Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Is it dangerous to load different .KSC's all the time?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
bazic

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 5:01 pm    Post subject: Is it dangerous to load different .KSC's all the time? Reply with quote

Since i have a custom KSC with different samples, programs, and combis, and i also need some factory kronos sounds, is it dangerous to load dofferent KSC, PNG files all the time? Since i don't have a solution on how to transfer these factory programs to my custom ones. Thanks in advance.
19naia
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No danger if you back up every KSC and .PCG file you have. SAVE a version of each working setup. Save it to disk mode and name it so you recognize it later.
After that, you can experiement with merging content from various files into one new setup that works for you.
The danger is in making mistakes ,but you can recover and start again if you have backups.
From there you learn to not make the same mistake again and less danger afterwards.

Even meeting a few huge bear in the woods ,is no danger if you have the right backup with you.
Multiple copies of the same backup across the full variety of media offered, is even safer. One in each hand and a few more in the backpack and side pockets.
And shout loud so the neighbors hear you if it gets too dangerous for one person to handle. I heard your call loud and clear here and i came to help. Maybe more people will come soon.

no danger, just backup and safe keep the backup, and experiment with file content merging as you please. And call out for more help if it gets too dangerous for you to handle alone.
KK
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good advice from 19naia. Indeed it is simply a matter of doing backups of everything before you move and change stuff.

I just finished rearranging most of the Kronos factory programs in an order I find much more intuitive, regrouping all the acoustic pianos together, followed by all the electric pianos and so on, and also with all the "I" banks as HD-1 type, "U" banks as EXi type, etc. For this, one needs lots of patience and the three main Kronos freeware (PCG Tools, Kronos Editor and TidyKronos). Makes a lot more sense now compared to before.

So in short, experiment as needed ad don't be afraid to do mistakes. With backups, you can always start over to eventually accomplish what you want.
bazic

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay thanks, listen to this. I have a custom .KSC,.PCG, (and something else) i recently bought, and they contain all new programs, combis and samples and a lot more. But because of that, i cant have all the factory sounds because it cant fit into ram memory of course. So the question is, how do i take programs or combis I like from factory kronos files, and put them into my custom one? Thanks
19naia
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 12:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bazic wrote:
Okay thanks, listen to this. I have a custom .KSC,.PCG, (and something else) i recently bought, and they contain all new programs, combis and samples and a lot more. But because of that, i cant have all the factory sounds because it cant fit into ram memory of course. So the question is, how do i take programs or combis I like from factory kronos files, and put them into my custom one? Thanks

Not easy if you are picking and choosing a random selection from a single EX library, but it is possible in Global mode “sample management”.
Finding the right sample to the right programs takes work.
And then being sure that any of the program are not used in a combi you like and want to keep.

Sample management page lets you remove entire sample libraries or single samples in a library, but does not easily reference which sample is used in which program. And the programs do not reference which program is used in which combis. That is the hard part. Tracking which sample is used in what programs and which program is used in what combis.
A single sample could be used in one program you do not like and then also used in a program you do like.
Same way a single program can be used in multiple combis.

Ultimately, getting rid of samples or EX libraries will open up RAM space, but which ones to get rid of is a real chore. Backup files are always there to get you back up from a mistake, as long as you have all the needed backups made.

Take a look at “Sample management” page in Global mode and then see what questions or ideas you come up with.

Taking Programs and combis from one file to another is the easy part. Copy and paste in Utility page of Disk mode. Open one file and select items. Then use the copy function. Then go to the destination file and use the paste function there. I use it to bring files from SSD to USB.

Maybe there is a “Load required samples” function such that you sort out your programs and combis files as you please, and then the ones missing the EX samples or user samples, will be selectively brought in via “Load required samples”. Not sure how that works but it is a feature in kronos.

I guess best to start with copy and paste tasks in Disk mode and then seeing how or where happens the selectively and automatically bringing in of KSC and user sample files.
If no luck with “Load required samples”, then you can go to Sample Management in global mode to sort out the KSC and EX library details.

Take a look at which samples have the Stream from disk or stream from RAM option. There is a RAM use optimize function if i recall correctly.
But definitley look for the settings that let you take samples away from ram ans stream them from SSD.

SGX-2 premium pianos use more GB of samples per a single piano, than there are GB in entirety of Kronos RAM. I think a 5GB sample based piano.
So SSD has been purposed for doing some of the work of RAM and that is why in Sample management, you will find settings that set samples to stream from RAM or SSD. RAM is ideal, but SSD is close enough in speed and certainly big enough to handle huge stores of samples in the streaming section.
Be sure to have all the samples that can stream from SSD, set to SSD streaming. I am not sure it is possible to manage ram use any better than Factory set has, but once you start removing things and replacing, you have to work out your own optimal management of ram use.
I think easiest to be sure that only what cannot stream from SSD, is streamed from RAM and then work out load bearing compromises from that point forward.
KK
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 12:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As mentioned, use the Global sample manage tab. By unloading stuff in a given existing KSC using this tab, you can save a "reduced" version of it under another name, which gives memory space.

One approach is to quickly play/try the Kronos programs based on extra EXs libraries you have and define which progs you will probably never use because they sound too cliché or annoying to your ears, etc. For example, one of the EXs I bought is the complete set partly presented in one of the Kronos-2 extra demo libraries. So I was loading about 30% of its multisamples (MS) twice for nothing. After unloading the MS in the factory K2 EXs, I saved a lighter Preload KSC under another name and use this one now instead of the factory Preload. A bit more work and I recently cleared a total 303 Mb of memory for now. That's a start and I can now load other EXs or MSs instead, or simply boot the K2 faster.

To quickly find out which samples are played in each program, you can use the TidyKronos freeware, looking in the last column for each one. Also, if a sample is missing in a program while you clean/reduce a KSC, it will show up at the top of the screen. You can then load just the necessary missing samples before saving your correct reduced KSC.

The most important is... Backup your stuff often. This way, if you forget anything, you can quickly correct your new KSC or start over from a last important step, etc. No real danger as long as you save often or at different points of your process if it involves many edits.
bazic

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow I just came home late, and reading this whole thing gave me a headache haha, i hope it isn't as hard as it looks. I will give this a try tomorrow when I'm fresh. If I figure out anything I will send it here. Thank you for your time and effort writing this!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: