Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Pulling patch data from old FM synths?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> General Synthesizers/Keyboards
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Derpancakes

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2018 3:02 am    Post subject: Pulling patch data from old FM synths? Reply with quote

Now for the oddest question of the day-- Can anyone conceive of any possible way to reverse-engineer patches off of old 'toy' Yamaha synths? I used to have a PSR-6 and miss the crappy neat sounds it could do. I guarantee my DX7 could match the sounds exactly, but I'd have no idea where to start with recreating them. Has anyone ever tried desoldering the chips on an old Yamaha to pull off any data? I'd really love to hear that someone's done exactly what I'm looking for, but it's such an obscure request I'm afraid I'm never gonna really find an answer.
CharlesFerraro
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2018 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I remember the PSR-6 from when I was super duper young. At first I thought it was a simple PCM rompler but it actually has an FM chip: the YM2413.
Looks like someone made a VST version of it: http://www.keijiro.tokyo/vst2413/
His plug-in doesn't have a skin but DAWs like Cubase and Reaper will allow you to access the parameters with a generic GUI.
There are other YM2413 software emulations that exist too. This guy is programming one in realtime https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M_sPAZZGtsI
Once you have one of the software versions, it's a simply matter of cross programming each parameter of each preset you want with some other FM engine. Luckily the YM2413 has a comparitively simple FM architecture so it won't be hard to cross program with a beefier FM engine like the DX7.

EDIT: This goes into a lot of detail on the architecture of the unit http://www.smspower.org/maxim/Documents/YM2413ApplicationManual
I only breezed through some of the pages but I think the YM2413 is a very simple two operator FM synth that only uses sine waves (just like DX operators). Another important contributor to it's sound is the 9bit DAC so you'll want to run your DX7's 12bit signal through a bitcrusher.
Derpancakes

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2018 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does it have any of the factory patches that would have been found on such keyboards, or is it presented as just the instrument itself?
CharlesFerraro
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2018 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Derpancakes wrote:
Does it have any of the factory patches that would have been found on such keyboards, or is it presented as just the instrument itself?

Lol idk man I don’t have all the answers. Download a few emulators and see what’s up. You’re on your own, goodluck.
wpostma

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2019 2:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why not sample?

Sample multiple velocities and do some long loop free samples.

Warren Canada
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> General Synthesizers/Keyboards All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: