Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Oasys sound better than Kronos?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
matro

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2018 5:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rbox wrote:
matro wrote:
I have a lot of different boards from different vendors, I know where you are coming from. To me it is all about being able to create the sounds I "hear in my head" AND, very important, inspire me with presets, expansion, etc.
The new MODX is a scaled down Montage and is seems that the focus during the introduction is on the FM-X engine, which is a cool engine to be honest in particular since you with ease can layer 4,6,8 of them. MOD-7 is a more flexible engine, though...

I have come to learn that most keyboard players are preset users. Minimal tweaking. The board can be very competent and deep, they couldn't care less.

Mod-7 was one big Dissapiontment in my Oasys because it sounds very thin and dry it doesent have the full and warm Sound of an Yamaha Sy77/99 . Its in Theory very flexibel but the results doesent sound right to my ears. The Waveshaper sounds too distorted and harsh. Mod-7 has no Sweepspot in his Soundcharacter sorry to say that...no color , no nice Textur.

Well, I recently sold my 77... I do own a Montage too though.
The thing with Mod7 for me is the flexibility and uniqueness of that engine. But obviously it isn't for you.
Mike Conway
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2018 6:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

marc1 wrote:
And having to pay half this price for a Kronos 88 6 years after Oasys is still quite something albeit dissapointing for all the Oasys owners. But then again that's the way all things technological seem to be headed.

The way I look at it is that Korg didn't abandon the platform, but rather continued it with the Kronos. I'm happy as a clam about that! I prefer that, as opposed to having a Fantom G for one generation, and then having to change my workflow with whatever comes next.

rbox wrote:
Mod-7 was one big Dissapiontment in my Oasys because it sounds very thin and dry it doesent have the full and warm Sound of an Yamaha Sy77/99

I find MOD-7 to generally have a more "clean" sound. I made a short video comparison of the SY99 and MOD-7:

Liviou2004 wrote:

This thread is about Oasys / Kronos comparison !! (not about SY77-99 / MOD-7 !)
Why don't you open a thread about it ? It'd be interesting.

I think it's a moot point, as Kronos sounds stellar and offers more features.

I would like to see a MOD-7 thread at a later date, but am busy on a project for now. I don't have time for that huge of a discussion, so sorry about the brief segue! Face palm Laughing Brick wall
Liviou2004
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2018 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Mike,

A very good test wich definitely clear that question.

I must add that in the 90's, the DAC where less efficient than now. Today, the spectrums are larger. That's why a 90's digital synth seems to be warmer. In fact, it is not warmer, its DAC doesn't reproduce a so full spectrum range than the Oasys or the Kronos.
(For instance : Sooner, the first DX-7 got a 12 bit encoder so that thje sound had a low S/N ratio. So, if we wanted to reproduce a real DX7 I sound in the Oasys on in the Kronos, we should consider to add a bit crusher lmike Decimator).

I suppose its easy with Oasys or Kronos, to reproduce this spectrum limitation (some effects or EQ could do that).
What do you think Mike ?
timbukktwo

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2018 12:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For the most part, a bit of the answer is in a thread in the Korg Oasys section:

Oasys vs. Kronos: sound quality (11 pages)
StephenKay
KARMA Developer
Approved Merchant
KARMA Developer<br>Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2018 6:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I may be a bit late to the discussion, but I extensively A/B'd the OASYS and Kronos at many times and never was able to hear any difference whatsoever. I would often do this when taking a sound set made for one synth and porting it to the other. I would then compare the patches on the one synth with the other, carefully matching levels etc. No difference. Some people may want to think "what cost 2 times or 3 times a Kronos must somehow be better" - but in reality, the OASYS days was a different time and a different keyboard. New technology - which always comes down in price with subsequent variations. Take it for what it's worth.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: