Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

getting samples to play nicely with the kp3?

View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2018 9:26 pm    Post subject: getting samples to play nicely with the kp3? Reply with quote

having some trouble, using the kp3 editor to send samples to the trigger pads, managed to get them sent over ok after a bit of work sorting out midi slots. this thread was a god send
http://www.korgforums.com/forum/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=46173&sid=5f5d9d34c13f00da53cb600ccc359106

so I tried to send them over from the editor, but once they are loaded in the kp3 they sound out of sync with each other, this is really perplexing because I spent hours getting these loops absolutely perfect in a daw. I just loaded them in audacity and they are looping fine in there, they also are the exact same length precisely, they are all 4.528270 seconds long. so it's not that. they seem to start at different points in the loop!? I need all of them to start at the beginning at the same time. how do I get the kp3 to do this?
Spheric El
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2018 3:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi there.
Not sure if this will work but give it a try..
Once samples are loaded go to a sample program - they are after the grain synth and looper programs, before the drums and synths (iirc).
Start all samples (green) then touch the pad anywhere to trigger them.
Now go back to a conventional program like filter or delay and see if your samples are synced.
Any better?
If not -go to edit sample by pressing shift & sample together and click the encoder to allow sample playback type. There is a choice of four and I think you want to choose type one.

Not sure if this will cure your problem, but thought I'd suggest it.
Good luck!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2019 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spheric El wrote:
Hi there.
Not sure if this will work but give it a try..
Once samples are loaded go to a sample program - they are after the grain synth and looper programs, before the drums and synths (iirc).
Start all samples (green) then touch the pad anywhere to trigger them.
Now go back to a conventional program like filter or delay and see if your samples are synced.
Any better?
If not -go to edit sample by pressing shift & sample together and click the encoder to allow sample playback type. There is a choice of four and I think you want to choose type one.

Not sure if this will cure your problem, but thought I'd suggest it.
Good luck!

thankyou the first method worked a treat. if I put it on snp.1 bottom right and hold the xy pad with the dedicated button I can then switch across from each sample and they are all starting at the same time!
I did try the second option too but couldn't get it working this way.
next I need to figure out if it will also midi sync.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2019 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ftr

I can't get them to play all at the same start point if I go back to another program. I have to keep it in snp programs. I am trying to get the kp3 to trigger via midi while all playing at the same start point, basically using the kp3 as a live sample player for playing parts of a song mostly composed in another synth. so the clock and trigger is coming from somewhere else. I don't think this can be done though? at least my attempts so far have just left me scratching my head.
Spheric El
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2019 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you wanting to trigger samples on and off manually (with your hand) or would you be happy triggering samples externally by a programmed midi sequence?

Also I just remembered a tip for aligning samples without the program trick... On any program - hold shift &hit tempo to retrigger all samples from beginning.
Spheric El
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2019 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another question..
The samples that you create on other machines - are they sampled at different tempos and on a variety of samplers or are they all created on the same sampler/program and same tempo?
[Edit..just reread your Og post about audacity].
Reason I ask is samples created on KP3 at different tempos (ie sample 1 loop,then change tempo and sample another)
will drift from each other, even when confined within KP.
Solution -resample all samples within KP (via shift & Sample) at the working tempo. Then all loops will be locked tight (within the KP at least).

[Edit - still worth bearing in mind so left this up to read].

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2019 11:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spheric El wrote:
Are you wanting to trigger samples on and off manually (with your hand) or would you be happy triggering samples externally by a programmed midi sequence?

Also I just remembered a tip for aligning samples without the program trick... On any program - hold shift &hit tempo to retrigger all samples from beginning.

yea sorry I think I should explain better, I got a novation circuit which I would like to use as the master midi and the main part of the set. I can change songs/sets on the fly along with bpm from the circuit. what I need the kp3 for is a sample player, as I don't have enough instrument channels on the circuit. it will play melodic riffs or pads or bassline loops which I have made in preparation to work with each track. what I need is them all to start and stop when the circuit starts and stops, all 4 banks starting a loop at the same point in time with the circuit start point, and I can switch between the banks for each part, muting or soloing the ones at appropriate times. at the moment I am testing this live setup by sending the loops over usb from a laptop but when doing live and a full set I would like to load of an sd card if possible? I think I might run into problems when trying to change tracks and loading up another 4 banks of samples from an sd card as there is usually a long wait for them to load into the 4 banks and I wondered if the kp3 might fall out of sync with the master clock during the process? I do also have a volca sample I could bring in but I don't quite know how at the moment as daisy chaining doesn't seem to be working quite right.

Spheric El wrote:
Another question..
The samples that you create on other machines - are they sampled at different tempos and on a variety of samplers or are they all created on the same sampler/program and same tempo?
[Edit..just reread your Og post about audacity].
Reason I ask is samples created on KP3 at different tempos (ie sample 1 loop,then change tempo and sample another)
will drift from each other, even when confined within KP.
Solution -resample all samples within KP (via shift & Sample) at the working tempo. Then all loops will be locked tight (within the KP at least).

[Edit - still worth bearing in mind so left this up to read].

the samples I made have been using various vst's or in some cases I have sampled my own synths or sampled records. I would then load them up into the daw, reaper, quantise them and stretch them to the nearest rounded bpm. then in audacity wave editor I will open and export them in the correct file format, 16bit 48k and labelled 00-99 .wav. I could try resampling inside the kp3 and see how that changes things, also will try out shift and tempo tip thanks.
Spheric El
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can trigger samples,loops and 1shots on KP3 with note messages from your Circuit.
I'm not sure if this will take up a precious instrument channel from your circuit though. I would sacrifice 4 drums on my ER-1 to instead play silently and trigger the KP3 samples with C3,D3,E3 & F3 note messages, then use the rest of my ER-1 machine to play sounds in sync.
It can be tricky though, depending on how your circuit handles note off messages ie the sustain portion of your notes in the sequencer. If you can set note length on your circuit then this is very useful, because when your note ends the KP can end loop then restart on next note on.
Press shift and sample iirc, to edit your sample playback style. You need to press the encoder to move to the page - which has 4 options. Experiment here to find your trigger mode that matches your style best.
Shift&5 (I think iirc) to select midi notes needed for midi trigger or use the KP editor software.
Spheric El
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

About the daisy chain, yes the Kp3 has no midi thru socket, which is the problem.
A midi thru box or midi splitter would help here.

About the sd card. Yes it is slow isn't it, but the Kp3 will pass audio (can't remember if fx are disabled - maybe). Aslong as you can cover load time with something else making sounds..longer intros, or even a 3rd gadget. An mp3 player or the Volca sample making interludes while you load up (this last method does brake up the flow which may or not suit you).

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spheric El wrote:
About the daisy chain, yes the Kp3 has no midi thru socket, which is the problem.
A midi thru box or midi splitter would help here.

About the sd card. Yes it is slow isn't it, but the Kp3 will pass audio (can't remember if fx are disabled - maybe). Aslong as you can cover load time with something else making sounds..longer intros, or even a 3rd gadget. An mp3 player or the Volca sample making interludes while you load up (this last method does brake up the flow which may or not suit you).

hey man, thanks a lot for the help with all of that. the last tip of shift and tap tempo works great for getting it all synced on any program. Smile

I think I can try a midi split option, switch it from one instrument to the next to get both in time? I notice the kp3 tends to do its own thing over midi, It will bpm lock and change when tempo is adjusted but the start time isn't the same as the master presumably since there isn't a dedicated start/play/stop button on the kp3? I think maybe just using the shift and tap tempo trick and trying to time it just right to get it as close to everything else will be the way to go unless there is another trick to reset the start time of all banks in the kp3 to the master instrument's clock start point?

I think I can do something in the loading time, the volca sample could start a track out with just a beat? or maybe something else? time to get creative! Very Happy
Spheric El
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Consider the Note On messages if you run into problems with the shift & bpm.
You could set all 4 samples to the same note, then trigger that on the first step of your song via the circuit.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spheric El wrote:
Consider the Note On messages if you run into problems with the shift & bpm.
You could set all 4 samples to the same note, then trigger that on the first step of your song via the circuit.

thanks, I had been trying to figure out if there was a way to setup midi using the step sequencer,will give this a go. Smile
Spheric El
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can actually control each sample indervidually via the sequencer if you set a different note for each.
Yes see how your circuit interacts, if it's good or not Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg KAOSS All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: