Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Transposition disappointment

View previous topic :: View next topic  
stevewahl

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 4:43 pm    Post subject: Transposition disappointment Reply with quote

I realize this problem would be years old, and I haven't read *all* of the old messages to see if this has ben covered before.

Is anyone else disappointed that the transpose option, e.g. in the set list, simply changes the midi note going into the rest of the synth, *before* going into whatever combi or sequence is set up, so that split points move with the transposition -- the splits happen at the pitch they were originally programmed at, rather than the keyboard position they were originally set to?

If I have a split set up for a song, and the band decides to play the song in a different key, say to accommodate the singer, I would like to just change the transpose setting to alter the pitch that comes out, while playing the notes where I have practiced them. But the split point moves as well, so a key that was previously at the high end of a part is now in the low end of the next part, and so the wrong sound comes out when I hit that note.
Falcon2e
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do understand your situation. Playing in two bands creates a challenge for me, one band tunes to A 440, and the other is down a half step. There are a few songs that are being played by both bands. What I have done is to create two different combis, one for each band. The combis are identical except for adjusting split point and pitch. I keep all of the combis for band “A” in user bank A, and all of the combis for band “B” in a different user bank. That’s my work around for the situation.
stevewahl

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, I know how to make it work by modifying the Combi, that's not a problem, asside from the number of steps it takes to get there. It's just when you're at a rehearsal and decide to try changing keys at the spur of the moment that it causes problems.
KK
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure if I follow, but on my K2 split points don't move when transposing in set list mode. Maybe it varies with Kronos model and firmware ?
geoelectro
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KK wrote:
Not sure if I follow, but on my K2 split points don't move when transposing in set list mode. Maybe it varies with Kronos model and firmware ?

Yes is the action I'm seeing. Transpose in setlist only changes the pitches, not the split points. Transposing in Global changes both the pitches and split points. This is one reason I was very happy when transpose was added to the setlist mode and that it preserved the split points.

Geo
N.I. Komplete 11, Omnisphere 2, VB-3.
HP i7 8GB Win 10
Yamaha P-80 Weighted Keyboard. NanoPad2
LZ
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2018 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agreed - I have an original Kronos and when I transpose in setlist it definitely does not change split points. Last summer I was very happy to learn this because I had a fill-in gig with a band that tunes down 1/2 step. I loaded combis and songs from setlists that I had done with other bands and in the setlist for this band, just transposed everything down 1 semitone and everything worked flawlessly. I was actually pretty excited over the fact that I didn't have to go in and modify anything and save duplicates at different tunings. Worked perfectly.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: