Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Unable to play notes above middle C when Karma is activated

View previous topic :: View next topic  
In-the-CHORD

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 2:54 am    Post subject: Unable to play notes above middle C when Karma is activated Reply with quote

I know this is a basic question...
When i choose an sound bank using Programs i.e., Hollywood strings and turn on Karma. I cant figure out how to play notes above middle,C. The rythm plays up a storm but that is accompaniment, notes above C go silent. I read somewhere you can change the Karma range so C is active and notes can be played above middle C with Karma on. This setting seems to be the default for most program sounds connected Karma. I have trouble understanding why this would be the default. It makes karma useless to me. I have to turn it off if on to play the program sound.
Any help to get passed this issue would be appreciated.
Bob P.
In-the-CHORD

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2018 1:07 am    Post subject: No responses Reply with quote

Looks like I'm going to have to try to figure this one out on my own .
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2018 1:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

whatever Karma module is used for the Karma pattern has its own key range- that can be changed.

Suggest you provide a factory combi - 1 thats not working for you, but provides a clear example

or is it a Program ( Hollywood strings)
19naia
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2018 2:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Karma GE setup page has key zoning of its own, separate from regular program or combi zoning. You can key zone in the program OCS or zone in Karma GE setup or zone in Combi. Or zone in all 3 areas for no good reason at all other than being able to if you want.

Zoning in the GE setup may be the quick and easy way to limit the range of karma phrase or maybe they zoned out above middle C for some other reason.
Karma phrases rarely sound nice when they run up and down the entire range of the key bed.
Multiple ways of limiting the karma phrase range, but key zoning at GE setup is the easiest.
Thru in Zone settings may also allow both the zoning limits and regular playing above middle C to happen together.

I am not sure what your case is but i would first check the Karma GE setup page for its key zoning and then also try the thru in zone settings.

Down side to having something as advanced as Karma, is that there is a slim chance of a first timer being able to use it without fustration, even for the simplest Arp functions, if you do not put in at least the effort to know everything about what goes on in the Karma GE setup page.
As much as it seems like a good amount of settings for just one screen page, that is merely the Karma setup page, like the introduction before you even get into what the whole story is about.

Well worth it though, to put in the effort to learn how Karma works.
And even if you never get past the GE setup page, the GE setup page opens up functions that you can use beyond merely playing Arp patterns.
And Karma setup is different in Sequencer and Combi when compared to karma used in program mode.
Setup becomes more complex when you have 4 karma modules all together and a Midi I/O section to handle the 4 Karma modules for use among 16 midi tracks/timbre.

I hope your issue is just zoning in Karma GE setup, or as simple as changing thru in zone setting there on the GE setup page. That would be an easy start to learning Karma.
In-the-CHORD

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2018 3:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you GregC and 19naia, those answers will get me going towards a solution. I do appreciate it, I was stuck on this one. I am amazed with how advanced Karma is. I have been going in on the syths and changing some of the modules used in the GE changing the midi patterns and the results are phenomenal and totally unexpected. I was doing this while playing around with some of the SYNTH sounds and found that there was a pattern that included Organ sounds As a sound choice, also found that there were seven other service sounds there one including string engine sound . The Kronos is a treasure chest that just keeps on giving the more you delve into it the more riches there are to find. (speaking to the chior here.)
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2018 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In-the-CHORD wrote:
Thank you GregC and 19naia, those answers will get me going towards a solution. I do appreciate it, I was stuck on this one. I am amazed with how advanced Karma is. I have been going in on the syths and changing some of the modules used in the GE changing the midi patterns and the results are phenomenal and totally unexpected. I was doing this while playing around with some of the SYNTH sounds and found that there was a pattern that included Organ sounds As a sound choice, also found that there were seven other service sounds there one including string engine sound . The Kronos is a treasure chest that just keeps on giving the more you delve into it the more riches there are to find. (speaking to the chior here.)

I think there are over 2000 GE's. They are categorized. One can spend a lot of time going thru them for ideas
StephenKay
KARMA Developer
Approved Merchant
KARMA Developer<br>Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2018 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recently posted a reply to a similar question at Karma-Lab Forums, maybe this can help:

How to set up a Combi with KARMA in the LH only:

On the KARMA GE Setup / Key Zones page:
Assign the KARMA Modules MIDI Input Channel to GCh (Global Channel).
Assign the Output Channels to 2,3,4,5.
Set the Key Zones to go from the lowest note to B3.

On the Timbre Parameter > MIDI Page:
Set the MIDI Channels for the timbres that you want KARMA to play to the corresponding MIDI Output Channel of 2,3,4 or 5.
Set the MIDI Channels of any timbres you want to play with the RH to "GCh" (Global Channel)

On the MIDI Filter/Zones > Keyboard Zone Page:
Set the Key Zone of the RH Timbres to C4 to the highest note.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: