Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Using Pa4X in a Live Band
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bernie9

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for the very interesting ways you adapt the Pa4X. As one who uses the Pa4X in a band, as well as solo, I have picked up some very useful hints.

Bernie
Hammond SK1
BR
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

karmathanever wrote:
I am getting serious case of Déjà vu but unrelated to....
BR wrote:
am looking for some suggestions of what would be the best and convenient method to use the Pa4X in a live band with a drummer and a bassist
without using the Styles or simply using the Pa4X like a synthesizer without using styles.
Personally I was thinking to make a Set-List for each song (with song's name) that will include 4 keyboard sets assigned to 4 different sounds.

Now my question is what's the suitable mode among the Style Mode, Song Mode or Sequencer Mode for this project?
And am looking for a way to prevent hitting the Start/Stop button accidentally to not trigger a style while performing with a live drummer and a bassist?

Any suggestion is welcome.

So, any other help for BR??????
+1... Very Happy
AntonySharmman
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2018 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BR wrote:
Result;
When I switch from a keyboard set 1 to keyboard set 2 or whatever, it still cuts off the sound.

Then Style playing or not , is irrelevant and this issue concerns exclusively your sound design & FX routing of every
KBD SET , especially if are transferred from older PaSeries.

In my Pa4X commercial library of over 350 KBD Set combi sounds that are consisting of 3-4 SOUNDs , I can rarely find
one KBD SET that do not have a decent smooth transition , but they were carefully designed for that purpose !
For instance , Kronos is advertised as a smooth sound transition workstation but I can easily disorder it in very complex
Combinations , if I do not pay the proper attention in OSC Amp ADSR & FX routing.

Some of the causes that will disorder smooth sound transition :
- OSC that have abnormal release curve (99) in Amp ADSR
- PEG attack & release large values , especially +99 release !
- not sync LFOs when under QSC high release values
- An over-gained low threshold compressor/limiter
- Reverb FX time over 3 seconds value
- Overdrive FX send to delay FX with large repetitions
- Overdrive by itself was always an issue in all keyboards , try to avoid active notes when changing KBD SET.
- Pitch shift FX and modulators like talking modulator FX can also create issues in transitions.
In general lines PaSeries are not famous for their excellent sound transitions in software level , but it's not
noticeable if required attention in sound modeling and FX routing has been applied.

Hope this helps

Keyboards : Steinway-D, Kronos X, Pa5X 76, Pa4X 76, Montage M7 , Roland-XV88, Emu3,Emax II,Synclavier II,Yamaha DX Series, ΟΒ-8V
BR
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2018 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AntonySharmman wrote:

Then Style playing or not , is irrelevant and this issue concerns exclusively your sound design & FX routing of every
KBD SET , especially if are transferred from older PaSeries.

My style is not playing in this case because I use the Pa4X in a live band with a drummer and a bassist.
I've already completely deleted all data from all style elements, muted all style track and Turned Off all Master Effects and Insert Effects in this style, so nothing
to do with style.
Almost 90% of the sounds I use, are from Factory sound like Strings, Flute, Piano, etc...

Thanks
AntonySharmman
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2018 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We talking about the same thing ... but my observations & tips have as reference only KBD SET SOUNDs & FXs.
No matter of styles , all my KBD Sets (not a single factory sound used) are all with smooth transition ,
for factory KBD SETs maybe other users can confirm that.
If a Style is not playing , then it's not related to abrupt sonic artifacts when selecting a different KBD Set ...
Note : I do not have to mention that you can't sustain a playing note when changing a sound ,
this multi-timbral sound transition is not supported in PaSeries only on Kronos.

Keyboards : Steinway-D, Kronos X, Pa5X 76, Pa4X 76, Montage M7 , Roland-XV88, Emu3,Emax II,Synclavier II,Yamaha DX Series, ΟΒ-8V
BR
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2018 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AntonySharmman wrote:
...Note : I do not have to mention that you can't sustain a playing note when changing a sound ,
this multi-timbral sound transition is not supported in PaSeries only on Kronos.

Thanks Antony for clarifying and confirming this important point about the Pa series.
Randelph
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2019 7:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the pa1000, which for this discussion is functionally identical.

I've had a handful of arrangers over the years, but this is the first one where I actually do use the arranger part of it! Which says alot about the quality of the Styles and Sounds.

However, like you, at times I'm only interested in using sounds, no Styles or rhythyms playing.

It is worthwhile working with Styles for this purpose, 'cause even if you're not using the arranger to create a bass line for you, if you push the Manual Bass button on the panel, then you can play the Styles 3d sound (1st is drums, 2d percussion, 3d is bass, 4-8 are acc 1-5), which means you have a voice available to play your own bass line.

Which means that you can use the panel Balance knob to set the relative volume of your left hand bass playing in relation to what your right hand is doing with the Upper 3 sounds. And it means you've got bass if you want it. With the PA series, Korg only gives you the 3 upper sounds to play with, you don't even have access to the Lower sound (unless its playing when the Split panel button is pushed).

Another thing I've done is to create a Setlist of Songs that are titled
- Piano-
- EPs -
- Organ - etc.
For each of these 'Songs' I've put together 4 of the best Keyboard Setlists for that instrument By putting these 8 'Songs' in a Setlist, I have immediate push button access to pianos, organs, etc. using the panel Setlist buttons.

What I wrote below is wrong:
Another thing that helps is to disable the Global protection of Factory Sounds. Once that is done, you're no longer hindered by the meager number of banks for User Sounds. You simply rename and re-order the Factory Sounds, giving you 16 tabs to organize with instead of only 4. Korg has an absolute numbering of each of the sounds, so that even if a sound is changed, including the name, it can still be found. But of course there's trade-offs no matter which way you choose to categorize and save your favorite Sounds and Styles.

I made some assumptions about the Factory Sounds that were not true. Turns out, after the Global: Media: Factory protect has been unchecked, you CAN delete Factory Sounds from the Factory list, but you cannot move them. Which means I'm back to square one, I'll have to find a way to create a 'Favorites' bank of User Sounds with only 4 tabs to do it with (Sounds 1-4).

So for the time being I'll try to use Factory Sounds and edit with just Style Menu choices, which does provide a lot of customization.

Randy

Last edited by Randelph on Mon Oct 28, 2019 6:02 am; edited 1 time in total
karmathanever
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2019 6:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

YEAH!!!

Great post Randy
I think there may be several owners who aren't aware of the power of STYLE PLAY mode for just sounds (layering etc...etc..)

Pete Very Happy
...and play lots of music Very Happy
------------------------------------------------------------------
Korghelper
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2019 12:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Push comes to shove, if seamless sound transitions are your main thing, you are up against the wall on a Korg arranger without a ton of thinking things through in advance, which isn't really the point of playing with a live band unless you are doing a rehearsed to the nth degree show...

A more practical solution might be to simply use a lightweight second keyboard workstation so you can have more options without tasking the voice switching problems. Alternatively, current Roland arrangers (and their newer WS's) have seamless sound switching and make great live band keyboards. A used BK5 or BK9 might be just the thing to add to your PA4X, as they are light as a feather!

If you are doing pickup work, fill in work, or situations where time is insufficient to carefully plan your sound transitions between each song section's needed sounds (cabaret and show work e.g.), two keyboards are far better than one!
patpsc

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2019 3:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For me, I use the keyboard set in style mode but turn off the split and auto start buttons. In style mode, you can take full advantage of using all of the EFX’s and 4 STS buttons for additional sounds for fast switching sounds during a song performance.
Mitzie

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2019 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In top worship bands I've notices the keys' provide mostly a 'synth pad' to the accompaniment and what the other musicians are playing. Using the entire keyboard and using both hands

The split comes into play for solo-ing melody and counter melodies with the right hand using the other voices and sounds from within the keyboard but invariably with the synth' still playing in the left hand. Pads might be used but generally no auto-accompaniment (Style) is used
Scott
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2019 3:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Korghelper wrote:
if seamless sound transitions are your main thing, you are up against the wall on a Korg arranger without a ton of thinking things through in advance

Not true! I just did this quick example. Song mode. I've got left hand bass going, while switching my right hand sound as desired from the usual sound selection screen, no advance setup. Not only can I hold/sustain a RH sound through the patch change (or even multiple patch changes), but the LH bass sound keeps playing without glitching, too. Not every RH switch will be perfect, sometimes effects can throw it, but it generally works well.

Korghelper
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2019 5:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's kind of the issue. If the sound doesn't NEED an insert effect (or doesn't already have one programmed in) you can get away with it. But if the sound has an insert, things can get ugly. Then you've got the issue of whether there's a change in volume of the Part during the switch (say from a quiet string sound to a louder piano Part, in which case any sustaining string are going to suddenly jump in volume to the new Part's volume!).

The problem with pickup live band work is that you never really know what transitions you are likely to make (bandleader calls a tune, off you go!), you never know what the next tune will be, you never know if you are going to segue to the next tune or stop (and give you time to change without glitches). And arbitrarily restricting yourself to sounds that you know won't glitch restricts your choices.

I've been playing live bands with arrangers since the early 90's. I really like how well balanced the soundsets are compared to many workstations (change from a piano to a synth sound or horn section on a workstation, you often have wild jumps in volume) and that the layout of sound selection is in nice families/groups, unlike many WS's where sounds are shotgunned all over the place. WS's are cool for what they do (I've got Kurzweil's and Korg's, used to have Ensoniq's and Yamaha's amongst others) but live pickup keyboards they are NOT! Unless you've spent a ton of time preparing setups for them, an arranger is by far the better live band keyboard, IMHO.

My solution to the glitch issue has been to try to have all the basic sounds I might need on different Parts ready to go, and switching between Parts rather than Registrations or Performances rarely brings glitches. If you have four or five Keyboard Parts, you have four or five sounds ready to go. A few of those with good sound selection (the typical keyboard sounds for jazz, for rock, for R&B etc.) and you can jump around pretty well. But the glitches, well, if your keyboard does them (as many slightly older WS's did, as well) you just have to grin and bear it!

Pretty much everything boils down to whether the live band you are playing with does setlists in advance, which gives you time to prepare, or is someone just going to throw things against the wall and call stuff on the fly, which puts you in a harder situation. I get a lot more of the latter than the former, these days!
Biggles
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2019 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Korghelper said

The problem with pickup live band work is that you never really know what transitions you are likely to make (bandleader calls a tune, off you go!), you never know what the next tune will be, you never know if you are going to segue to the next tune or stop (and give you time to change without glitches). And arbitrarily restricting yourself to sounds that you know won't glitch restricts your choices.
That seems very amateurish?

Not knowing what comes next that is.

The heart of any PA is using Songbook and Setlists where all the customising has been done off stage and if you are not using these functions then surely you are using the wrong keyboard on stage as it is in this case.
karmathanever
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2019 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would hate to perform live not knowing what I was going to play.
Of course things might change during the gig but by organising your SONGBOOK and SETLISTS you can find any song as fast as your guitarist searches his iPad. Also, if the "bandleader" is announcing the next song being a "surprise" to the band then he/she must expect a short delay whilst the band prepares.
SONGBOOK/SETLISTS feature is simply awesome - couldn't live without it now Very Happy

Pete Very Happy
...and play lots of music Very Happy
------------------------------------------------------------------
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Pa4X All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: