Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

[Help] Unbrick Korg Kross 2
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Biggles
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2018 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can you try downloading the lastest Firmware again.

Extract it to an SD card

Boot up the Kross using the SD card to reinstall the update.

Then report back what happens.
alfredokiwi

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2018 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

castorex wrote:
I do not understand how you had successed in flashing a Kross 1 firmware on a kross 2. it seems impossible:
- folders have different name (KROSSSYS vs. KROSS2SY): the boot process of the Kross cannot find the right folder and cannot flash it
- the number and types of files to flash are different
- even the file size for the file with similar name is different
and all flashing system uses a checking process before flashing !

So I cannot believe on second you have flashed a Kross 1 firmware on Kross 2.
But perhaps you had flashed a Kross 2 firmware V1.0 on Kross 2 with a V1.1 firmware... which could be bad.

Korg Ingineers are not stupid and (aven if this is the case) a Korg repair services could repair your unit, but not for free !

In the case of firmware upgrade failure any device should have a "alternative bootloader" code is a sort of "emergency boot code" to allow the re write of the firmware code in case of failures. The problem on Kross and Kross2 is the not compliance following such rules.

www.facebook.com/alfredokiwi

www.alfredoblogspage.blogspot.com.ar
Fususu

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2018 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Biggles wrote:
Can you try downloading the lastest Firmware again.

Extract it to an SD card

Boot up the Kross using the SD card to reinstall the update.

Then report back what happens.

I've tried this but the brick remains without change at all, but thanks for your suggestion still.

-

alfredokiwi wrote:
In the case of firmware upgrade failure any device should have a "alternative bootloader" code is a sort of "emergency boot code" to allow the re write of the firmware code in case of failures. The problem on Kross and Kross2 is the not compliance following such rules.

About the bootloader, I believe mine is fine but the thing I can't understand is why the normal procedure to rewrite memory doesn't work (the one on the manual in troubleshooting section), only service key combinations seem to work. So probably that procedure of that key combination is not on the bootloader and also probably is not for the purpose of reestablish the entire internal memory.

Still I didn't expect this legal stuff discusion at all, so I'll try to reach a "nearby" korg support center this weekend to tell me how much would cost, or if is that easy to fix that would be free of charge or at least not that expensive. Also my Kross2 is actually a second hand gift from a friend that didn't use it anymore, which was another reason why I didn't decide to go directly there since I don't have an actual proof of purchase.

I'll keep everyone updated in case anyone experiences the same brick.
castorex

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2018 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If what you say is true... and I am sure it is true... don't touch anything and use your warranty. You have the bill ? Even if it is a second hand... so contact the shop !
I suppose you have a legal warranty in your country. In Europe we have two years of legal warranty for example... first hand or not. The problem appears for extented warranty only (the korg third year) which is a contract.

I am not sure copying the file APP.BIN works... but you can be sure that this action will cancel the warranty !
I think Kross uses a NOR flash component and not a NAND flash for the system. And the CPU can address directly this memory (as standart RAM), so all system files are certainly stored in a specific and fixed location not the same as in a usual disk device.

So be careful and try all the legal things before other solutions (last option before the trash).
Fususu

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2018 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi again everybody.

I got it finally to a korg support center in my country and they fixed it. Seems the internal memory was corrupted for some reason and they reestablished the files, so it was totally a software issue and they didn't have to make any motherboard replacement or anything like that.

Thanks everyone for the help and suggestions!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> KORG Kross All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: