Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

No more updates?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Derek Cook
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Speaking as a long time Yamaha man, and a Korg newbie (“only” having had a Kronos for four years....)

There is something very different between their sound characters (Yamaha and Korg) that make it worth having one from each. I have been lucky that I can afford both a Montage 7 (new bottom board) and my Kronos X61 as the top board.

They are forever complementing each other. I can develop a song on one, and find something on the other to add to it with little overlap.

My Montage reminds my of my SY77. It may “only” have AWM and FM-X, but it is a chameleon in sound like the SY was. But the Kronos CX-3 organs and pianos will eat the Montage any day. Such is the power of the Kronos engines, even 8 years on. And after years of SSD sample streaming and being able to FTP to the Kronos, going back to limited FLASH and USB thumb drives on the Montage is like going back to the Stone Age.

Back OT, I would love to see Korg do more with the Kronos, and as an open platform there is little to stop them other than development time = money, and my fear is that this is part of the equation as to why we have not seen any updates for a while.

I’d love to see the existing synth engines updated, and/or new ones added, and I’d be quite happy to pay for major updates.

Follow kronos.factory development and submit ideas over at the kronos.factory Trello Board

My Echoes Music Website
My Carreg Ddu Music Website
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Derek Cook wrote:
S

Back OT, I would love to see Korg do more with the Kronos, and as an open platform there is little to stop them other than development time = money, and my fear is that this is part of the equation as to why we have not seen any updates for a while.

I’d love to see the existing synth engines updated, and/or new ones added, and I’d be quite happy to pay for major updates.

we all want to see a feature update. Korg has a large 'captive' customer base with Kronos.

I agree, the long pause is connected with 'time + money'. I suspect Korg is focused on selling numerous other products in their product line.

A free feature update might be a lower priority in the scheme of things. I also would be open paying some amount to a significant feature update to our K's.

Lets play with #'s. $100 for a few significant improvements to the K. Lets estimate 2000 K owners would go for that. $200,000 for Korg.
Development cost ( people time + programming) is $50,000

Simplistically, that ROI sounds good to me.
SeedyLee
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 2:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My guess is that they are working on a software update, which will be rolled out on the Kronos' successor. My hunch is that they will make many of the same new features available on the existing Kronos, but the new Kronos will have more hardware power and will have features specific to that revision.
Korg Kronos 2 88, Reface CS, Roland JV-1080, TE OP1, Moog Subsequent 37, Korg ARP Odyssey, Allen & Heath Zed 18, Adam F5, MOTU MIDI Express XT, Lexicon MX200 & MPX1, Yamaha QY700, Yamaha AW16G, Tascam DP008ex, Zoom H6, Organelle, Roland J6 & JU06A

Previous: Triton LE 61/Sampling/64MB/4GB SCSI, MS2000BR, Kronos 1 61, Monotribe, NanoKontrol, NanoKeys, Kaossilator II, Casio HT3000, Roland VP-03, Reface DX, Novation Mininova, MPC One
tdwctdwc

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 4:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SeedyLee wrote:
My guess is that they are working on a software update, which will be rolled out on the Kronos' successor. My hunch is that they will make many of the same new features available on the existing Kronos, but the new Kronos will have more hardware power and will have features specific to that revision.

Let's hope it's not a new "Kronos" but a new "something else" Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: