Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Piano sounds comparison - Pa1000
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  

Which sound do you prefer?
Piano A
25%
 25%  [ 1 ]
Piano B
75%
 75%  [ 3 ]
Total Votes : 4

tyros2013

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 5:05 pm    Post subject: Piano sounds comparison - Pa1000 Reply with quote

I’ve played two different Piano sounds on the Pa1000. Please tell me which sound you prefer. Here’s the link.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4OHlI8n9IFc&feature=youtu.be

Oh, I shouldn’t forget to mention that I’’m not a classic player, just played to demonstrate the sounds.
Reuben
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great video and nicely played. I can’t hear much of a difference but am leaning toward B.
You are very talented and obviously interested in getting the best sound.
Don’t forget you can add a whole bunch of new pianos for free. Follow the links in this YouTube demo if you are interested.
https://youtu.be/D2tfClq3kGM
duby2
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2018 12:58 am    Post subject: p1p2\ Reply with quote

Piano a and piano B are they factory pianos or something you made up or you downloaded from the Internet somewhat I could see they do not look like what came with the PA 1000 I could be wrong I've been wrong many times before so tell me more are they factory pianos with factory samples from the PA 1000 or something different both pianos sound nice
tyros2013

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2018 3:59 am    Post subject: Re: p1p2\ Reply with quote

duby2 wrote:
Piano a and piano B are they factory pianos or something you made up or you downloaded from the Internet somewhat I could see they do not look like what came with the PA 1000 I could be wrong I've been wrong many times before so tell me more are they factory pianos with factory samples from the PA 1000 or something different both pianos sound nice

Actually, one of them is the preset Piano without any modification, the other is a custom sound using custom PCM.
tyros2013

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2018 4:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reuben wrote:
Great video and nicely played. I can’t hear much of a difference but am leaning toward B.
You are very talented and obviously interested in getting the best sound.
Don’t forget you can add a whole bunch of new pianos for free. Follow the links in this YouTube demo if you are interested.
https://youtu.be/D2tfClq3kGM

Thanks Reuben. I came across your Yamaha C5 when I was looking for a soundfont for my PC. I did try the sound on my Pa1000 and really loved it. To be honest, I favour it over the Pa1000 factory Piano.

If you listen to the two pianos (A & B) through a pair of monitor speakers or headphone, I believe you will notice differences (albeit subtle) between them, especially regarding sound dynamics.
duby2
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2018 12:08 am    Post subject: tell me Reply with quote

I like the sound of piano b both are good ones cleaner sounding the ones little more muddy sounding but you would pay them in different situations I have done what you have done with my PA4 and my pa1000 , side-by-side same amp same EQ no effects and sat there for hours playing one keyboard one note then trying it on the other one they were very close friends of mine they could not tell the difference if you're really looking for a good piano sound you need a dedicated keyboard and if you plan rock 'n' roll and jazz the notes go by so fast it's tough to tell the difference so which one do you like that's the question tell me that a or B.
Inside of my PA4x they have a nice Italian. Piano it sounds very clean and you get here the strings I wish I could copy those samples onto my PA1000.
midimusa

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2018 7:10 pm    Post subject: Piano sounds comparison - Pa1000 Reply with quote

I Dont know, why this comparison. That kind of keyboards are not for that.
From my side I prefer the A version, and in some places B version.
It depends how they were played in realtime. Anyway I think that arranger keyboards are not suitable for that comparison. You can choose that setting what you like for more, but for me - you can compare different piano sounds from different (electrical pianos) facturers (Yamaha, Roland etc.). For me there is no difference. I prefer the Real (acoustic) Piano and then we can compare witch is better and it depends, who is tunet it.
tyros2013

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2018 4:39 pm    Post subject: Re: tell me Reply with quote

duby2 wrote:

Inside of my PA4x they have a nice Italian. Piano it sounds very clean and you get here the strings I wish I could copy those samples onto my PA1000.

It's easy. You can't copy the samples but you can record them at different velocities then import them into the Pa1000.
tyros2013

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2018 5:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Piano sounds comparison - Pa1000 Reply with quote

midimusa wrote:
From my side I prefer the A version, and in some places B version.
It depends how they were played in realtime. Anyway I think that arranger keyboards are not suitable for that comparison. You can choose that setting what you like for more, but for me - you can compare different piano sounds from different (electrical pianos) facturers (Yamaha, Roland etc.). For me there is no difference. I prefer the Real (acoustic) Piano and then we can compare witch is better and it depends, who is tunet it.

Though you see no difference, Piano sounds A and B are completely different in terms of sound sources (the samples) and how they have been programmed. One of the sounds is the preset Piano sound of the Korg Pa1000, and the other is a custom sound utilizing custom PCM. The latter can be piano samples recorded from a piano sound of Yamaha, Roland or even a real (acoustic) piano. Get my point? I'm comparing two different piano sounds, not just one sound with different settings.

Of course, no one should compare an acoustic piano with a digital piano or keyboard for they have their own advantages and disadvantages. For musicians who play in small bands, it's impossible to bring an acoustic piano every time; that's where electric keyboards and digital pianos are in place. And it's totally understandable if musicians want to equip their keyboards with the most realistic sounds possible.

Last but not least, you may think that arranger keyboards are not suitable for piano (comparisons) but with 300MB User PCM and lots of effects offered by this Pa1000, I've been able to sample a high-quality piano sound (29 unlooped sampled notes for 88 keys, 6 velocity layers simulating different key pressures). And don't forget that with a decent 88-key midi controller featuring weighted hammer keyboard connected to the arranger, I can have a quite satisfactory setup on stage.
midimusa

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2018 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes i see the difference if You wanna just compare the piano sample sounds.
But i do not agree using for that half of the RAM of the instrument. It is the taste of honey and what music what you prefer for performance. Yes i try to make good piano samples and sound below 60 MB and the same is with Electric organ sounds, but i should keep the RAM memory for other samplings and sounds. It is for me not a computer with no limitations.
AntonySharmman
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2018 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you want a real acoustic piano in a poor user PCM samples Ram arranger then you have the following options :
1) Use sample modeling technique , very hard to achieve without being an expert sound developer , simulating natural
duration and velocity layers devoting 50 - 100 Mb of compressed Ram with per semitone sampled piano notes.
2) Using authentic acoustic piano per semitones sampled notes within at least 4 velocity layers at a size over 220 Mb
compressed PCM size as tyros2013 did with obvious results that would be better with samples per semitone and
fewer velocity layer samples ...

Wavesart has already in circulation a real acoustic piano C7 for Pa4X/Pa1000 of 225 Mb compressed Ram size
http://www.korgforums.com/forum/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=728900&sid=244927ebaa15bdc93f82ad969dffc05e
although IMO Pa1000 61 keybed do not deserve it !

Keyboards : Steinway-D, Kronos X, Pa5X 76, Pa4X 76, Montage M7 , Roland-XV88, Emu3,Emax II,Synclavier II,Yamaha DX Series, ΟΒ-8V
tyros2013

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AntonySharmman wrote:
If you want a real acoustic piano in a poor user PCM samples Ram arranger then you have the following options :
1) Use sample modeling technique , very hard to achieve without being an expert sound developer , simulating natural
duration and velocity layers devoting 50 - 100 Mb of compressed Ram with per semitone sampled piano notes.
2) Using authentic acoustic piano per semitones sampled notes within at least 4 velocity layers at a size over 220 Mb
compressed PCM size as tyros2013 did with obvious results that would be better with samples per semitone and
fewer velocity layer samples ...

Wavesart has already in circulation a real acoustic piano C7 for Pa4X/Pa1000 of 225 Mb compressed Ram size
http://www.korgforums.com/forum/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=728900&sid=244927ebaa15bdc93f82ad969dffc05e
although IMO Pa1000 61 keybed do not deserve it !

Hi, I'm really impressed by your C7 Piano sounds. If I had a PA4X, I would definitely buy one. I agree with you that the PA1000 keybed is not good enough for a piano player. I also have a Krome with a very good Piano sound IMO, so I'm not very satisfied with the factory piano sound on the PA1000. Perhaps I should get myself a GrandStage or Kronos for better sounds in the future.
AntonySharmman
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tyros2013 wrote:
Perhaps I should get myself a GrandStage or Kronos for better sounds in the future.

If you ever get a Kronos 88 , your one way solution as a pianist is definately WavesArt Pianos Suite" ... Wink

Keyboards : Steinway-D, Kronos X, Pa5X 76, Pa4X 76, Montage M7 , Roland-XV88, Emu3,Emax II,Synclavier II,Yamaha DX Series, ΟΒ-8V
Sam CA
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 10:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Piano sounds comparison - Pa1000 Reply with quote

midimusa wrote:

While different keyboards are more suitable for different applications, you can NEVER make a general statement like that. It just doesn't work that way!

tyros2013

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 3:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AntonySharmman wrote:
tyros2013 wrote:
Perhaps I should get myself a GrandStage or Kronos for better sounds in the future.

If you ever get a Kronos 88 , your one way solution as a pianist is definately WavesArt Pianos Suite" ... Wink

Yes, if I am to buy a Kronos, 88 keys is the way. And, I've been visiting your site so many times admiring the sounds you create.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg PA1000/PA700 All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: