Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

how to keep the microphone level with and without harmony?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
johnsmies
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 1:22 pm    Post subject: how to keep the microphone level with and without harmony? Reply with quote

As I basically use the PA1000 as a backing to my vocal efforts I find it annoying to see that the volume level between singing with or without harmony is substantially different. Allow me to explain.
And yes I know that the amount of harmony can be set with one of the assignable sliders. However if you choose FULL harmony , that is you want the harmony to be heard properly and then de-activate the harmony/double button the single voice volume is lower and hence does not come out right in the mix. Either that or when the single voice comes out okay the harmony level, when engaged, will be too loud in the mix..
Any suggestions ?

John
Reuben
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2018 3:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe one of the settings is wrong - not sure.
Hold down Shift and Mic buttons, go to Mic Tone Tab and check settings.
I have Lead level at 0 at the top, and the Gate settings at -3 for Lead and -5 for Harmony Attenuation on my Pa3x.
johnsmies
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2018 7:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reuben wrote:
I have Lead level at 0 at the top, and the Gate settings at -3 for Lead and -5 for Harmony Attenuation on my Pa3x.

Thanks Reuben but unfortunately the PA1000 does not sport a Harmony Attenuation and that is exactly where the problem lies in as far as I can determine. The Harmony level can be controlled by one assignable knob but this determines the AMOUNT of harmony and not the LEVEL. In other words if I turn this back to the 12 o'clock position the overall volume level ( with harmony activated) is about level with the overall volume level of the voice without harmony , but most of the harmonies can only be heard vaguely.
Then crancking up the harmony to full you do get to hear the harmonies properly but at a volume level that is proportionally too high in regards to the volume level without the harmony. You can well imagine how it complicates recording a song while singing and e.g. verses without harmony and choruses in the song with harmony......

regards,
John
duby2
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2018 12:58 pm    Post subject: apps Reply with quote

johnsmies

I do not unstand ,,

but try this , you have nothing to lose

try turn off the

Gate and or the compressor
and then I would use a dbu meter to check it ,,
just donwload the apps..

i went in and change all the level of the presets.now what ever preset i pick , i do not have to touch the assignable volume ...
duby2
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2018 8:50 pm    Post subject: johnsmies Reply with quote

johnsmies

Have you had time to try Gate and or the compressor and did it help or not ..
Smile
johnsmies
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2018 7:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Afraid not Duby, struggling with some health issues, so that is for later.
But thanks for your suggestions, much appreciated.
John
DonM
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2018 1:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not totally related, but...
I just received the PA1000 this afternoon and I discovered a feature I've wanted for a LONG time.
You can assign the Harmony Volume to the programmable foot switch, and when you depress it, the vocal harmony is on, and release it it is off. I love that. Used to have it on an old outboard vocal harmonizer years ago.
The foot switch I'm using is FS 5-U.
John, I will investigate the situation you asked about when I get a little time.
Doesn't seem to be happening with me.
You can go to Menu, Voice Preset, and adjust the volume of the harmonizer there. You might check that out.
I noticed that the mic light has been reversed. In previous models when the light was on the mic was on. Now there seems to be a MUTE button and when it is OFF the mic is on. WHY??? Smile
There are a lot of subtle differences in the PA4X and PA900 and this new model. But that's to be expected isn't it?
DonM
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2018 5:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

johnsmies wrote:
Reuben wrote:

Thanks Reuben but unfortunately the PA1000 does not sport a Harmony Attenuation and that is exactly where the problem lies in as far as I can determine. The Harmony level can be controlled by one assignable knob but this determines the AMOUNT of harmony and not the LEVEL. In other words if I turn this back to the 12 o'clock position the overall volume level ( with harmony activated) is about level with the overall volume level of the voice without harmony , but most of the harmonies can only be heard vaguely.
Then crancking up the harmony to full you do get to hear the harmonies properly but at a volume level that is proportionally too high in regards to the volume level without the harmony. You can well imagine how it complicates recording a song while singing and e.g. verses without harmony and choruses in the song with harmony......

regards,
John

I've been adjusting the vocals and harmonizer for about four hours and finally got it sounding good, at least through headphones.
I went into the Voice Preset menu, picked the setting I wanted, A Third Above, then edited it to turn DOWN the harmonizer level, move the gender to more of a girl voice and maybe a couple of other things.
I think that is the key. It's the only place I found to attenuate the harmony voices. You can edit them quite deeply there.
Hope this helps!
duby2
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2018 2:07 pm    Post subject: donm Reply with quote

DonM

Harmony Volume to the programmable foot switch, and when you depress it, the vocal harmony is on, and release it it is off.

I use a volume controller pedal ..
this has been on you pa4x and pa3x and I remember this on my pa800 .
duby2
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2018 2:09 pm    Post subject: donm Reply with quote

DonM

Harmony Volume to the programmable foot switch, and when you depress it, the vocal harmony is on, and release it it is off.

DonM
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2018 3:17 pm    Post subject: Re: donm Reply with quote

duby2 wrote:
DonM

Maybe so. In previous models there was a "Vocal Harmony On/Off setting available and that's what I used. Maybe I overlooked this.
Thanks.
jackgorman

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2019 6:51 pm    Post subject: saving harmony volume pa1000 Reply with quote

Using a korg footswitch to toggle harmonies on, I have not found a way to save the volumes level of the harmony when I turn the unit off.
I set the harmony volume to -10 in the mic settings and tried saving it in 'my settings' but it returns to 0 when I power off.
Any ideas??????
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg PA1000/PA700 All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: