Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

How to shut off Midi receive in a combi ( or setlist slot )

View previous topic :: View next topic  
aellison62

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 9:27 pm    Post subject: How to shut off Midi receive in a combi ( or setlist slot ) Reply with quote

Can anyone tell me the simplest way to shut off Midi (note) receive in a combi ? Is it possible to do this per slot in a set list? This ( set list slot ) would be the best way since it wouldn’t alter the combi in other uses.
19naia
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 11:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It has to happen in Combi mode and will follow through to setlist mode.
None of the combi settings can be independent of combi mode.

Set list is only a list that draws from combi mode, program mode and song mode to fill slots. Set list does not have any real control of its own over the workings of the combis, programs and songs. Maybe just program change control.

Set list simply taps into the modes and uses the content there to make a list.
What set list does independently is slot the various mode content’s for organization in a way that brings content from across the various modes into a single set for easy access. Most of set list features are about organizing set lists.
It will let you access tone adjust, EXi and Karma settings in Setlist, as well as adding its own EQ suite just for set list content regardless of what the sounds already come with from the various independent modes.

Maybe look at the EXi and Tone adjust options in setlist, for your midi note shut off.
You may find a setting there that works or simulates.
I cannot imagine how turning off midi note recieve makes a difference when only one slot at a time stays active unless using Smooth sound transition.

I cannot make sense of what you are trying to work out with this, but no doubt that you should explore setlist more. It is very simple and a short section of the Parameter guide, starting on page 665.
You can see everything set list does, all in 10 pages and 2 of those pages are just 80% white space with little content to read or see.
You will have to go to other parameter guide pages to figure out EXi, karma and tone adjust options that are all accessible from set list mode.
*Accessible from setlist but rooted in program, combi and song modes.*
aellison62

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 12:35 am    Post subject: Midi in combi mode Reply with quote

Thanks 19naia, I might have made my question a bit more complicated than necessary. Quite simply, I am using my Kronos as top board midied to my Kurz Forte as bottom board. 95% of the time I want the Kurz triggering the Kronos, and when I don’t, I have the Kronos on a volume pedal so I can zero volume while playing the Kurz if I don’t want the Kronos sounding also. But I have a combi that I for sure don’t want the Kurz triggering ( sending Midi to) so I thought I could easily shut off the Midi receive on that combi alone. I looked in the 3 Midi pages ( tabs) of the combi and see “ enable” boxes for many things but NOT note receive. I simply want to not have that combi sound when I play the Kurz Forte....but can’t figure out how to do this.
19naia
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 1:46 am    Post subject: Re: Midi in combi mode Reply with quote

aellison62 wrote:
Thanks 19naia, I might have made my question a bit more complicated than necessary. Quite simply, I am using my Kronos as top board midied to my Kurz Forte as bottom board. 95% of the time I want the Kurz triggering the Kronos, and when I don’t, I have the Kronos on a volume pedal so I can zero volume while playing the Kurz if I don’t want the Kronos sounding also. But I have a combi that I for sure don’t want the Kurz triggering ( sending Midi to) so I thought I could easily shut off the Midi receive on that combi alone. I looked in the 3 Midi pages ( tabs) of the combi and see “ enable” boxes for many things but NOT note receive. I simply want to not have that combi sound when I play the Kurz Forte....but can’t figure out how to do this.

Ahh. Now it makes more sense. You do know well what you are doing.
Just a matter to find a way to make it happen.
I am not familiar with Kzuzweil but from what i heard, Kurzweil may have the midi flexibility to cut send to Kronos.

Maybe if you have your Karma modules free on your Kronos combi, you could route the combi timbre midi channels via Karma module midi I/O and use karma on/off or other possible karma features to bring the combi in and out.
I hope you are at least familiar with Karma module setups.

Look into Kurzweil for any ability to quick switch from Omni channel to a specific/isolated channel for midi to External device..
In Kronos, Karma lets you send midi from one channel to multiple different channels, simulating a very limited Omni channel type midi message exchange. Otherwise, Kronos is one channel per global and per track/timbre.

Other workstations without Karma, tend to have an omni channel or omni simulation ability, and hopefully a way to block specific channels rather than simply all channels or one channel, with no inbetween.

I use a midi bridge app with all kinds of bypass and filter options, between iPad synth apps and Kronos. So with the right third party midi management system(which is actually part of what karma is in Kronos), all kinds of midi solutions can be worked out.

I hope you are also asking kurzweil forum members about solution possibilities from the kurzweil device
rpelkie

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2018 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

aellison62 - I have the exact same need. Want to use an external keybaord to send MIDI to my Kronos so as to play Kronos sounds. But want the KRONOS to define when it will receive MIDI and when it will not either via SETLIST SLOT - or COMBI.

Did you ever find a resolution? For those of us on stage - this is critical.
aellison62

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2018 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rpelkie, no, I haven't found a solution yet, but I haven'y had time to explore this suggestion from 19naia...... "Maybe if you have your Karma modules free on your Kronos combi, you could route the combi timbre midi channels via Karma module midi I/O and use karma on/off or other possible karma features to bring the combi in and out."

I think this might have possibility to do what we need. I plan to look at this very soon and see if possible. If you find out it works, let us know please.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: