Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

TRENDnet TU2-ET100 - cable unplugged
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ChrisDuncan

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2018 9:49 pm    Post subject: TRENDnet TU2-ET100 - cable unplugged Reply with quote

Hey, guys.

I bought a new Kronos this week, and just bought a TRENDnet TU2-ET100. No matter which USB A port I connect it to, the status reports "cable unplugged."

I've unplugged from the Trendnet, plugged it into another computer, and it immediately recognizes the network. So the cable is good and the network is there, but the adapter doesn't seem to recognize that it's connected to the network.

Is there some kind of driver installation required on the Kronos before this works? I specifically bought this adapter because it was listed as supported in the manual, but perhaps I'm missing a step.

Here's what I've tried thus far:

Rebooted the Kronos with everything plugged in.
Plugged into both of the USB A ports
Pressed Configure and OK to try reconnecting

Each time after attempting to connect, the status comes back "cable unplugged."

Would be grateful for any insights.
Chris Duncan
Atlanta, GA, USA, Earth
pedro5
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2018 12:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you may need to use an FTP client software.

There are several free ones available as a download.
(I use Cyberduck on an imac).

There are some set up steps to be made.

A google search produced this...
https://www.google.com/search?client=safari&rls=en&q=ftp+set+up+for+a+korg+kronos&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8#cns=1

This is a good link from it.
http://www.korgforums.com/forum/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=706459&sid=d3b9e6dc2ea2cf070bb662594010c87d

Best Wishes.
ChrisDuncan

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2018 2:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I appreciate the thought, but this is prior to ftp. The USB ethernet adapter isn't seeing the cable connecting to the network.
Chris Duncan
Atlanta, GA, USA, Earth
pedro5
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2018 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try the following that may re-set things.

Kronos Network menu.
(Press the following buttons).

Configure.
None (disable ethernet).
ok….This will disconnect and set to off.

Configure.
Manual.
ok…..This may show “Invalid Router”.

Configure.
DHCP.
ok

The Kronos should set self assign and hopefully(?) connect.

Best Wishes.
ChrisDuncan

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2018 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Pedro. I hadn't mentioned it but I did try that procedure to no avail. Also did a a reboot or two without success.
Chris Duncan
Atlanta, GA, USA, Earth
pedro5
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2018 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for letting us know.
Shame it didn't help.

By coincidence,the "cable unplugged" happened to me recently and the method mentioned cured it.
I also have the TRENDnet TU2-ET100 adapter which does work fine,but on an imac.

Don't know what else to suggest,but perhaps someone else can provide a solution.

Good Luck.

Best Wishes.
ChrisDuncan

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2018 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How long ago did you buy the Trendnet?

My current guess is that the one I just bought this week has somehow been updated by them and is no longer compatible with the drivers on the Kronos.

The whole adapter section in the manual references 2012 so it may well be that the drivers are from that year as well. So, if a manufacturer changes their device, it could break compatibility since there's no way to install newer drivers on the Kronos.

I searched Amazon for all the other adapters listed in the manual and none of them are available anymore. It seems like the adapter support for Kronos was fire and forget in 2012 with no attention given to it beyond that.
Chris Duncan
Atlanta, GA, USA, Earth
pedro5
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2018 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought my adapter in 2015.

Not sure which version it is.....the current one is 5,apparently.
However,it should still work with windows....10/8 and 7.

The drivers would be for a computer os rather than the Kronos.
Perhaps worth trying a fresh driver download and install.

A couple of thoughts...
Router settings.
Windows 7 64 bit....compatabillity.

Another suggestion would be to contact Korg support and/or Trendnet for advice.

Best Wishes.
ChrisDuncan

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2018 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pedro5 wrote:

The drivers would be for a computer os rather than the Kronos.
Perhaps worth trying a fresh driver download and install.

You plug the TrendNet into the Kronos so that you can then to attach an ethernet cable to it and connect it to the network, right?

Not sure why the computer would need the TrendNet drivers. The computer's already connected to the network.

Am I missing something?
Chris Duncan
Atlanta, GA, USA, Earth
pedro5
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2018 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not all devices need installation of specific drivers,especially windows 10 or most imac osx.
However,it may be the first place to check if things don't work.

Driver link page.

http://www.trendnet.com/support/supportdetail.asp?prod=285_TU2-ET100

BTW According to some reviews,it does work with windows 7 64 bit....so this uncertainty can now be set aside.

Best Wishes.
pedro5
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Although I don't know much about computer stuff,the following are notes of my understanding how things work.

A driver helps make a device or interface “work with” its host.
In this sense, the Kronos would be a server on a local network, the adapter a device and the pc being the host.

The only Kronos driver available is for usb midi function which includes the editor.
It’s important to follow the installation guide.

Although I use an iMac/os the following may also apply to a pc/windows.
If you want to use the editor as a vst instrument/device…..cubase needs to be in 32 bit mode which can be found with older cubase software.
(Setting a version 9 to accommodate the change would be self defeating just to do so).

The editor should work as a stand alone app for both iMac and windows in 64 bit mode which can run alongside cubase etc.

Hope this helps.

Best Wishes.
ChrisDuncan

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pedro,

I really appreciate all your efforts to help me.

I've made a living as a software developer for the past 30 years, so I'm reasonably comfortable with Windows tech (although there are days when I feel like a caveman staring in fear and wonder at a Bic lighter).

We'll assume that the computer you want Kronos to talk to is network ready (i.e. has an motherboard or attached ethernet adapter with its device drivers installed). In my case, it's a Windows PC with an onboard ethernet adapter, and it's already on the network (I have an office, recording studio and small herd of other computers on a local network in the 192.168.x.x range).

In order for the Kronos to talk to a network, there are several sequential steps that have to happen.

1. Kronos has to recognize the USB to Ethernet adapter that's plugged into it. This requires a device driver in the Kronos to allow its OS to talk to the Trendnet. Device drivers are the glue that bind the OS and hardware (both internal and external) together so that software commands can make hardware do things.
2. Once the OS can talk to the adapter hardware, you can connect a cable and attach it to a network router or a computer.
3. Assuming your network is up and running (with a DHCP server present if you're going that route), with the driver loaded and a cable connected, you then press the Configure button and set up the networking interface to be either DHCP or static IP. This establishes the actual TCP/IP communication between the Kronos and your network.
4. With communication in place, you can then access the Kronos via FTP from other devices on this network.

We're failing at step 1. The Trendnet is plugged into the Kronos, but it's not functioning properly, erroneously complaining that the cable is unplugged. This sort of behavior typically indicates that the device driver, i.e. the glue between the Kronos OS and the attached hardware device, in this case the Trendnet, is not doing its job properly. That means game over as you can't proceed to step 2 before step 1 is successful.

The Kronos uses a customized version of Linux as its OS. This means that in order for external devices to work, they need Linux versions of their device drivers loaded into the Korg OS. That's why the manual states that only the listed brands and versions of USB to ethernet adapters are supported - they're the only ones that Korg included device drivers for in the OS. Unless you want to hack into the Linux OS (and I really don't), there's no way for a user to load new device drivers.

My guess is that they obtained the appropriate Linux device drivers for the listed adapters back in 2012 and left it at that. So, at the time, if you bought one of those adapters, everything would work just fine. However, over time manufacturers make changes to their products. If there are new / different features in the hardware (e.g. the Trendnet), this often requires changes in the device driver as that's what talks to the hardware.

So, if Trendnet updated their adapter, which I'm guessing is the case, it wouldn't behave properly with the older version of the device driver that's installed on the Kronos.

When I searched Amazon for the other adapters listed in the manual, I couldn't find any of them for sale. The tech biz moves along at a brisk pace, so six years is a long time. Those "old" products have been discontinued by their manufacturers for newer ones.

If my assessment is correct, what this means is that there are only two ways to get the Kronos onto a network - either buy an old, discontinued version of the listed adapters and hope it's the same version that matches up with Korg's 2012 drivers or pop the top on the Kronos and access the ethernet adapter on the motherboard. I've read a few articles on doing that so I know it's possible but I'd rather not go there.

There is a third option, which is probably the one I'll be using. Sneaker net. I can transfer files with a USB thumb drive. It's inconvenient, but it works.

I did send Korg support an email on Saturday, and they auto replied estimating 2 to 3 business days for a response. I'll talk to them to see if there's a solution I'm overlooking, but I'm reasonably certain at this point that my assessment above accurately reflects reality, in which sneaker net is the only viable option.

Again, I very much appreciate the time you've taken to try to help me on this.
Chris Duncan
Atlanta, GA, USA, Earth
pedro5
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for a detailed reply and the interesting information.
(Told you I don’t know much about computer stuff…..Smile )

Shame there isn’t an immediate solution to this problem.

Perhaps Korg support may provide better insight that may be helpfull.

Meanwhile,what FrankWahl suggests will probably be worth doing.

Best Wishes.
ChrisDuncan

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I was encouraged by the fact that Frank's successfully using a D-Link even though it's not in the manual as a supported device.

I've ordered one Amazon Prime, so it'll be here Wednesday evening. I'll report back win or lose, for the benefit of anyone else who may fight this battle.

That's also one of the reasons I included all the geek stuff. Sooner or later someone else will come here trying to accomplish the same thing. Everyone's been so great about offering help, I wanted to offer whatever useful info I could in return.
Chris Duncan
Atlanta, GA, USA, Earth
pedro5
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for intending to keep us informed with your progress.
You've entered into the spirit of what this forum is about.
There are many here that are very helpfull, have a wealth of knowledge and always wanting to share information.

Hope you've had some time playing and exploring your Kronos.
Enjoy !!

Best Wishes.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: