Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Playing RPPR Patterns whilst recording new patter

View previous topic :: View next topic  
SeedyLee
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2018 6:14 pm    Post subject: Playing RPPR Patterns whilst recording new patter Reply with quote

Does anyone know if there's a way to consistently record a new RPPR Pattern whilst playing an existing one? When creating a pattern it's often vital to be able to have other patterns to play along to, but it seems that going into RPPR Edit often (but not always) stops playing RPPRs.

I've managed to get it working a few times, but it's really inconsistent - so was wondering if this functionality is supposed to be supported as it's not mentioned in the manual.

Thanks!
Korg Kronos 2 88, Reface CS, Roland JV-1080, TE OP1, Moog Subsequent 37, Korg ARP Odyssey, Allen & Heath Zed 18, Adam F5, MOTU MIDI Express XT, Lexicon MX200 & MPX1, Yamaha QY700, Yamaha AW16G, Tascam DP008ex, Zoom H6, Organelle, Roland J6 & JU06A

Previous: Triton LE 61/Sampling/64MB/4GB SCSI, MS2000BR, Kronos 1 61, Monotribe, NanoKontrol, NanoKeys, Kaossilator II, Casio HT3000, Roland VP-03, Reface DX, Novation Mininova, MPC One
jeremykeys
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2018 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think I can help you with your problem but I'm wondering just how you set up an RPPR. What I'd like to do, is have the top key E on my K73, play a short fast run with a flute sound. I've got an orchestral combi called up and I'm fooling around with a possible song idea. I'd like to be able to just hit the top key and have it play the run. An a major from root to the fifth on a high octave. I've never ever looked at the RPPR so I'm totally lost here.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Jeremykeys
Gear: Kronos 73, Triton Pro-X, Wavestation EX, Polysix, King Korg, Monotron and Monotron Duo, Minikorg, Moog Grandmother, 1 Roland U-20, Hammond M3, 4 acoustic and 6 electric guitars, 1 Ibanez 5 string bass, a bunch of microphones and other very cool toys, 1 wife and 3 cats!
jeremykeys
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2018 1:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of the things that confuses me, is that in the manual, it says something about creating a new pattern using a drm track, or something to that effect.
Would it be easier for me to just sample the riff I want and have that assigned to a key?
I have to admit that for the last few years all I've done has been to create my own sounds, not get into the nitty gritty of the Kronos and I've forgotten a lot.

All I want is to be able to hit one key and have a short riff play. Hopefully I'll be able to have time to figure it out tomorrow.

Oh what to do when life gets in the way of music!
Gear: Kronos 73, Triton Pro-X, Wavestation EX, Polysix, King Korg, Monotron and Monotron Duo, Minikorg, Moog Grandmother, 1 Roland U-20, Hammond M3, 4 acoustic and 6 electric guitars, 1 Ibanez 5 string bass, a bunch of microphones and other very cool toys, 1 wife and 3 cats!
19naia
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2018 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jeremykeys wrote:
One of the things that confuses me, is that in the manual, it says something about creating a new pattern using a drm track, or something to that effect.
Would it be easier for me to just sample the riff I want and have that assigned to a key?
I have to admit that for the last few years all I've done has been to create my own sounds, not get into the nitty gritty of the Kronos and I've forgotten a lot.

All I want is to be able to hit one key and have a short riff play. Hopefully I'll be able to have time to figure it out tomorrow.

Oh what to do when life gets in the way of music!

Doing it RPPR still ends up needing a sample or synth engine to drive,
just like drum track still has to have drumkit samples to drive. Same with Karma.
RPPR brings a bigger utility advantage over only a Sample.
Limitations with audio editing come into play with a sample, and the advantages of midi sequence editing comes to play with RPPR and drum track.
Drum track and RPPR can exchange midi patterns.
You can set up the pattern in sequencer and have a whole world of sequencer features and editing to use in customizong a drum pattern. And then apply it to RPPR setup and then turn it into a user drum track to use in regular drum track fashion.
Even record Karma or external midi drum patterns into sequencer and put it through RPPR and make it a drum track user-pattern.

Also can make the pattern a sample and still use RPPR or drum track to drive that sample rather than have to manually hold the note in real time to get the sample to play the pattern all the way through.

RPPR and drum track or Karma, still have to have a sample to drive, so you still end up having to work in a sample anyway.
It is up to you if you want to customize a sample to do the pattern with or without the midi utility that drum track or RPPR or Karma bring to the mix.

I hear Audio(sample) route is easiest on the system if you are in a tight crunch for processing power under the hood.
jeremykeys
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2018 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see. I think. I've been fooling around with the RPPR but I seem to think I thought thst the assignable keys were at the top of the keyboard. When I'm in seq mode and tap the RPPR box, I lose some of the bottom keys. I can probably find a workaround but for me having the top key paly the part is more ideal.
As for sampling, wow! I hven't done any of that in a long long time. Gonna have to refresh my memory on that one.

Thanks!
19naia
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2018 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jeremykeys wrote:
I see. I think. I've been fooling around with the RPPR but I seem to think I thought thst the assignable keys were at the top of the keyboard. When I'm in seq mode and tap the RPPR box, I lose some of the bottom keys. I can probably find a workaround but for me having the top key paly the part is more ideal.
As for sampling, wow! I hven't done any of that in a long long time. Gonna have to refresh my memory on that one.

Thanks!

Yeah the loss of the bottom keys in RPPR is a real down side for me.
I prefer to work with the full range of keys available and split it all up into combi zones.
Combi work is a lot harder with nearly 2 octaves of keys dropped out.
Work around for that is probably a second keyboard and using its external sounds.
jeremykeys
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2018 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

19naia wrote:
jeremykeys wrote:

Thanks!

Yeah the loss of the bottom keys in RPPR is a real down side for me.
I prefer to work with the full range of keys available and split it all up into combi zones.
Combi work is a lot harder with nearly 2 octaves of keys dropped out.
Work around for that is probably a second keyboard and using its external sounds.

That and the fact that I'm using a K73. I'd like to just use the one keyboard for this. I might just suck it up and play the flute riff. It would feel awkward having to reach over my left hand to the bottom of the keyboard. But now, thinking about it, I could very easily do it. It's just not how I play these days. I've become a very lazy player. I much prefer to just to the easy road. Crossing hands and showing off how dexterous I am isn't happening much anymore.
Guess I'm just going to have to work a little! Wink
But it'll be worth it!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: