
- select for channel 1: PLY 1 Ch 1
- select for channel 2: PLY 1 Ch 2
- select for channel 3: PLY 1 Ch 3
- do this for every channel (all 16)

Now you have set your pa4x that it listens in sequencer and song mode for 16 different midi channels from your DAW

Now open cubase
- create a new song
- create 16 midi tracks
- select midi track 1
- go to the inspector on the left; in the midi out select: Pa4x Sound, to set the midi channel set the value for midi channel to 1
- select midi track 2
- go to the inspector on the left; in the midi out select: Pa4x Sound, to set the midi channel set the value for midi channel to 2
- select midi track 3
- go to the inspector on the left; in the midi out select: Pa4x Sound, to set the midi channel set the value for midi channel to 3
- do this for all the 16 midi tracks you created in cubase

Now go to your pa4x and select for instance a piano for channel 1, a bass for channel 2 and a flute for channel 3

If you now play on midi track 1 in cubase you will hear the piano
if you play in midi track 2 you will hear the bass
on midi track 3 you will hear the flute

If you got this working then the next step is to load a midi file in cubase
in that case set all the midi out values from each track to Pa4x sound. Don't modify the midi channels, press play and the midi file plays correctly on your pa4x from cubase.

If you have downloaded the pa4x xml file then there is a second thing you should do, but this is a little bit more complicated and i thought i explained it in one of the threads here earlier, but i have to check, i know that there is a video on youtube from someone that explains how to do that, but i have no idea who that was, i saw it a long time ago.

If you want to do something similar as in my video then the procedure is that you have to route the midi channels on the pa4x to the corresponding pa4x channels or to the midi out channels in your daw. But that is a totally different kind of question that's outside the scope of your situation.

if you don't have the pa4x sound option in cubase for midi out you schould check if you installed the korg midi driver and that in cubase it's enabled in the devices - midi settings.
congan2

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2018 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sam CA wrote:
congan2 wrote:
Sam CA wrote:

Thanks

You still didn't say what the channel assignment was in Cubase. You're the only person who could possibly know that.

I was using channel 1 in cubase and using the Italian Piano for my midi track...I play a couple of notes and press playback but it does not sound like what I was playing, it just sounds totally wrong,...I don't use the Sequencer button on the Korg Pa4X for the record, I just record a midi track and used Korg Pa4X sounds as it is a midi controller. Because what I want is to make a style from what I want to make.

Thanks
congan2

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2018 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

QuiRobinez wrote:
congan2 wrote:
QuiRobinez wrote:

Thanks for your help !

the method i use in the video is a little more complicated then your situation, but in your situation you should do the following:

On the Korg Pa4x:
- press the global button
- press the midi button on the touch screen
- press the midi IN tab on the touch screen
- select for channel 1: PLY 1 Ch 1
- select for channel 2: PLY 1 Ch 2
- select for channel 3: PLY 1 Ch 3
- do this for every channel (all 16)

Now you have set your pa4x that it listens in sequencer and song mode for 16 different midi channels from your DAW

Now open cubase
- create a new song
- create 16 midi tracks
- select midi track 1
- go to the inspector on the left; in the midi out select: Pa4x Sound, to set the midi channel set the value for midi channel to 1
- select midi track 2
- go to the inspector on the left; in the midi out select: Pa4x Sound, to set the midi channel set the value for midi channel to 2
- select midi track 3
- go to the inspector on the left; in the midi out select: Pa4x Sound, to set the midi channel set the value for midi channel to 3
- do this for all the 16 midi tracks you created in cubase

Now go to your pa4x and select for instance a piano for channel 1, a bass for channel 2 and a flute for channel 3

If you now play on midi track 1 in cubase you will hear the piano
if you play in midi track 2 you will hear the bass
on midi track 3 you will hear the flute

If you got this working then the next step is to load a midi file in cubase
in that case set all the midi out values from each track to Pa4x sound. Don't modify the midi channels, press play and the midi file plays correctly on your pa4x from cubase.

If you have downloaded the pa4x xml file then there is a second thing you should do, but this is a little bit more complicated and i thought i explained it in one of the threads here earlier, but i have to check, i know that there is a video on youtube from someone that explains how to do that, but i have no idea who that was, i saw it a long time ago.

If you want to do something similar as in my video then the procedure is that you have to route the midi channels on the pa4x to the corresponding pa4x channels or to the midi out channels in your daw. But that is a totally different kind of question that's outside the scope of your situation.

if you don't have the pa4x sound option in cubase for midi out you schould check if you installed the korg midi driver and that in cubase it's enabled in the devices - midi settings.

Thank you for your help, but it does not work for me.

Thanks
QuiRobinez
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

congan2 wrote:

Thanks

ok sorry to hear that,
i don't think that i can help you further, the procedure is rather simple and it should work.

If you want more help over here, you really need to give more information what doesn't work. Since now i have to guess what step you do wrong.

my guess is now that most likely you are creating instrument tracks in cubase. Those are not midi tracks, you need to use midi tracks to get this to work.
congan2

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

QuiRobinez wrote:
congan2 wrote:

Thanks

ok sorry to hear that,
i don't think that i can help you further, the procedure is rather simple and it should work.

If you want more help over here, you really need to give more information what doesn't work. Since now i have to guess what step you do wrong.

my guess is now that most likely you are creating instrument tracks in cubase. Those are not midi tracks, you need to use midi tracks to get this to work.

Here is what I did on Cubase:
I basically, Open Cubase- Device-Midi Manager-Import Setup to import the Korg Pa4X xlm file to Cubase.
Exit Midi Devive window...
-Add Midi Track-All Midi Inputs -Selected Korg Pa4X Sounds
-Output Routing - Selected Korg Pa4X
-Channel selected 1
Go back to my Korg Pa4X- Selected an Italian Piano and start to record. Fisnished the Record and hit playback and the midi play as a mess, not what I expected.

Thanks
Sam CA
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where is that Italian grand selected? Upper one?

congan2

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sam CA wrote:
Where is that Italian grand selected? Upper one?

yes, it is Upper 1
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Pa4X All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: