Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Yamaha MODX
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kontrol49
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 4:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Korg should follow suit with a similar Instrument to compete with the MODX,perhaps a Kronos light,they could Ditch the Sequencer/Audio Recording and Karma and make it a performance orientated instrument with all the great sound engines of the Kronos.
Bachus
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 5:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kontrol49 wrote:
Korg should follow suit with a similar Instrument to compete with the MODX,perhaps a Kronos light,they could Ditch the Sequencer/Audio Recording and Karma and make it a performance orientated instrument with all the great sound engines of the Kronos.

This is kind of what they did with the grand stage..

I think with the hardware costs however of what you suggest, `korg cant compete with Yamaha in that price range... kronos still is intel based...
Kontrol49
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bachus wrote:
Kontrol49 wrote:

I think with the hardware costs however of what you suggest, `korg cant compete with Yamaha in that price range... kronos still is intel based...

In some respects......but the GS is pretty much a preset machine,there are no in depth abilities for editing which makes it a paperweight if you wanted to put your own mark on it,Unless Korg create an editor(which I doubt will ever come to fruition)but even then I doubt it would be fully editable.
and the display is disgraceful,it should have far more access to its sound engines parameters especially for the price its essentially a watered down Kronos technology so why can't they make a similar product in the MODX sense

I would have happily Traded my K2 61 and Nord Stage for a Grand Stage if it was similar to the MOdx as I don't use 75% of the Kronos features any longer but the GS is only available as hammer action keybeds,they should have made a 61 Key synth action.

If Korg make a product to compete with the Modx then I would jump on it,I like what I see with the Modx but was waiting to see what Namm 2019 Brings given the age of the Kronos now expect we might see something new to replace Kronos,or at least more filtered down affordable products from its heritage,I think the Workstation as a concept is slowly dying out,and Yamaha have shown there is a market for something like the Modx,time for Korg to follow suit.
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kontrol49 wrote:
Bachus wrote:
Kontrol49 wrote:

In some respects......but the GS is pretty much a preset machine,there are no in depth abilities for editing which makes it a paperweight if you wanted to put your own mark on it,Unless Korg create an editor(which I doubt will ever come to fruition)but even then I doubt it would be fully editable.
and the display is disgraceful,it should have far more access to its sound engines parameters especially for the price its essentially a watered down Kronos technology so why can't they make a similar product in the MODX sense

I would have happily Traded my K2 61 and Nord Stage for a Grand Stage if it was similar to the MOdx as I don't use 75% of the Kronos features any longer but the GS is only available as hammer action keybeds,they should have made a 61 Key synth action.

If Korg make a product to compete with the Modx then I would jump on it,I like what I see with the Modx but was waiting to see what Namm 2019 Brings given the age of the Kronos now expect we might see something new to replace Kronos,or at least more filtered down affordable products from its heritage,I think the Workstation as a concept is slowly dying out,and Yamaha have shown there is a market for something like the Modx,time for Korg to follow suit.

This is another reason I like the MODX. Its strong enough, inexpensive, and gives the gigging keyboardist an excellent alternative to what ever Korg currently offers. I think this motivates Korg to get moving on interesting new performing synths, W/s. In addition, Korg is now financially motivated to get innovative yesterday vs next year( 2019 NAMM) or 2020.

I am sure Korg had plenty of notice that MODX was on the way. I read that Korg and Yamaha shares new product information. Friendly competitors.
Kontrol49
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
This is another reason I like the MODX. Its strong enough, inexpensive, and gives the gigging keyboardist an excellent alternative to what ever Korg currently offers. I think this motivates Korg to get moving on interesting new performing synths, W/s. In addition, Korg is now financially motivated to get innovative yesterday vs next year( 2019 NAMM) or 2020.

My thoughts exactly,I love the sounds on the Kronos but would like to see a more affordable slimmed down portable pure performance Synthesizer version more suited for the Gigging musos of us,keep all that Kronos has except the Audio/Sequencer/Karma Technology,most of the technology inside Kronos gets in the way of a fantastic Instrument otherwise.

Kronos is out of reach financially to most people even many years after its launch,much like the Oasys was back in the day,they then made a more affordable option in the Kronos for the common man,so its about time there was a performance orientated Version,without all the baggage of a workstation.
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Kontrol49"]
Quote:

Kronos is out of reach financially to most people even many years after its launch,much like the Oasys was back in the day,they then made a more affordable option in the Kronos for the common man,so its about time there was a performance orientated Version,without all the baggage of a workstation.

I didn't mind the Kronos cost 7 yrs ago, since it replaced 3 other boards back then.

For the past few yrs, I have asserted that Korg should be reducing the price of the K2 but obviously their president does not agree Wink

Now with the MODX, if I was forced into a choice, today, between the K2 and the MODX I would lean towards MODX assuming it has a DAW mode. And that I was ok with its midi implementation. The cost difference between the 2 is huge and that is a major consideration.
Bachus
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kontrol49 wrote:
Quote:

My thoughts exactly,I love the sounds on the Kronos but would like to see a more affordable slimmed down portable pure performance Synthesizer version more suited for the Gigging musos of us,keep all that Kronos has except the Audio/Sequencer/Karma Technology,most of the technology inside Kronos gets in the way of a fantastic Instrument otherwise.

You can get a used kronos 88(first series) for less then a new modx8..
I think most people can afford a used kronos....
Broadwave
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2018 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

At my age, I'm not too sure about investing more time learning the ins and outs of another complex synth.

I like the idea of the ModX, but in all honesty, I'm more than happy with the Kronos/Kontakt combination that I've settled on and I don't think the ModX would really add anything new.
shefu

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2018 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am really digging this synth, a lot more than I did Montage.

Montage suffers from a bloat of functions that someone such as myself doesn't need. MODX is basically the 2 synth engines, boom....done deal.
Devnor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2018 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have no interest in programming FM, its in my Kronos never used unless its in someone else's preset. My primary interest in Montage and now MODX has been the envelope follower and audio input tempo control for live use. Will arps, lfo and delays sync to a live drummer?
Kronos2ison

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2018 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It will be very interesting what Korg does in reaction. The modx is definitely a King Korg killer. I may just buy a modx if it hits $999. I've been playing a Kronos for years but honestly feel Modx + Kontakt could please a lot of people.
Bachus
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2018 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kronos2ison wrote:
It will be very interesting what Korg does in reaction. The modx is definitely a King Korg killer. I may just buy a modx if it hits $999. I've been playing a Kronos for years but honestly feel Modx + Kontakt could please a lot of people.

King korg killer? Atleast the king korg has a non generic interface going for it..

I think it will kill any other digital synth like fa, jp80, kross, krome, all kurzweils, all casio’s..

Combine the moxd with an ipad and you have a complete mobile travel set... to live out your creativity..

But va synths like king kg, noed lead, access virus have their own position
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2018 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bachus wrote:
Kronos2ison wrote:

King korg killer? Atleast the king korg has a non generic interface going for it..

I think it will kill any other digital synth like fa, jp80, kross, krome, all kurzweils, all casio’s..

Combine the moxd with an ipad and you have a complete mobile travel set... to live out your creativity..

I would go 1 step further.

While there are several differences between the K2 and MODX, I would take the MODX, assuming I was in the market for the choice.

I don't believe K2 owners will sell their boards. The satisfaction runs high.

As I stated before, Yamaha has shook things up with the MODX and the price/value is huge.

Korg likely knew in advance that serious competition for the keyboard players budget/$ was on the way.
Scott
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2018 2:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vadim wrote:
mod wheels in that awkward place...can’t fit it half way under studio desk, gotta have it all the way out Sad
Has to be out for access to the sliders, knobs, and touchscreen anyway.

Jan1 wrote:
I wish it had at least a basic editable sequencer, but somehow Yamaha feels differently.
I think the appeal of a built in editable sequencer is disappearing. DAWs even on an iPad are usually a better way to go.

Jan1 wrote:
I think that with the release of the MODX the next Montage is not far off.
I don't know about that... scaled down models have not necessarily meant upgraded flagships were imminent. There was a good deal of time from the MOXF (scaled down XF in 2013) to the Montage (2016).

Bachus wrote:
Kontrol49 wrote:

Grandstage would have been a lot cooler if you could load Kronos-created programs into it, even if only ones from some of its engines.

shefu wrote:
Montage suffers from a bloat of functions that someone such as myself doesn't need. MODX is basically the 2 synth engines, boom....done deal.
MODX uses scaled down versions of the same 2 synth engines as the Montage (i.e. all the same sounds, but less polyphony, fewer simultaneous effects, etc.). Curious what bloat functions you're talking about, that you found to unnecessarily over-complicate the Montage. Though obviously, there are fewer buttons, knobs, and sliders on the MODX.

Kronos2ison wrote:
The modx is definitely a King Korg killer.
More of a Krome killer, I think. Really barely overlaps the King Korg at all. KK is a virtual analog synth (with a handful of rompler sounds). MODX is not a virtual analog synth at all. KK has all the different emulated filter and oscillator types, the tube, dedicated knob style interface... Yamaha's makes nothing like that. The closest thing it's got is probably the Reface CS. Wink Though of course, the KK also doesn't do much of anything that the MODX does, either.

Bachus wrote:
FA still has a number of advantages... sequencer, trigger pads, clonewheel engine, VA synth engine, assignable out. I'd choose the MODX, but someone with different needs (or different/no second board to pair with it) could conceivably prefer FA. JP80 is already discontinued. Kross 2 is at different price point (and has pads and sequencer). Krome looks pretty beat, definitely due for a facellift. Kurzweils have the clonewheel and VA synth functions, and SP6 is way cheaper than MODX8. Casios are generally lower priced, and tend to have some pretty different features (many have built-in speakers, for example). So I don't think sales of these others are going to die. But yeah, MODX looks great. In terms of the sub-$2k market, I think maybe the touchscreen interface will be the most immediately noticeable new thing that the MOXF didn't have. I think they also really got the look of the board right, and caught up to Roland, Kurzweil, and Casio in addressing seamless sound transitions (where Korg still lags in Kross/Krome). Having a 76 helps too.
Bachus
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2018 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GregC wrote:
Bachus wrote:
Kronos2ison wrote:

I would go 1 step further.

While there are several differences between the K2 and MODX, I would take the MODX, assuming I was in the market for the choice.

I don't believe K2 owners will sell their boards. The satisfaction runs high.

As I stated before, Yamaha has shook things up with the MODX and the price/value is huge.

Korg likely knew in advance that serious competition for the keyboard players budget/$ was on the way.

I picked up my ordered modx6 today..
Hook it up to my ipad, with beatmaker 3, audiobus, gadget and many more synth/sound apps..

This little setup is incredible..
For being creative..
And even for performing...

Where kronos is mostly about whats in the box..
This is all about thinking out of the box..
The ipad turns the modx in a fullfledged workstation
Much userfriendly then the kronos
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Latest News All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6

Jump to: