Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What should I do first with my "new" Kronos?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
keeverw

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I had all the money in the world, I would buy a Kronos 2 61-key.
And I have a very limited budget, so I bought a used Kronos 2 61-key, and I am very happy with my purchase!

I am not exaggerating when I say this is the best all around keyboard in production (or out of production), period.
It excels in live situations, and also in the studio.
Or even just intimate piano sessions on the german grand, where you just need to express your soul on the keys, its amazing for that too! Get yourself a good set of speakers, and it will blow you away!

I have been a Korg person for a while, most recently with the M3, and all my Korg knowledge instantly translated to the Kronos. So I'm sure your Trinity experience will translate as well.

It will take some time to wrap your head around all of it, but in the mean time, dig through the wealth of amazingly well-crafted combis and play around with them. If you find one that is particularly inspiring you can easily and quickly move it to a sequencer song as I'm sure you already saw when you watched the tutorials.

You will enjoy this board for a long time! It is so far beyond the competition, it's unreal.

I would check each key at several velocities, and move each knob and press each button, and the joystick, and ribbon, etc.

Then plug a mic into each audio input.
Route the mic to each audio output, so you can check them as well.

If all the hardware works, and the sounds are coming out, there's probably nothing wrong with it, at least nothing that a factory reset wouldn't fix.

As many have already said, get yourself a UPS.
This will let you shut the K down properly in the event of a power outage, and many have built in surge protection that will protect in the event of a lighting strike or just a voltage surge on the power line.
You've invested a lot in the Kronos, a decent UPS is cheap insurance.
"For I consider that the sufferings of this present time are not even worth comparing to the glory that will be revealed to us." Rom 8:18
voip
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also have some fun with the real time control knobs. They are active when the RT Knobs/Karma switch is active (left hand panel). Although RT Control Knobs can be set up to control almost any sound sculpting parameter, in general, Korg have set Programs and Combis up so they tend to do similar things e.g. Realtime Knob 1 usually controls the low pass filter cutoff frequency, RT Knob 2 is resonance, whilst RT Knob 8 is usually reverb. As a suggestion, try the Combi I-D-006 (Delicato Strings). If it isn't there, try the search (magnifying glass) whilst in Combi mode. Try varying RT Knob 8 whilst playing and it will change the reverb amount from having a string ensemble in your living room, or kitchen, even, all the way to a large concert hall.

aellison62

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 5:41 pm    Post subject: UPS Reply with quote

I have read thru this thread and noticed the multiple suggestions for purchasing a UPS. Pardon my ignorance but are we talking about an AC power conditioner like Furman makes for instance? If so, I see they can range from a $55 8 outlet power strip type (with surge protector) to a rack mount unit for $300. Is there a model of this type that would NOT be sufficient enough? What exactly does the acronym UPS stand for? If we are talking about a unit with a battery backup, can anyone give a recommendation or say which one they use?

After purchasing my Kronos X-61 a few months ago, I agree that we should treat it like a computer with a keyboard and I would like to take this advice and start using something to protect the Kronos but need to educate myself a bit more first (obviously)

Thanks in advance,
timbukktwo

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

keeverw-

This is so true of what you said, “Get yourself a good set of speakers, and it will blow you away!”

(For my speaker setup, I personally monitor with Mackie HR824 MK I’s (and their sub HRS 120) using Monster Cable SP-1000 microphone cable’s w/xlr’s through a BBE 821 Sonic Maximizer; for my headphone setup, I use AKG K812’s through a Grace Design’s M920.)

Let me tell you just how GOOD the Kronos sounds!! On the other side of the coin, how really poor it sounds when some music stores use cables and speakers that can’t and don’t do it justice!! There’s a world of difference between the two!!
timbukktwo

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

aellison62-

I use Furman F1000-UPS

👍👍
KK
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 8:57 pm    Post subject: Re: UPS Reply with quote

aellison62 wrote:
What exactly does the acronym UPS stand for? If we are talking about a unit with a battery backup, can anyone give a recommendation or say which one they use?

Hi there, UPS simply means uninterruptible power supply. It both filters out the noise/garbage on the AC line and also temporarily disconnects the incoming AC power in case voltage goes too low or too high while feeding what it is connected to it with a true or pseudo-sine AC wave.

As already mentioned, a pseudo-sine wave UPS will be just fine to protect your Kronos (and other sensitive equipment you might have). I use one from APC. There are many other UPS brands as well like Furman, Tripp Lite, etc.
keeverw

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2018 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

timbukktwo wrote:
keeverw-

This is so true of what you said, “Get yourself a good set of speakers, and it will blow you away!”

(For my speaker setup, I personally monitor with Mackie HR824 MK I’s (and their sub HRS 120) using Monster Cable SP-1000 microphone cable’s w/xlr’s through a BBE 821 Sonic Maximizer; for my headphone setup, I use AKG K812’s through a Grace Design’s M920.)

Let me tell you just how GOOD the Kronos sounds!! On the other side of the coin, how really poor it sounds when some music stores use cables and speakers that can’t and don’t do it justice!! There’s a world of difference between the two!!

A UPS (uninterruptible power system) consists of 2 items at it's most basic level (although all in one box). A battery or set of batteries, and a battery charger, in parallel.

You connect it to the power outlet, and your keyboard to it.

If you were to lose power for any reason, the batteries would keep the Kronos powered up for a limited amount of time (depending on what size of UPS it is). If it's just a power blip your Kronos will never see it. And if it's an actual loss of power for a longer period of time, you can shut down your Kronos correctly, which is much safer than just suddenly losing power. If you lost power in the middle of a disk writing, it can cause major problems.
A UPS prevents that.

A UPS is not a line conditioner, or power conditioner, but most UPS systems also include a conditioner in the box. This helps keep the voltage within a safe range. Sometimes in the form of surge arresters, or capacitors.

(I'm a high-voltage electrician by trade. Wink
"For I consider that the sufferings of this present time are not even worth comparing to the glory that will be revealed to us." Rom 8:18
qqquartzzz

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2018 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great thread. Lots of helpful tips.
I didn't even think of getting a screen protector. Good one, Rigel.

All I can say as first thing to do is back-up, back-up, back-up. Just because...

I bought an APC BE425M as a UPS when I began having trouble with crashing issues. I'm way out in the country and I don't have the cleanest of electricity.
But this little puppy solved the problem. Haven't had a crash since.

http://www.apc.com/shop/us/en/products/APC-Back-UPS-6-Outlets-425VA-120V/P-BE425M
timbukktwo

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2018 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

keeverw-

I’m not quite sure what your getting at, as I think we’re on the same page, here.

I purchased the Furman F1000-UPS (studio use only) because it’s a pretty complete unit in an all in one package that DOES include ALL of the following:

(Bear in mind, one of the great things about this unit is that the unit itself is NON-SACRIFICIAL. Meaning, if it gets seriously zapped, the energy is dissapated so as to not damage the unit. Supposedly, fingers crossed.)

Furman F1000-UPS Voltage Regulator, Power Conditioner, and Backup Power Supply Features:
Furman's exclusive SMP Technology provides surge and spike protection
LiFT offers linear AC power filtering to ensure clean power
Advanced EVS circuitry detects dangerous voltage irregularities and safely powers down itself and connected equipment in unsafe conditions
1000VA Simulated Sine Wave battery backup protects your data in a power failure allowing the opportunity to save your applications and shutdown the system
Standard Voltage Regulation delivers a stable 120 volts of AC power to protect equipment from problems caused by AC line voltage irregularities
Eight total outlets rear outlets in isolated banks (Critical and Non-critical loads)
12 amp rating featuring circuit breaker for added protection
Digital indicators provide information on power quality and operational status of unit
Learning IR control allows you to program connected equipment for shut-down sequencing
RS-232 Open Source Code Protocol provides custom programming for connected equipment
Critical Load Management prioritizes the allocation of temporary power to connected equipment
Easy-to-use power control software assists you in maximizing the performance of your UPS
keeverw

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

timbukktwo wrote:
keeverw-

I’m not quite sure what your getting at, as I think we’re on the same page, here.

I purchased the Furman F1000-UPS (studio use only) because it’s a pretty complete unit in an all in one package that DOES include ALL of the following:

(Bear in mind, one of the great things about this unit is that the unit itself is NON-SACRIFICIAL. Meaning, if it gets seriously zapped, the energy is dissapated so as to not damage the unit. Supposedly, fingers crossed.)

Furman F1000-UPS Voltage Regulator, Power Conditioner, and Backup Power Supply Features:
Furman's exclusive SMP Technology provides surge and spike protection
LiFT offers linear AC power filtering to ensure clean power
Advanced EVS circuitry detects dangerous voltage irregularities and safely powers down itself and connected equipment in unsafe conditions
1000VA Simulated Sine Wave battery backup protects your data in a power failure allowing the opportunity to save your applications and shutdown the system
Standard Voltage Regulation delivers a stable 120 volts of AC power to protect equipment from problems caused by AC line voltage irregularities
Eight total outlets rear outlets in isolated banks (Critical and Non-critical loads)
12 amp rating featuring circuit breaker for added protection
Digital indicators provide information on power quality and operational status of unit
Learning IR control allows you to program connected equipment for shut-down sequencing
RS-232 Open Source Code Protocol provides custom programming for connected equipment
Critical Load Management prioritizes the allocation of temporary power to connected equipment
Easy-to-use power control software assists you in maximizing the performance of your UPS

I think I quoted the wrong person.
Sorry about that. Just answering the OP's question about UPS's.
timbukktwo

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No problem!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: