Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Kronos competitors?
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bachus
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 7:43 pm    Post subject: The Kronos competitors? Reply with quote

So how old is the Kronos? And the oasys with basically a comparable engine before that?

Yet still there is no direct competition..

Sure there is the montage, but with yamaha still adding missing features, that should have been in it at release (they finally added daw controlls this week) and only 2 sound engines, it still falls short of the kronos...

And then there is the Nord stage 3, different format, but competing for the same spot on stage.. and offering organs, piano’s synths and sampled sounds.. might be the strongest competition for the Kronos where it comes to the performance part..

Roland is no where to be seen, altough the fa-06 and 08 come closer to the Kronos concept then the montage and Nord stage.. its quite a lot cheaper then the kronos, but also somehow aging much faster then the Kronos..

Well, maybe the prophet X is the biggest competitor for the Kronos 61. It combines a VA engine with samples.. and covers a huge soundpallete.. and 50 GB free for user samples?

Another competitor is NI komplete kontrol mk2.. but that misses all the workstation features... and karma.. its software based tough and very very versatile espescially with the better maschine integrtaion..

But isn’t it time the Kronos gets some real competition, so Korg finally gets a reason to bring us the long awayted Kronos replacement?
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

these electronic cos know their #'s and the global marketplace. They are not high stakes gamblers.

It seems if they offer a $3500-$$4500 keyboard, they are going to create their own niche product.

IOW, there is no " me too, here's our $4000 Kronos killer "

Since we are going on +7 years, my conclusion is not expect any
all in 1 work station keyboard, similar to Kronos, even as 'old ' as it is.

I think we have to put on our business hats to understand whats going on.
We can look at the products that you list, to get decent clues. And see how they
fit it, how are they different, etc. Anyway, thats how I see it.

I am not much for 'wishing' for these cos to spec out a w/s according to my needs.
Mike Conway
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 10:35 pm    Post subject: Re: The Kronos competitors? Reply with quote

Bachus wrote:
Well, maybe the prophet X is the biggest competitor for the Kronos 61. It combines a VA engine with samples.. and covers a huge soundpallete.. and 50 GB free for user samples?

I've been watching the Quantum and Prophet X threads/demos, since they were announced. I may even spring for the Quantum, at some point. The main trump for those, over the Kronos, are analogue filters. But that comes at the cost of much polyphony. (Btw, I'll be running my Kronos though a Boog filter to see how that works.)

The Prophet X is 8 note stereo poly (16 mono), and the Quantum is 8 note poly. The FX are very limited, in comparison. No FM. (yet) Kronos has ace Wavesequencing, though Quantum has wavetable functionality.
Perhaps, you are not going to make a symphony with either of those synths, but either would make a great addition to a studio with a Kronos in it.
ITguy54

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 12:45 am    Post subject: Re: The Kronos competitors? Reply with quote

The only thing I can think of, that might take away attention from the Kronos, is the Yamaha Genos. Not from the number of sound engines, but from shear music making power with really good sounds. To tell you the truth, I had expected Yamaha and Roland to compete better against the Kronos and they haven't.
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 2:39 am    Post subject: Re: The Kronos competitors? Reply with quote

[quote="Mike Conway"]
Bachus wrote:
W

The Prophet X is 8 note stereo poly (16 mono), and the Quantum is 8 note poly. The FX are very limited, in comparison. No FM. (yet) Kronos has ace Wavesequencing, though Quantum has wavetable functionality.
Perhaps, you are not going to make a symphony with either of those synths, but either would make a great addition to a studio with a Kronos in it.

https://www.youtube.com/embed/3llkAbeDimU

I went thru the 1st 18 minutes of this demo. The audio quality is poor. Most
of the sounds the guy played were nothing special.

I would guess there is a new world of potential here but I haven't heard it. I went thru 10 user demos on SC- nothing inspiring.

They should invest in a more exciting demo to quickly show how exciting it is.
I don't need 3 minutes on a sine wave. Maybe as a song writer of cinematic music, I m not the target
Bachus
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 4:36 am    Post subject: Re: The Kronos competitors? Reply with quote

GregC wrote:

I would guess there is a new world of potential here but I haven't heard it. I went thru 10 user demos on SC- nothing inspiring.

I don't need 3 minutes on a sine wave. Maybe as a song writer of cinematic music, I m not the target

Check out these demo's from 8DIO themselves. So far indeed the DSI demo guy didn't really convince me either. Not in this video, not in his demo's at Muiskmesse.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IcH5l60SDiY&list=PL329TBPfH2CuouKjkwJuu6K3FXn0ZTiou

I allways asumed that "a song writer of cinematic music" is exactly the tartget they are aiming at.
leonh

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Only competitor to Kronos is expensive DAW setup with keyboard ect which is a bit of pain to take out for live music so if you think of Kronos as portable top quality DAW with keyboard then is no competitor out there hence no new model so far .
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 1:26 pm    Post subject: Re: The Kronos competitors? Reply with quote

Bachus wrote:
GregC wrote:

Check out these demo's from 8DIO themselves. So far indeed the DSI demo guy didn't really convince me either. Not in this video, not in his demo's at Muiskmesse.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IcH5l60SDiY&list=PL329TBPfH2CuouKjkwJuu6K3FXn0ZTiou

I allways asumed that "a song writer of cinematic music" is exactly the tartget they are aiming at.

Thanks ! Thats much better. I went thru several of the 8Dio YT's or factory patches.

They are more convincing - I can appreciate the sonic quality of the Prophet X

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bxgtrdjlWoE&index=21&list=PL329TBPfH2CuouKjkwJuu6K3FXn0ZTiou
Bachus
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 6:08 pm    Post subject: Re: The Kronos competitors? Reply with quote

GregC wrote:
Bachus wrote:
GregC wrote:

Thanks ! Thats much better. I went thru several of the 8Dio YT's or factory patches.

They are more convincing - I can appreciate the sonic quality of the Prophet X

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bxgtrdjlWoE&index=21&list=PL329TBPfH2CuouKjkwJuu6K3FXn0ZTiou

Hehe, i tought you would like those...
Derek Cook
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, I still do not think the Kronos has a natural competitor in terms of number of engines and feature set in a standalone packaged up synth format (it would not be fair to start counting the breadth and diversity of what I have in VSTis.

The Montage is not a competitor as it has quite a different feature set, more angled at live performance with no workstation features.

I have both Montage 7 and Kronos X61 and they complement each other quite nicely.

Follow kronos.factory development and submit ideas over at the kronos.factory Trello Board

My Echoes Music Website
My Carreg Ddu Music Website
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Derek Cook wrote:
Hi, I still do not think the Kronos has a natural competitor in terms of number of engines and feature set in a standalone packaged up synth format (it would not be fair to start counting the breadth and diversity of what I have in VSTis.

The Montage is not a competitor as it has quite a different feature set, more angled at live performance with no workstation features.

I have both Montage 7 and Kronos X61 and they complement each other quite nicely.

thats good to know- your eval/compare on VSTi's

With Montage, for $4000, I would ( mildly interested) to contrast the Montage and our K's. From my song writing perspective, I don't want to pay a premium for overlap. Acoustic Pianos is 1 important priority for a preference. Or determine its a ' tie ' between the two expensive keyboards..

Its a check list of 20 to sort it out. But thats my approach, I prefer to analyze on the $4000 question.
PCFREE
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Kurzweil Forte may not have sampling but it is sonically excellent and has around 3.3gb flash memory for sample import, a 16 track sequencer, arpeggiators, powerful sound creation abilities (V.A.S.T) and it started life as a humble stage piano !!

It’s evolved into a very powerful workstation !! You can also layer 16 programs at the same time and each program can have much more layers than the Kronos.

It may not be a ‘direct’ competitor but I think it shouldn’t be discounted.

I think the number of sound engines doesn’t matter so much as how an instrument sounds overall - and how capable an instrument is at creating sounds.

Each keyboard uses its own form of synthesis.

There is no doubt that the Kronos is the most “complete” workstation in terms of features.

....as we forgive those who synthesize against us!!
ITguy54

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2018 4:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What about the Studioblade?
benny ray
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2018 7:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kronos 2 will be discontinued next year and a new replacement will be introduced in 2019.
karmathanever
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2018 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting news Benny.
Am I correct in that you are connected to the Korg company in some way or have some close connections with inside info?

You use the terms "discontinued" and "replacement" both of which interest me very much.....

Cheers

Pete Very Happy
...and play lots of music Very Happy
------------------------------------------------------------------
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: