Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Novation SL MkIII Controller
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sam CA
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bachus wrote:
Sam CA wrote:
Guys, this is just a video I took myself from the event. That's all it is!

Don't worry Sam..

They are complaining about the sound of a product that does not make any sounds it selves.. maybe they should stick to the point and discuss the content offered.. for me this is in the same category as complaining about someone's grammar instead of adding something meaningful to the discussion.

BobTheDog got emotional a bit. He probably confused this with a mixing mastering video.

Sam CA
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

megamarkd wrote:
Sam CA wrote:
Guys, this is just a video I took myself from the event. That's all it is!

Sam, I think your video is fine and always appreciate your efforts in filming and posting them. You are a legend!

Thank you megamarkd. This is my hobby and I'm treating it as such. It's impossible to get a direct feed from the house sound system for many reasons. Besides, I don't want to be a problem for the host (in this case Perfect Circuit Audio) as they're always busy working on their own official stream, so yeah this audio is from the built-in mic on a Canon camera.

Sam CA
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jimknopf wrote:
No problem with the video, but the Novation board has some major weaknesses making it a complete no go for me:

- it does no longer offer automap (which had enough issues and did not keep pace with software udates for integration, but could have been great with a proper software team keeping it bug free and up to date)
- instead it now only offers Ableton integration (and only two more DAWs planned for future integration, not including Cubase)
- an utterly poor 16 step sequencer? Seriously? 64 steps should be regarded as minimal standard nowadays.

Add questionable keybed quality, as far as I heard from people with hands on experience

At first I thought "nice", and then, at closer look at the specs, "what the heck were they thinking offering it like that???"

I still have their original SL in mint condition sitting in the closet. Their Automap software doesn't support ProTool's AAX format, so I could only use it to input notes pretty much. For a whole year they promised an update that never came.

Wouldn't be hard to deal with 64 steps in real time though? Either you would have to have much smaller buttons, or have multiple pages. I think 16 would be enough for live performance, but not enough for advanced sequencing.

megamarkd
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

16 step limit on the pattern length but each sequence has eight patterns that can be chained. The Circuit sequencer is really good for quick creation, improvisation and on-the-fly editing. Really each bank is a 128 step pattern with length and 1st/last step parameters as real time settings.

Oh yeah the SL programming software is shocking, but usable if you don't need to use it often. I've not used controllers with a computer since the G4 days though I do remember that the ReMote25 was stupidly hard to connect whereas the Edirol just worked.
That said, Novation have been a lot better with Circuit support, maybe it's a sign of the future?
Stuff I'm using: Umm right now, well there's a Volca Drum, a Micro Freak, an ADX-1, a Pulse, a Blofeld, a UNO Drum, KeyStep/Beatstep Pro/Keystep Pro (one of each), a Circuit, a LiveTrak L-12 and this nonsense: The Brief-case as it was about a bit over a year ago (the the complete ridiculous GAS monster collection here)and here
Sam CA
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

megamarkd wrote:
16 step limit on the pattern length but each sequence has eight patterns that can be chained. The Circuit sequencer is really good for quick creation, improvisation and on-the-fly editing. Really each bank is a 128 step pattern with length and 1st/last step parameters as real time settings.

Oh yeah the SL programming software is shocking, but usable if you don't need to use it often. I've not used controllers with a computer since the G4 days though I do remember that the ReMote25 was stupidly hard to connect whereas the Edirol just worked.
That said, Novation have been a lot better with Circuit support, maybe it's a sign of the future?

You also have the standard step patterns and randomization. That should be more than enough for most. Sometimes having too much control turns the device into a computer based tool.

psionic311
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 1:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, that's a shame to hear the keybed sucks. My X-station, Remote 61, and Remote 25 all have pretty good keybeds with aftertouch. I just assumed these would have equally good keybeds.

Still digging that zone layout thing, it's perfect for what I was looking for in my rig. I had previously deliberated how best to divvy up my PX-5S custom stage settings using 4 zones to control all my gear across 10 different MIDI channels, and when I saw the SL Mk3 zone thing I thought they had read my mind. Novation probably has a good idea on what their target market needs. That makes sense to have easy peasy zone control as there's been a glut of gear the past decade or so. Most bedroom studios probably have around a half dozen pieces of MIDI gear to tie together.

Ah well, guess I'll learn to love the Keylab instead.
Sam CA
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 2:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

psionic311 wrote:
Wow, that's a shame to hear the keybed sucks. ....

You should try it for yourself. It's probably just me that don't like the keybed of any midi controller just about.

megamarkd
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like the ReMote25 in 2003, the SL mk iii is going to cost $1,000aud....

Sam CA wrote:
psionic311 wrote:
Wow, that's a shame to hear the keybed sucks. ....

You should try it for yourself. It's probably just me that don't like the keybed of any midi controller just about.

I'd expect it's the same keybed as the last line of SL's, which is good but not great. "Synth action" as they call it. I have a day off during an away job next week and I've already sussed out where the instrument stores are in that city, so I think I'll be trying one out. For all the gushing I've been doing, I'm really hoping they fixed the touch sensitive knobs. They were too sensitive on the mk ii's and I had to turn off that feature, which really made me annoyed that I paid for something that didn't work completely.
Stuff I'm using: Umm right now, well there's a Volca Drum, a Micro Freak, an ADX-1, a Pulse, a Blofeld, a UNO Drum, KeyStep/Beatstep Pro/Keystep Pro (one of each), a Circuit, a LiveTrak L-12 and this nonsense: The Brief-case as it was about a bit over a year ago (the the complete ridiculous GAS monster collection here)and here
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Latest News All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: