Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

[Help] Unbrick Korg Kross 2
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fususu

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2018 9:29 am    Post subject: [Help] Unbrick Korg Kross 2 Reply with quote

Hi, I seem to have bricked my Korg Kross 2 trying to update it, and I can't seem to unbrick it, when I power it up, it keeps getting stuck at "Korg Kross" screen no matter what. I've tried to re-initialize it according to the operation manual troubleshooting but it doesn't works at all.

I also discovered that if you hold [removed] while powering up, and then you plug the synth by USB to a PC, it triggers USB Storage Mode, and you can see and copy the files from the synth in your PC. I'd like if someone could try this with his/her Kross 2 and send me the files if possible, so I can copy them and try if this unbricks my synth... The most important file seems to be KROSAPP.BIN, since when I delete it and boot the synth up, it says something like "loading app failed". I've tried to search for it but I don't find anywhere... so my only hope is that someone with this synth can do me the favor to send me those files... I hope that really fixes the brick.

Any suggestions and help are really appreciated.

Last edited by Fususu on Sun Sep 23, 2018 7:07 am; edited 5 times in total
voip
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2018 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If there is an SD card in the system, remove it and try rebooting again. A corrupt SD card can cause problems.

If that doesn't do it, then try a Kross system initialise: with the Kross powered off, hold down the Exit and Function buttons, and turn on the Kross.

The preload data will need to be restored after this.
Fususu

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2018 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

voip wrote:
If there is an SD card in the system, remove it and try rebooting again. A corrupt SD card can cause problems.

If that doesn't do it, then try a Kross system initialise: with the Kross powered off, hold down the Exit and Function buttons, and turn on the Kross.

The preload data will need to be restored after this.

Unfortunately I've tried already booting without SD and also the initializing procedure without any luck Sad I keep getting stuck at "Korg KROSS" screen. I also tried to format all the internal data with [removed combination] (which is not documented in the manual, also the USB Storage Mode which I've mentioned before as well) and it only empties the internal data and gives "Loading file filed..." or something like that (that seems to happen when krossapp.bin is not in the internal storage, I've tested this a few times).

That's the reason why I'm looking for someone who would kindly share a backup of the internal storage in USB Storage Mode... I hope that really fixes this problem... Sad

Still open to any suggestions tho.

Last edited by Fususu on Thu Sep 27, 2018 9:04 pm; edited 3 times in total
musiccankill
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2018 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How have you managed to brick it?
What has gone wrong?

Korg keyboards owned now: PA5X 61 ,PA300, Triton extreme 61, Korg 707, Trinity plus
Fususu

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2018 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

musiccankill wrote:
What has gone wrong?

I messed up and put the files of the Kross 1 instead of Kross 2 by mistake and tried to update. The update process failed and it didn't get completed actually (it said so on the screen after trying to update, progress went up to 97% and then that message popped up in the screen). The synth worked still and I was able to play it, but then when I powered it off and powered it on, then the brick happened.
musiccankill
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2018 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh i see!
They should have made the system distinguish which files are for each one..
Except if you tried to alter the files so it will load it..!
I think that by forum rules you should remove the keys you mention here as they are for service centers only.
I will try to get the files for you and inform you with pm if i manage to do it but it ll have to wait till monday when i ll be able to have access to a kross 2..!

Korg keyboards owned now: PA5X 61 ,PA300, Triton extreme 61, Korg 707, Trinity plus
Fususu

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2018 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

musiccankill wrote:
Oh i see!
They should have made the system distinguish which files are for each one..
Except if you tried to alter the files so it will load it..!
I think that by forum rules you should remove the keys you mention here as they are for service centers only.
I will try to get the files for you and inform you with pm if i manage to do it but it ll have to wait till monday when i ll be able to have access to a kross 2..!

I didn't do anything outside of the normal process but I really didn't know there was a kross 1, anyways it was my total bad Crying or Very sad

That would be a huge help if you could send me a back up of the internal storage! I really hope that fixes my problem. I'll remove those key combinations just in case although I didn't find anything specified about posting service keys, if you need them in order to do the backup tell me and I'll pm you with them!
alfredokiwi

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2018 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fususu wrote:
musiccankill wrote:
What has gone wrong?

I messed up and put the files of the Kross 1 instead of Kross 2 by mistake and tried to update. The update process failed and it didn't get completed actually (it said so on the screen after trying to update, progress went up to 97% and then that message popped up in the screen). The synth worked still and I was able to play it, but then when I powered it off and powered it on, then the brick happened.

Is a total failure what happened because Korg programmers don't followed software compliance rules on firmware programming.

If another OS firmware can be loaded on the update process there is no verification of the files version before proceeding to the update process meaning that garbage files will destroy the Kross 2 on every update process.

If the synth is under warranty Korg repair services should provide for a new mainboard replacement.

www.facebook.com/alfredokiwi

www.alfredoblogspage.blogspot.com.ar

Last edited by alfredokiwi on Thu Sep 27, 2018 10:33 am; edited 1 time in total
castorex

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2018 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do not understand how you had successed in flashing a Kross 1 firmware on a kross 2. it seems impossible:
- folders have different name (KROSSSYS vs. KROSS2SY): the boot process of the Kross cannot find the right folder and cannot flash it
- the number and types of files to flash are different
- even the file size for the file with similar name is different
and all flashing system uses a checking process before flashing !

So I cannot believe on second you have flashed a Kross 1 firmware on Kross 2.
But perhaps you had flashed a Kross 2 firmware V1.0 on Kross 2 with a V1.1 firmware... which could be bad.

Korg Ingineers are not stupid and (aven if this is the case) a Korg repair services could repair your unit, but not for free !
alfredokiwi

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2018 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

castorex wrote:
I do not understand how you had successed in flashing a Kross 1 firmware on a kross 2. it seems impossible:
- folders have different name (KROSSSYS vs. KROSS2SY): the boot process of the Kross cannot find the right folder and cannot flash it

But perhaps you had flashed a Kross 2 firmware V1.0 on Kross 2 with a V1.1 firmware... which could be bad.

Korg Ingineers are not stupid and (aven if this is the case) a Korg repair services could repair your unit, but not for free !

Rolling back from V1.1 to V1.0 is not the problem. The lack of programming compliance rules for firmware upgrade is the root cause.

www.facebook.com/alfredokiwi

www.alfredoblogspage.blogspot.com.ar
castorex

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2018 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No I don't believe this is the right explanation: This is technically impossible, except by forcing the process (by renaming folder, changing file name, etc.).

I want to know exaclty what this guy has done... step by step.
And why he asks here instead of running to its shop or to a Kork repair center Wink Rolling Eyes Twisted Evil
musiccankill
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2018 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The system CAN be restored the way he is thinking most probably as the boot "image" seems to be ok!
I will have the files tomorrow most probably.Had a lot of work this week and hadn't managed to do it...

castorex

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2018 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KROSSAPP.BIN is the binary OS under copyright, the assembled ARM instructions which makes the core of Korg Edsi engine...

I am also interested in this file and let' go to [ur=http://shell-storm.org/online/Online-Assembler-and-Disassembler/l]http://shell-storm.org/online/Online-Assembler-and-Disassembler/[/url]
Wink
musiccankill
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2018 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

castorex wrote:
KROSSAPP.BIN is the binary OS under copyright, the assembled ARM instructions which makes the core of Korg Edsi engine...

I am also interested in this file and let' go to [ur=http://shell-storm.org/online/Online-Assembler-and-Disassembler/l]http://shell-storm.org/online/Online-Assembler-and-Disassembler/[/url]
Wink
\

What you propose here to do is ILLEGAL and against the forum rules.

Fususu

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2018 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

castorex wrote:

I actually told that went up to 97% update and it gave a failure in the update and couldn't update, but still at reboot got bricked. I didn't put the folder, just the files at the root of SD. I can understand that you say that i'm lying but i'm providing every single step I followed...

I believe that this issue is repetible with the things I'm saying.

EDIT: Just to clarify, I don't think any of this is an issue from korg, I admit my total fault.

Also i'm not running to a korg center because i'm sure this is software side... I can't afford to pay a repair and i'm trying to ask for help to repair this, if is not allowed it's ok but don't treat me like i'm committing any fraud or illegal activity. Btw I contacted support just in case they could provide direct help but they told me to go to an official support center.

EDIT2: I can get a video evidence of how the brick occurs right now, and I have actually a backup of my corrupted files from korg kross2, I do not intend any modification or reverse engineering of the synth, if you need some other proof ask for it and maybe I can deliver it to you...

Last edited by Fususu on Thu Sep 27, 2018 8:40 pm; edited 4 times in total
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> KORG Kross All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: