Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Sampling Loops

View previous topic :: View next topic  
humair

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2018 4:45 pm    Post subject: Sampling Loops Reply with quote

Hello

I am considering purchasing Kross 2 and need to confirm that it can sample beat loops. Also once sampled can you change the tempo of the loop.

Please someone advise.

Thanks
Pa1x - Previously
Pa80 - Previously
i30 - Previously
O1W - Previously
========================
Biggles
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2018 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes.

You select the Program or Combi you want to sample and save to SD card and to a Pad.

Download the manual and see page 93
humair

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2018 3:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I read page 93 but that is only about recording audio.
My question is that if I have a drum loop as a wav file. And I load it into Kross, will it allow me to change the tempo?

As per the manual page 5 item 17 "The speed of audio recorder cannot be controlled"

Shall appreciate some inputs.
Pa1x - Previously
Pa80 - Previously
i30 - Previously
O1W - Previously
========================
voip
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2018 7:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is no mention in the manuals of being able to change the tempo of samples. However, they can be converted into a Program, and used as any other program, albeit over a limited range of keys. This means that the arpeggiator can be used to trigger the samples, and of course arpeggiator tempo can be varied. It makes less sense to loop the samples if used in this way, but this approach is more versatile.
Biggles
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2018 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

humair wrote:
I read page 93 but that is only about recording audio.
My question is that if I have a drum loop as a wav file. And I load it into Kross, will it allow me to change the tempo?

As per the manual page 5 item 17 "The speed of audio recorder cannot be controlled"

Shall appreciate some inputs.

I have just loaded a WAV and it does not allow Tempo change

I then loaded a MIDI file and again after the Kross does its thing I could not change the Tempo.

Maybe the Kross 2 is not the keyboard for your needs?

I also have a PA 700 and that can import a MIDI file and in importing it the Korg converts it into a User Style so I can do what I want with the new Style.
lidserter

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2018 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could save the sample bank as a program. Then create a drumkit (global, drumkit, select an unused user drumkit), select RamS and assign that sample loop to a key. Then all keys below that one will play at lower pitch, at a distance of semitones, by means of adjusting the sample tempo. This is the workaround i use to create my custom "multisamples" and custom playable instruments from external sources.
Regards,
JJ
castorex

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2018 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The answer of your question is simply NO.
The pad section is only a wav player... no effect, no change, nothing... even the volume cannot be changed individually.
It seems tha the Wav part is routed to a usb chip, and not to the Korg DSP.

Only a marketing thing to add functions on the paper... by assembling functions without connections to each others.
Kross is based on a very old Korg technology with some workarounds for a better "new tech" feeling !

Except for basic operations, this is a very complex machine using a eighties logic and IHM.
lidserter

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2018 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://youtu.be/-IPONg6l0oM

In this video I show you how you can sample inside the kross itself, adjust the sample start and end points, adjust the volume, convert the sample to a single multisample stored on the PCM expansion memory, create a user drumkit that uses that multisample and calculates automatically the sounds for the other keys, letting you have a playable instrument from a single multisample. In this case I choosed to work with a rhythmic pattern in order to show you how can you change the tempo of the sample as a side effect of the process, but it applies to every instrument, as shown when I played a little of my realistic choir sound. For more realism you should work with a different sample within 2-3 keys. As any program you can apply effects too and that is shown at the end.

Castorex: actually you CAN adjust the sample volume inside the sampler section itself and there are two ways. The first one let you adjust the overall play volume with the recorded level as maximum level at 127 then scaling down down to 0; select the sample, press edit and there it is at the bottom rightmost corner: Lv. The second method modifies the sample waveform itself: select the sample, Edit, Function, then Normalize/Level Adjust and apply a boost or cut in dB, what is great is that you can process regions of the sample, making this function suitable to adjust beat by beat on a drum pattern by means of changing the start and end edit points.

Best regards,
JJ
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> KORG Kross All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: