Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Comparing the feel of a new RH3 to one that's well played

View previous topic :: View next topic  
DeltaJockey

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2018 11:57 am    Post subject: Comparing the feel of a new RH3 to one that's well played Reply with quote

I know there are a lot of subjective impressions of the RH3 keybed, the pros and cons etc. And from the comments I've read over the years it would appear that there is even variability in the "feel" of one over another of the same age. What I have experienced is the change in feel over time of a keybed from new to having some use.....and worn not necessarily in a bad way. It seems to me that when new, the felts are a little more squishy, and as the keys hammer against the felts, they seem to develop some permanent compression, making the keys hit a little harder. I noticed this when taking delivery of my second Kronos and initially didn't like the keybed as much as my old one. Do they naturally have some sort of "run in" time, because I like the response of the keys best after some considerable use. I ways thought it was me getting used to a particular keybed, but now that I have been able to compare I think it's changes that occur. Maybe compressing felts is an obvious mechanical change, but I've never been able to compare before.
Anybody notice this change, or agree with the possible explanation?
19naia
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2018 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just when i thought owning one Kronos got me in the big boys club, i find i need not apply to the club that gathers around owning multiple Kronos.

Been thinking about a second one, including thoughts of if i really want to endure the cost of it when i still am short on all the other hardware i want to have with the Kronos i already own.

For myself, a second kronos would be for having one in each of two continents, and maybe even a third for the third continent.
I travel with too much luggage as it is already, and cannot imagine hauling around one Kronos everywhere i go.

For now, i own just one Kronos and am far flung from it while it is stored in my home country and i am staying in another country.
Stil not sure what to do and so i do nothing but wait until the answer finds me.

Have no clue here what it feels like to have two kronos under my fingers. Sure would feel nice though. Wink
KK
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2018 3:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Comparing the feel of a new RH3 to one that's well playe Reply with quote

DeltaJockey wrote:
Do they naturally have some sort of "run in" time, because I like the response of the keys best after some considerable use. I ways thought it was me getting used to a particular keybed, but now that I have been able to compare I think it's changes that occur. Maybe compressing felts is an obvious mechanical change, but I've never been able to compare before.
Anybody notice this change, or agree with the possible explanation?

I can't say it is an advantage to play an older RH3 compared to a new one. On the down side, rubber contacts slowly wear out with time, etc. But one of the possible advantages is that felts indeed compress and after a while can increase key travel from 0,25 to 0,50 mm. Even though very small, this additional key depth can participate in feeling that the RH3 offers a bit more dynamic control, because of the way the contacts work to calculate velocity (as on most other digital keyboards nowadays).

Of course, when comparing two identical Kronos units, one has to be careful and make sure everything is set exactly the same, like Global parameters, using the exact same programs/combis, etc.

One thing I can confirm though is that the RH3 keybed build quality is excellent. I completed a few mods on my Kronos and for one of them I had to disassemble the whole action. I was glad to see that everything was rock solid after more than a year of daily use.
krossuser4

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2018 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dy6Y7LVCEQo
DeltaJockey

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2018 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

krossuser4 wrote:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dy6Y7LVCEQo

thanks, I have seen this video in the past....if only i could understand Hungarian Smile
DeltaJockey

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2018 1:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Comparing the feel of a new RH3 to one that's well playe Reply with quote

KK wrote:

Of course, when comparing two identical Kronos units, one has to be careful and make sure everything is set exactly the same, like Global parameters, using the exact same programs/combis, etc.

this of course is a given.

I must specify though, that I'm not comparing previous RH3 generations, only the current Kronos 2 keybeds. I had previously been discussing the install compatibility of an RH3 in a KX with that of a K2, and I make a distinction between compatibility vs identical part numbers. I would guess there are some minor improvements in the K2 keybed vs the older K's, but from what I have discovered, it is possible to install an RH3 from an X into a 2, because the functionality appears compatible, but they are possibly not the same identical part.

On this post original question, I'm really only trying to determine if there is some kind of bathtub curve where the keybed performance after an initial change levels off for most of it's life before undergoing more rapid change as the wearing components approach the end of their service life....if my description makes any sense Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: