Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Portamento in a combi

View previous topic :: View next topic  
rrubino80

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2018 2:25 pm    Post subject: Portamento in a combi Reply with quote

Does anybody know reason why I cannot set the portamento of a specific program in a combi?

I set it different from "PRG", then I save the combi and it seems to work.
But if I change combi and than I come back, the portamento is setted as OFF Confused

I tried also to initialize the combo ...but nothing...when I load the combi the portamento is OFF, and this is for any of program..

WHY? What I'm missing?
THANKS!
Bye
Liviou2004
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2018 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In Combi mode, page 2-2, (Timbre Parameter/OSC), you can set portamento for each chanel :
You can set it to PRG (PRG portamento is kept) or you can set it to OFF or 0...127. (see page 471 parameters Guide)
rrubino80

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2018 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did like you said. The problem is that it seems that the combi is not saved.

I setted portamento for timbre 1 to 55 (different from PRG), but even if I write the combi, when I load the combi the portamento is OFF...
Liviou2004
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2018 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You must "Write Combination". (in the Menu command)
rrubino80

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2018 7:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is what I do, I write combination but it doesn't work.

Please can you see here https://youtu.be/7MfFrs_Q7VY

and let me know If you can help me?

Thanks all...
Liviou2004
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2018 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1°) Yes, I see. What is your Kronos version (1, X or 2) and your firmware version ?

2°) Not all EXi support portamento. Did check that ?

I will try on my Kronos 2.
19naia
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2018 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reverting to “off” every time, is the universal method for “ignoring” a setting.
Nothing ignores a feature like turning off does.
So obviously, Kronos is deliberately working to ignore the feature.

Parameter guide page 460 says, not all EXi support portamento and in such cases, the parameter will be “ignored”.

Check to see if your selected timbres are slotted with programs from Synth engines listed by Parameter Guide as not supported with portamento.

Excerpt parameter guide 460.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Note: not all EXi support portamento, as detailed below; if they do not, then this parameter will be ignored.
AL-1, STR-1, MS-20EX, and MOD-7: portamento is supported
CX-3, PolysixEX, SGX-2, EP-1: portamento is not supported
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

There are similar issues in other parts of kronos, such a saving particular knob settings in SGX. Synth engines basically entail a propietary suite of parameters and features that are used to define the synth engine and its capabilities. No two are exactly alike and that confuses the mind that sees kronos as one synth across the board and under the controls.

Combi is not a synth engine. It is more of a midi control suite like sequencer minus the recording and record data edit parts.
Combi will control programs to an extent if the program parameters themselves feature what combi is fitted to control.
19naia
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2018 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another thing i saw in Midi filters page of Combi, is “Enable Portamento SW”.

Page 466 Parameter guide
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Enable Portamento SW
[Off, On]
Specifies whether or not MIDI CC#65 portamento on/off messages will be transmitted and received.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Not sure all of what this implies, but it reminds me that sometimes a knob and switch can be set to the same Midi #CC where the knob settings will the alter the switch.
So it has me guessing it may be possible that if SW is engage after being set to disable Portamento in the the midi filter, it could block any portamento setting input from other controls or edit cells, and default them to disabled or “off”. And if so, it would do so until the midi filter setting changes to stop the disabled message from overiding all other portamento setting controls or edit cells.

I am not sure what your midi filter settings are, for if you have portamento #CC 65 filterd out via SW engaged.
Not sure if my guess is right but it is something i would explore if the issue did not prove to be a non supported EXi where portamento control in combi is applied.
Liviou2004
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2018 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rrubino80 wrote:

Please can you see here https://youtu.be/7MfFrs_Q7VY

and let me know If you can help me?

Thanks all...

I just tried the same procedure you used, but I works well : each channel kept the setting after selecting another combi and get back.
I ave a Kronos 2 with firmware 3.1.2.

Last edited by Liviou2004 on Fri Aug 31, 2018 9:45 am; edited 2 times in total
AntonySharmman
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2018 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rrubino80 wrote:

This page has code bug in all OS versions , happens to me some times in above "OSC Select" function that it doesn't respond to changes.
Restart Kronos & re-try !

Keyboards : Steinway-D, Kronos X, Pa5X 76, Pa4X 76, Montage M7 , Roland-XV88, Emu3,Emax II,Synclavier II,Yamaha DX Series, ΟΒ-8V
rrubino80

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2018 7:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

HI,

problem solved!! I tried to create a combi from scratch without “copy from program” functionality and now it works!!

So, probably, creating a Combi by using the "Copy From Program" in the Page Menu Commands could cause "erratic behavior".
This beacuse some programs use different resources, controllers, physical controls, etc.
This could be also reason why "OCS select" funtion does not respond to changes..Try creating an initial combi piece by piece, making edits, writing changes and toggling between other Combis after each additional timbre

Thanks to all for support!
AntonySharmman
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2018 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rrubino80 wrote:
So, probably, creating a Combi by using the "Copy From Program" in the Page Menu Commands could cause "erratic behavior".

Nope ... I develop them from scratch , it can happen in all cases for the reason I've mentioned and restarting always resolves it.

Keyboards : Steinway-D, Kronos X, Pa5X 76, Pa4X 76, Montage M7 , Roland-XV88, Emu3,Emax II,Synclavier II,Yamaha DX Series, ΟΒ-8V
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: