Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What is aftertouch

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Thepoliskey

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 2:59 pm    Post subject: What is aftertouch Reply with quote

Hi,

Can anyone give me a good example of program/combi where aftertouch is easy to hear please? It looks like it's some obvious feature but I don't understand how to use it, neither hear any difference.
19naia
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It’s like the kiss that you saw coming, but then she held it there and pressed it in for a second kiss all mixed in withthe first, for deeper feeling to be expressed after the first press of the kiss.

But this one, Aftertouch, you do with your fingers on the keys. Normal press of the keys for sound, and then press it in harder, after the first touch, so as to get a second response.
The aftertouch is assignable to many parameters so that the effect it gives is whatever you program it to be.

Also, aftertouch on Kronos is reputedly very hard pressed, not anywhere near as soft as a kiss.
Some people say that it is so hard to get the aftertouch press to respond, that if it were a kiss, it would knock some teeth out.
Broadwave
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

19naia wrote:

Some people say that it is so hard to get the aftertouch press to respond, that if it were a kiss, it would knock some teeth out.

Laughing Laughing Laughing

I'm currently looking at a way of easing the kiss of death... I think just raising the resistive strip a tad might just do it (that's what I did on my old Fantom X) I'll let you know.
Sam CA
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

19naia wrote:
It’s like the kiss that you saw coming, but then she held it there and pressed it in for a second kiss all mixed in withthe first, for deeper feeling to be expressed after the first press of the kiss....

Now I understand Aftertouch...finally!

Thepoliskey

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

19naia wrote:
It’s like the kiss that you saw coming, but then she held it there and pressed it in for a second kiss all mixed in withthe first, for deeper feeling to be expressed after the first press of the kiss.

Very good explanation, thank you 👍😂
However, from my experience with kissing aftertouch, I always get some kind of response. But with my Kronos nothing - I'm starting to be afraid she is frigid😨
And now seriously - is it that I hit the key and press it even more? Or some slight release?
Also I suppose not every program use this setting - I found that in some cases it might be set to 0 all very low value. That's why my question about specific program as I might overlook some settings and keep trying on wrong program.
Btw: I'm newbie😛
19naia
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thepoliskey wrote:
19naia wrote:

Very good explanation, thank you 👍😂
However, from my experience with kissing aftertouch, I always get some kind of response. But with my Kronos nothing - I'm starting to be afraid she is frigid😨
And now seriously - is it that I hit the key and press it even more? Or some slight release?
Also I suppose not every program use this setting - I found that in some cases it might be set to 0 all very low value. That's why my question about specific program as I might overlook some settings and keep trying on wrong program.
Btw: I'm newbie😛

It is not easy to get Aftertouch response on Kronos. There is Global mode setting to increase the sensitivity ,and if used with AMS, there can be adjustable values in the AMS setup and those values grade the response of the selected parameter to Aftertouch.

There are people around who have gotten better out of kronos aftertouch, but i cannot recall their methods or story.
Its not you or newbie factor that makes aftertouch respose difficult for you. It is kronos.
I suspect acoustic piano players would have it easier with aftertouch because of fingers conditioned to the heavy weighted keys.
I am a weighted key player but don’t really give much thought to aftertouch.
KK
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Thepoliskey,

Strangely the Kronos offers very few programs with decent aftertouch (AT) programming. Search and try FunKey Lead on your unit.

The aftertouch is indeed a weak point on the Kronos because of a couple of hardware things. I designed a mod to improve AT on mine but it is not for everyone and involves adding a tiny circuit and a potentiometer.
Thepoliskey

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you guys for tips, I'll try to test it. I'm not sure even if it's necessary to me but always better to know what are the possibilities.
Liviou2004
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Indeed, the A.T. on the Kronos is very hard.
But it can be softened a bit with : a good calibration (Global Mode - Page Menu Command) and an Aftertouch Curve set on 4 or 5 (Global mode, page 0-1 Basic Setup).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: