Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

installing third party stuff on a new kronos.

View previous topic :: View next topic  
andym63

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2018 4:57 pm    Post subject: installing third party stuff on a new kronos. Reply with quote

So i just baught a Kronos 2 and cloned the 60 GB Factory drive on to a 512 GB samsung 860 pro ,expanded the partition and put it back in the kronos and all is well.
Now ime thinking about buying some new sounds,not that ime unhappy with the factory stuff i should imagine ille be busy with them for quite some time.
But i do like to tinker so i thaught i would buy the following.
https://www.synthonia.com/marketplace/korg-sounds/kronos/korg-kronos-series-synthologia-complete-cover-detail
But before i do i thaught i would ask here about installing new librarys and what to watch out for etc,as I have read som stuff about the kronos being tempramental when it comes to installing new librarys .
I have a couple of obvious questions .

1.How do i prevent the new library install from over writing the factory stuff.(or will it automaticaly write sample date etc to empty user banks)
2.Is there enough Ram in a kronos to allow pre loading of the factory content plus the new expanssion if i buy it.

The kronos is new and i have updated the OS there are no other third party librarys on it just the berlin piano stuff that korg put in.
I have backed up all the factory Stuff and i have the original 60 GB ssd stashed.

I also wonder if anyone has tried booting the kronos using UNetbootin or something similar on a thumb drive? In order to back up /clone the internal drive via USB withought having to remove the drive.

Thx Andy
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2018 5:20 pm    Post subject: Re: installing third party stuff on a new kronos. Reply with quote

andym63 wrote:

I also wonder if anyone has tried booting the kronos using UNetbootin or something similar on a thumb drive? In order to back up /clone the internal drive via USB withought having to remove the drive.

Thx Andy

don't know UNetboot.

Your K2 boots strictly from the factory SSD , a specific SATA port.
OS is located on the boot SSD.

It will not boot from a USB device. Or whatever device you insert to USB A or B

2) 2.Is there enough Ram.......

- this will depend on the 3rd party sample Lib you buy. They should disclose how much RAM is required. From there you need to do the math on how much Ram
your K2 is taking up.

In general, you shouldn't have too much issue on the 1st few 3rd party sample libs you buy. I think the developers know they have to write to stream most of their work from SSD to make it useable.

IOW, the sample lib will have some kind of 'footer' that requires RAM, and points
to SSD to stream the rest of the sample lib.

Thats the best I understand it. If you google the forum, this topic comes up frequently
AntonySharmman
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2018 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

- EXi engines do not require samples , you will loose only Free Bank slots and not free Ram.
- Official commercial EXs , will never overwrite factory resources , they just overwrite each other
(over 200 EXs to be installed in only 5 free Programs Banks)
- Normally the first 1 -2 official EXs libraries will work fine , then good luck if you see common Banks installation ...
- WavesArt will customize any purchasing libraries according to your personal Kronos Setup ,
as concerning others , you'd better prefer sound library bundles from the same favorite sound developer of yours.

- You can't use USB 2 port to boot Linux OS with multiple Ext2/3 system partitions ... this won't work even if you use a USB
to sata converter and the factory Kronos SSD.
- If you want to avoid removing internal SSD for test & trial or any other purpose , then use extension cables of Primary Sata
port 1 & supply cable outside Kronos (or mounted on device chassis) and everytime you connect there a cloned boot SSD then
Kronos will boot from this one !
This is my method for express SSD exchanges in Gigs in case of internal SSD failure.

Hope this helps

Keyboards : Steinway-D, Kronos X, Pa5X 76, Pa4X 76, Montage M7 , Roland-XV88, Emu3,Emax II,Synclavier II,Yamaha DX Series, ΟΒ-8V
andym63

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2018 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So you mean EXi sounds use synthesis modeling.
And EXs sounds are sample based and therefore use ram and disk space for samples.
Could you please clarify what you mean by
”Over 200 exs to be installed in only 5 free program banks”
Do you mean that there are are over 200 official EXs and that there are only 5 free user banks avalable to install them in?

Thx for your help and patience.
Andy
AntonySharmman
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2018 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

andym63 wrote:

Do you mean that there are are over 200 official EXs and that there are only 5 free user banks avalable to install them in?

Yep ... and each one requires at least 1 program bank and 1 Combination & 1 WS bank frequently !

Keyboards : Steinway-D, Kronos X, Pa5X 76, Pa4X 76, Montage M7 , Roland-XV88, Emu3,Emax II,Synclavier II,Yamaha DX Series, ΟΒ-8V
andym63

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2018 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AntonySharmman wrote:
andym63 wrote:

Yep ... and each one requires at least 1 program bank and 1 Combination & 1 WS bank frequently !

I see Thx
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: