Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Connecting 3 volcas into one cable

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Viaren

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2018 11:47 am    Post subject: Connecting 3 volcas into one cable Reply with quote

Hi.

For travel jam sessions I want to connect my 3 volcas into my yamaha reface dx. Ive seen videos with people using a kind of squid cable that joins 3 volcas into one output without any mixer etc. Is this a good solution, something that Korg would recommend?

I could make this cable my self, I think I will then have resistors separating the sources, kind of like with an summing op-amp.
megamarkd
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2018 12:53 am    Post subject: Re: Connecting 3 volcas into one cable Reply with quote

Viaren wrote:
Hi.

For travel jam sessions I want to connect my 3 volcas into my yamaha reface dx. Ive seen videos with people using a kind of squid cable that joins 3 volcas into one output without any mixer etc. Is this a good solution, something that Korg would recommend?

I could make this cable my self, I think I will then have resistors separating the sources, kind of like with an summing op-amp.

What you've likely seen is just a simple "splitter" cable used in reverse. They work by simply connecting all the positive tips and isn't the best for the signal as is sums the voltages and you end up with a rather hot signal going into your synth's external input. I'd wager Korg doesn't recommend doing it that way, especially considering that they are selling a Volca 3ch mixer.
Stuff I'm using: Umm right now, well there's a Volca Drum, a Micro Freak, an ADX-1, a Pulse, a Blofeld, a UNO Drum, KeyStep/Beatstep Pro/Keystep Pro (one of each), a Circuit, a LiveTrak L-12 and this nonsense: The Brief-case as it was about a bit over a year ago (the the complete ridiculous GAS monster collection here)and here
slug

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2018 2:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its functional, but passive joiners and mixers are a bad choice if you like good sound quality.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> KORG Volca Series All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: