Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Novation SL MkIII Controller
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sam CA
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 6:44 pm    Post subject: Novation SL MkIII Controller Reply with quote

Here's the product demo event for Novation's SL MkIII latest controller. It's a nice controller...comes in 49 and 61 keys (identical features).

Bachus
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The mk2 was a general purpose controller..
And not a simple one, the best of its time

His model is much more specific for todays synth market..
Sam CA
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bachus wrote:

Yeah, and it's more a performance controller than a traditional controller. The keybed sucks, but I loved everything else about it.

Bachus
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sam CA wrote:
Bachus wrote:

Yeah, and it's more a performance controller than a traditional controller. The keybed sucks, but I loved everything else about it.

Thats why is used the zero.. the keyless version..
Untill it got stolen..
BobTheDog
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2018 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So it may be a good controller, I don't know about that.

What I do know is whoever was in control of the pre and post audio on that video needs to get the sack!

If you are video marketing something towards this market get the sound right.
Sam CA
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2018 12:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BobTheDog wrote:

What I do know is whoever was in control of the pre and post audio on that video needs to get the sack!

Bob, I was born in a cave yesterday so forgive me for being such a noob.

megamarkd
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2018 6:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Circuit style sequencer on board, nice. I like the Circuit sequencer.
Stuff I'm using: Umm right now, well there's a Volca Drum, a Micro Freak, an ADX-1, a Pulse, a Blofeld, a UNO Drum, KeyStep/Beatstep Pro/Keystep Pro (one of each), a Circuit, a LiveTrak L-12 and this nonsense: The Brief-case as it was about a bit over a year ago (the the complete ridiculous GAS monster collection here)and here
psionic311
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2018 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Novation X-station is dying, and that thing was integral to my rig with all its functionality. I was looking for a replacement controller, got an Akai MPK61, didn't like it, returned it. Keybed not pro enough, USB cable kept coming loose, and half the time it didn't recognize my Kronos and I had to reboot it.

Really, really digging the new SL Mk3 with all those keyboard zones and the dual MIDI OUT (wish one had merge like the X-station). Those features alone make it an superb way to tie together all the various pieces of gear. And of course that sequencer. Looks very intuitive and productive, and fills in the gap in my rig for quick drum beat production. I bet the keyboard feels nice and has adjustable aftertouch. It ticks all the boxes for me, esp in standalone mode.

It's such a shame I just received my Arturia Keylab 61 Mk2 two days before I found out about the new Novation. Seems like I'm returning purchases about as often as I'm keeping them lately. Confused
megamarkd
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 1:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

psionic311 wrote:
My Novation X-station is dying, and that thing was integral to my rig with all its functionality. I was looking for a replacement controller, got an Akai MPK61, didn't like it, returned it. Keybed not pro enough, USB cable kept coming loose, and half the time it didn't recognize my Kronos and I had to reboot it.

Really, really digging the new SL Mk3 with all those keyboard zones and the dual MIDI OUT (wish one had merge like the X-station). Those features alone make it an superb way to tie together all the various pieces of gear. And of course that sequencer. Looks very intuitive and productive, and fills in the gap in my rig for quick drum beat production. I bet the keyboard feels nice and has adjustable aftertouch. It ticks all the boxes for me, esp in standalone mode.

It's such a shame I just received my Arturia Keylab 61 Mk2 two days before I found out about the new Novation. Seems like I'm returning purchases about as often as I'm keeping them lately. Confused

Doh!
I too have an X-Station I bought 2nd hand purely as a controller. I've NEVER used the synth or the audio interface (I've got much better synths and many an audio interface, not to mention I use hardware recorders then import the .WAV files from the SD cards they record to). I prefer the X-Station to my ReMote25 (the original SL) as it's got more knobs and buttons, but the SL's are better on the MIDI in/out side of things. The flywheel tempo repeater on my SL Zero is indispensable. I noticed that they've done away with the dedicated THRU, which is disappointing.

BobTheDog wrote:

Ah, demos....Perfect Circuit are good for when you just can't find a quick rundown of a machine's things, but they are a quite bad quality. Sonic State's demo is much better:
Stuff I'm using: Umm right now, well there's a Volca Drum, a Micro Freak, an ADX-1, a Pulse, a Blofeld, a UNO Drum, KeyStep/Beatstep Pro/Keystep Pro (one of each), a Circuit, a LiveTrak L-12 and this nonsense: The Brief-case as it was about a bit over a year ago (the the complete ridiculous GAS monster collection here)and here
Sam CA
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 4:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guys, this is just a video I took myself from the event. That's all it is!

Bachus
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 4:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sam CA wrote:

Don't worry Sam..

They are complaining about the sound of a product that does not make any sounds it selves.. maybe they should stick to the point and discuss the content offered.. for me this is in the same category as complaining about someone's grammar instead of adding something meaningful to the discussion.
megamarkd
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 5:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bachus wrote:
Sam CA wrote:

Don't worry Sam..

They are complaining about the sound of a product that does not make any sounds it selves.. maybe they should stick to the point and discuss the content offered.. for me this is in the same category as complaining about someone's grammar instead of adding something meaningful to the discussion.

Mate I'm not complaining about anything, I just provided a video with pro sound for the guy who wanted pro sound. If you want to point out the irony of music in a controller demo vid, watch Novation's own promo, it's very silly.
megamarkd
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 5:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sam CA wrote:

Sam, I think your video is fine and always appreciate your efforts in filming and posting them. You are a legend!
jimknopf
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No problem with the video, but the Novation board has some major weaknesses making it a complete no go for me:

- it does no longer offer automap (which had enough issues and did not keep pace with software udates for integration, but could have been great with a proper software team keeping it bug free and up to date)
- instead it now only offers Ableton integration (and only two more DAWs planned for future integration, not including Cubase)
- an utterly poor 16 step sequencer? Seriously? 64 steps should be regarded as minimal standard nowadays.

Add questionable keybed quality, as far as I heard from people with hands on experience

At first I thought "nice", and then, at closer look at the specs, "what the heck were they thinking offering it like that???"
Sam CA
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

psionic311 wrote:

Yes, you can access everything pretty fast directly from the panel, so that's definitely a plus for real time performance. Buttons are nice and big and feel just right. I just didn't like the keybed but I'm sure no one is going to use this to play Liszt Etudes, so probably it's good enough for the reason it was made.
It's a good controller for me, but my synth requirements are pretty minimal. It'd be interesting to see how well it works within a more advanced rig.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Latest News All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: