Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Kronos Tutoring

View previous topic :: View next topic  
randallholmes

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2018 2:39 am    Post subject: Kronos Tutoring Reply with quote

Hi Everyone Im a new guy. I owned a Kronos when they were first put on the market. Never bothered to study and learn it because the bands I was working in only required "blues Instruments" which I had covered.

Just bought a Kronos X and want to fully explore its capabilities . I have been working with electronic instruments since the 70's so I probably wont be to frustrating to work with. I am seeking a kronos expert to tutor me and I will pay a fair rate. This can be done via skype or any other means or if an expert is available in the Los Angeles area we can work this out.

I simply dont have time and would like to compensate someone who has a command of this instrument to help me use it to its full potential and accomplish this quickly.

Thank You
Randy
CharlesFerraro
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2018 5:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Randall Holmes, I'm Charles. It'd be fun to teach a dedicated learner who already has a background in music production. The Kronos is a fantastic instrument that's exploding with possibility. The more you learn about it the cooler it gets! Feel free to send a direct message with your e-mail or friend me on fb facebook.com/chasferraro
I won't be able to tutor for about two weeks from now, but we can discuss details in the meantime so I can prepare a lesson plan catered to your interests.

Feel free to check out my KARMA or effects series stickied at the top of the Kronos forums. Or go directly to my youtube channel for a bunch of mini lessons. I try to keep them digestible around ten minutes. https://www.youtube.com/charlesferraro/playlists

Dave Champagne also offers private lessons through https://audora.ca/services/

And people love Qui Robinez's tuts which can be found here https://www.youtube.com/user/qrobinez/playlists
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2018 1:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Kronos Tutoring Reply with quote

randallholmes wrote:
Hi Everyone Im a new guy. I owned a Kronos when they were first put on the market. Never bothered to study and learn it because the bands I was working in only required "blues Instruments" which I had covered.

Just bought a Kronos X and want to fully explore its capabilities . I have been working with electronic instruments since the 70's so I probably wont be to frustrating to work with. I am seeking a kronos expert to tutor me and I will pay a fair rate. This can be done via skype or any other means or if an expert is available in the Los Angeles area we can work this out.

I simply dont have time and would like to compensate someone who has a command of this instrument to help me use it to its full potential and accomplish this quickly.

Thank You
Randy

I think the Korg instructional videos on the K , on youTube are a must.

It breaks down the modes/subject and gives a good foundation on each.

For example, if you can't navigate on the K, its will be confusing. If you don't
'get ' the file system, you will get tripped up on installing Ex's and managing
PCG's, etc.

Sure, some will dislike the K's file system and certain modes. To work the K efficiently involves getting the basics. And its not a Windows PC. Our K's have a distinct approach.
CharlesFerraro
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2018 2:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, definitely review the video manual if you haven't already: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLI2nrlSczxHokHCj2OgZo7dtTu64LT6Ge
Liviou2004
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2018 8:17 am    Post subject: Re: Kronos Tutoring Reply with quote

randallholmes wrote:
....Just bought a Kronos X and want to fully explore its capabilities....

.....I simply dont have time .....
Randy

Sorry Randy, but these two parts of your post are totally incompatible : the Kronos needs many, many time in oder to explore its capabilities. The other way is just using many sounds banks.
But if you really want to "fully explore its capabilities", you'll have to give time to it.
As Charles said above, some have done wonderful tutos on Youtube : Qui Robinez, Charles Ferraro himself, Audora Audio, Scoopicman and some others.
But all in all, you'll have to use time to apply their tutos.

That would be wothwhile, for sure !
19naia
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2018 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe time to learn via self-taught, versus being taught the quick and direct need-to-know essentials. One is the slow track and the other is the fast track.

I still don’t see how the Korg video tutorials are not worth it for basics.
I agree the video tutorials even from many sources combined, are not enough for “full potential” command.
Full potential is a tall order when it comes to kronos.

Kronos was built to interface with so much other equipment, that i dont even think millions of dollars in a studio interfaced with Kronos, would guarantee you get full potential. A lifetime of rummaging though possibilites and then, within that lifetime, you will run into new model releases by korg, with more features and potential added.

After my time with kronos, i have come to terms with it being more about my full potential.
Figuring out kronos has taken me into figuring computers out, figuring out computer software options and other non Korg devices that interface with kronos to expand the already immense world kronos is by itself.

I needed to add an iPad and one other external device just to begin to tap into the external interface aspect of kronos.

https://youtu.be/a3Eu3h4kwXk
This ^^^ ^^^^^^^^^^^^^video link is good for tutorials if you follow his youtube channel ,and also shows a multi device setup centerd around Kronos and the original Korg workstation that Kronos is a clone of. Korg OASYS was the origianal Kronos. Kronos was cloned off of that and then enhanced from there. But the system and workings are the same at point of user interface.
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2018 1:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Kronos Tutoring Reply with quote

Liviou2004 wrote:
randallholmes wrote:
....Just bought a Kronos X and want to fully explore its capabilities....

.....I simply dont have time .....
Randy

Sorry Randy, but these two parts of your post are totally incompatible : the Kronos needs many, many time in oder to explore its capabilities. The other way is just using many sounds banks.
But if you really want to "fully explore its capabilities", you'll have to give time to it.
!

thats true. We can't fight physics. To ''fully explore" Kronos takes some years.
There is no short cut.

Selective Learning on how to take advantage of Kronos would be a better approach.

Fo example, if a new K2 owner will never record on the SEQ , no need to spend
time on the SEQ.

I think getting grounded on the basics, then branching off to specific areas is the way to go. IOW, a new K2 owner should be grounded on the modes of Kronos, Global, Disk, Program, Combi, etc etc. A K2 owner can't handle file management without understanding Disk mode.

A K2 has to be familiar with Global mode to handle various tasks, including
pedal assignment.

From the basics, I think a K2 owner can figure out his/her requirements or priorities. Once example is Program development and editing and tweaking and adding Fx. That priority and learning can easily take several months but is worth the focus. Time well spent assuming thats the priority.

Bottom line, there is no quick and dirty way to manage the Kronos. I recommend having an approach and having an idea of priorities/requirements.
randallholmes

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 3:21 am    Post subject: Kronos Tutoring Reply with quote

Thanks for all of the replies. I totally get that the k is a very deep instrument. And that time spent listening to videos etc is needed to get the basic. But theres always that little stumbling block. I am willing to pay someone who possibly has not been compensated adequately for the time and energy required to learn this instrument to help me make this instrument more useful to me. In this regard its a win-win someone who has spent the time mastering this instrument could be paid some money to help further their endeavors and I get pointed in the right direction. And we make connections that are helpful to each other. My emphasis is probably in being able to cover a lot of prog rock and classic rock situations in a live venue and on another level i want to use the capabilities of this instrument for my own compositions. Im mostly a jazz, sophisticated pop guy but I enjoy a lot of the electronic music stuff.
Heres the bottom line , I dont have the time to figure out this instrument totally, my time is better spent in the composing area. Ill figure this all out in a step by step way. Just need to get pointed at this time. Anybody willing to help Im in And I hope once I get some familiarity , I can contribute to this forum. Thanks again for all the contributors and I hope I can be of service once I get my feet totally wet. Randy
Mike Conway
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 7:55 am    Post subject: Re: Kronos Tutoring Reply with quote

randallholmes wrote:
I am willing to pay someone who possibly has not been compensated adequately for the time and energy required to learn this instrument to help me make this instrument more useful to me

Charles Ferraro, one of the most knowledgeable Kronos guys on this forum or anywhere, responded to your post on the 23rd. I would contact him, while his offer still stands. Good luck!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: