Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Korg Kross 2 vs. Krome trial results

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Puukka

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 9:22 am    Post subject: Korg Kross 2 vs. Krome trial results Reply with quote

Because of Korg´s workstation price reduction I´ve spent some days studying the differences between Kross 2 and Krome.

Here are some details:
Pianos, organs, strings etc. sound more Hi-Fi and dynamic at the Krome. Many of these paches benifit of the additional 3-band EQ but unfortunately that´s lost when using the patch in combi-mode or sequencer.
The pianos are using 8 velocity layers instead of 4. The Classical Choir patch has bit more sample range than the choirs of the Kross.
So if I´d need realistic sounds, I´d rather go for the Krome.

Interestingly the synthesizer patches sound exactly the same.
I guess they share the same multisamples, while at least some of the multisamples of the natural instruments seem to be recorded differently.

Beside that they share same features, except one quite important:
At the Kross I have to choose between reverb or delay, also for the complete combi or sequencer tracks.
At the Krome I can use reverb and delay together, or extra for each instrument at the combis/sequencer tracks.

Transportability would be another argument, Krome is quite bigger and heavier.

Regards,
Herbert

Last edited by Puukka on Wed Jul 11, 2018 9:47 pm; edited 3 times in total
Biggles
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting results, thanks for sharing.

One thing is certsin the Kross 2 cannot be beaten for ease of transportation it is so light. It is the main reason that I chose mine even though I found the Roland DS easier to use and it produced better sound.
Scott
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2019 1:29 am    Post subject: Re: Korg Kross 2 vs. Krome trial results Reply with quote

Puukka wrote:
Beside that they share same features, except one quite important:
At the Kross I have to choose between reverb or delay, also for the complete combi or sequencer tracks.
At the Krome I can use reverb and delay together, or extra for each instrument at the combis/sequencer tracks.

There are a bunch of other feature differences... Kross 2 has sample trigger pads, audio recorder, line inputs, vocoder, battery operation, and step sequencer. Krome has color touch screen, and 4 control knobs instead of 2. There's also the difference between joystick vs. separate wheels.
Shutoku

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2019 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a Krome 88 and a Kross 1 64.

I would agree with your results over all, but I think the Krome sounds better even on synth sounds. It might just be better sounding effects or something?

I do wish the Krome had an input though. That is a really handy feature on the Kross.

Portability definitely goes to the Kross but it's not really fair to compare an 88 and a 64.
However I tried to go back to the Kross for a more synth based band I play with sometimes, but in the end the sound and rang of the Krome made it impossible to go back to the Kross.

As a result my Kross pretty much stays in it's case now. I probably should sell it or trade it in on something. Sort of eyeing the Minilogue XD, or a Behringer D.
christroy

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2020 6:47 pm    Post subject: Kross 2 Vocoder Reply with quote

I was deciding bewteen the Roland Juno DS and the Kross 2 and I went with the Kross 2 for a number of reasons. One thing I notice - the Kross 2 Vocoder has a pretty strong raw vocal mix in it. The JUNO DS did not. Does anyone know if the raw vocal mix can be removed or at least reduced?

Thanks
davc

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2021 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

on my Krome EX , each part in a Combi has the 3 band EQ .. !?
Musicwithharry
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2021 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe that it really is a matter of programming. I get just about everything I need from the Kross (I have 4 Kross 1 synths), with the exception of good guitar sounds. This is probably due to the limited EFX routings that you can do on the Kross. This is certainly one area where the Krome does better. In fact, I still have an M50 that I use for lead guitar sounds, because I can stack EFX in the Insert positions much easier without limitation of Reverb vs Delay, etc...

For what the Kross does, I believe it to be a real winner. The Kross 2 ups that ante even further Smile

I feel like the Krome is sort of an 'odd duck' of sorts in Korg's lineup. Granted it has over 3.8 Gb of piano ad EP sounds and the full Ambient Drum kit from the Kronos, but it seems to be lacking on other features (beyond the touch screen and piano-roll style sequence editing). There are no Audio-Ins, no audio recording, no pads or triggers, etc...

I feel that the Krome would be a solid low-middle entry, especially now that the Nautilus has been released.

It also seems that the Kross has more abilities for upgrades, considering the release of the OASYS piano and a couple other libraries that you can add to it. What Korg has done with the 149 Mb of sample data in the Kross 2 is pretty remarkable.

If I had to pick between the Kross and Krome, I would pick the Kross. It seems to be poised better, especially if you dig into the programming a little bit Smile

One thing to consider - if Korg released a version of the Kross, say a Kross 3, maybe it would have a touch screen and expanded sample memory in it. If they did this, I believe the Krome would become an obsolete type item...

Grace,
Harry
Alesis Vortex Keytar, Alesis QS6.2, Alesis QSR, Alesis SR-16, Behringer Deepmind-12, Ensoniq Avista 7600, Ensoniq VFX, Ensoniq VFX-SD, Ensoniq SQ1+, (2) Ensoniq SQ-R+/32, Korg i3 (2020 Version), (2) Korg Kross 1-61, (2) Korg Kross 1-88, Korg Minilogue XD, Korg Minilogue XD Module, Korg M50-61, Korg PA700, Korg X5DR, Korg Z3, Kurzweil SP1, Lowrey EZP3 (bascially a Kawai), Roland D-05, Roland E-09, Waldorf Streichfett, Yamaha Reface CP, Yamaha Reface CS, Yamaha Reface DX, Yamaha Reface YC

Last edited by Musicwithharry on Thu Feb 25, 2021 11:53 pm; edited 2 times in total
Scott
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2021 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's similar to how the Roland Juno DS (Kross price range) compares to the Roland FA (Krome price range). The more expensive one is not necessarily better. The pricier one definitely has some significant advantages, but there are also a bunch of things the lower priced one can do better than the higher priced one.
Shutoku

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2021 3:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

re-reading this a couple of things I thought I would mention.

1. the three band eq on the Krome IS also available in combi mode.

2. why did I keep referring to my kross as 64???? it is of course a 61 key.

3. I did some programming on both my kross and krome and I still maintain the Krome sounds better on literally everything including synth sounds. Again I don't know if it is effects or what the reason is, but my kross sounds kind of cheap and plasticky compared to the krome.
That said I happened to see a video of a performance I did on the kross a few years ago, and I was very pleased with how the kross sounded.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> KORG Kross All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: