Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What's the largest SSD you got to work in the Kronos ?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
kday

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 2:15 am    Post subject: What's the largest SSD you got to work in the Kronos ? Reply with quote

What's the largest SSD you got to work in the Kronos and without any problems and what brand of SSD are you using?

I'm thinking about upgrading and using the Samsung SSD but I want to know what the largest amount of GB can the Kronos OS recognize?

Thanks for any help.
ChrisDuncan

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure if this is an issue with the K2, but my workhorse computers are some fairly old Dell T3500 towers. Xeon processors, good performance, but with one strange glitch. The motherboard chipset simply wouldn't talk to Samsung brand SSDs. Some research at the time confirmed that as a known issue.

All of which is to ponder whether or not the K2 cares about the brand of drives.

I always thought SATA was SATA but turns out I was wrong. Of course, that's not unfamiliar territory.
Chris Duncan
Atlanta, GA, USA, Earth
matro

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 10:59 pm    Post subject: Re: What's the largest SSD you got to work in the Kronos ? Reply with quote

kday wrote:
What's the largest SSD you got to work in the Kronos and without any problems and what brand of SSD are you using?

I'm thinking about upgrading and using the Samsung SSD but I want to know what the largest amount of GB can the Kronos OS recognize?

Thanks for any help.

I replaced the original 30GB SSD with a 240GB WD Green SSD. But I had to clone the original one outside of the Kronos and then expand the partitions.
Liviou2004
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 6:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my Kronos 2 : I've kept the original 60 Gb system SSD and added a Samsung 250 Gb SSD connected on the second Sata port.
All is working well.
kday

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ChrisDuncan wrote:
I'm not sure if this is an issue with the K2, but my workhorse computers are some fairly old Dell T3500 towers. Xeon processors, good performance, but with one strange glitch. The motherboard chipset simply wouldn't talk to Samsung brand SSDs. Some research at the time confirmed that as a known issue.

All of which is to ponder whether or not the K2 cares about the brand of drives.

I always thought SATA was SATA but turns out I was wrong. Of course, that's not unfamiliar territory.

I've read that some users had no problems using Samsung 250GB & 500GB hard drives, so I guess the Kronos don't care which brand it is either.
andym63

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi
I have a samsung 860 pro 1TB in my kronos 2 2015.It works just fine.
kday

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

andym63 wrote:
Hi

Thanks andy, I was just about to buy a 500GB so now i have another option. Very Happy
Bachus
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 7:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

andym63 wrote:
Hi

How much of that 1000 GB do you actually use?
I don’t think anyone here is actually using more them 200 GB?
kday

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

andym63 wrote:
Hi

Does it format to 1TB ?
andym63

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi
I removed the factory Ssd from the kronos and cloned it on to the Samsung using a Startech disc cloner.
That gave me a 1 TB drive with a 60 Gb partition.
I used Gparted on a Unetbootin distro runing of a pc via a usb stick to expand the partition to just under 1TB.
I also tried a 500 GB samsung 860 ssd.This also worked.
I used the 1TB because i had it i agree that 250—500GB is proberbly more than enough it is nice to have plenty of space for backups and other stuff though.
I do wish there was a way of cloning the internal drive of the kronos withought having to unscrew everything or make holes in it.
kday

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2018 2:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

andym63 wrote:
Hi
I removed the factory Ssd from the kronos and cloned it on to the Samsung using a Startech disc cloner.
That gave me a 1 TB drive with a 60 Gb partition.
I used Gparted on a Unetbootin distro runing of a pc via a usb stick to expand the partition to just under 1TB.
I also tried a 500 GB samsung 860 ssd.This also worked.
I used the 1TB because i had it i agree that 250—500GB is proberbly more than enough it is nice to have plenty of space for backups and other stuff though.
I do wish there was a way of cloning the internal drive of the kronos withought having to unscrew everything or make holes in it.

What do you mean make holes in it, don't the Samsung SSD drive fit the slots of the Kronos? And there is no way of formatting the other partition in the kronos?

Can you format the whole drive before putting in the Kronos and just copy the Kronos files unto a pre-formatted SSD drive?

You're saying I have to copy Kronos files then take SSD back out and format the unformatted unused partition on a new SSD?
andym63

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2018 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dont mean make holes in the drive i mean the kronos in order to be able to access the internal drive to be able to clone it regularly .

You can not just copy the files.

You have to either clone the original drive (do a google serch on cloning hard discs for an explanation) or do a new install using the cds.

Andy
Gargamel314
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

do faster SSD's make much of a difference on the Kronos?
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2018 12:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gargamel314 wrote:
do faster SSD's make much of a difference on the Kronos?

there are some claims of saving a few seconds but I don't believe the diff is significant. The OS defines processing speed IMO.
andym63

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2018 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No
No significant difference for me time afraid!
Andy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: